Capcom and Bandai Namco announce cross-licensing agreement

Started by Raven, Jun 19, 2017, 08:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

the-pi-guy

Capcom Bandai Namco Games, I can see it now.

darkknightkryta

Jun 19, 2017, 12:10 PM Last Edit: Jun 19, 2017, 12:11 PM by darkknightkryta
Capcom and Bandai Namco Announce Cross-Licensing Agreement to Accelerate Production, Reduce Costs and More

Sounds like Capcom is leaning on Bandai Namco. I would not be surprised if this ends up being the beginning of a merger.
I really wanna know what happened between Gen 7 and 8 where Capcom went from pumping title after title, to struggling to get titles out.

I just read the article, how the hell to you patent gameplay?

Dr. Pezus

A Capcom and Bamco merger would be pretty cool.

Raven

I really wanna know what happened between Gen 7 and 8 where Capcom went from pumping title after title, to struggling to get titles out.

I just read the article, how the hell to you patent gameplay?
I'm going to guess it's not just patenting and probably also includes helping to protect characters and other IPs. As far as patenting goes, that could be certain ways they do online functionality, as it sounds like this is a big part of it. I don't know. This just sounds to me like the beginning of an eventual merger. A series of small steps that leads to Bandai Namco absorbing them. Either that would come with another name change or Capcom would be kept as a development house within Bandai Namco so they could continue to use the branding.

darkknightkryta

I'm going to guess it's not just patenting and probably also includes helping to protect characters and other IPs. As far as patenting goes, that could be certain ways they do online functionality, as it sounds like this is a big part of it. I don't know. This just sounds to me like the beginning of an eventual merger. A series of small steps that leads to Bandai Namco absorbing them. Either that would come with another name change or Capcom would be kept as a development house within Bandai Namco so they could continue to use the branding.
I agree.  I'm just saying it's weird that Capcom has patents of fighting games.  Maybe they plan to make a new fight network server, which would be super awesome.  Like being able to see top Tekken players, or Street Fighter players from one game.  Maybe even make a base platform to load up Tekken or Street Fighter games... but that's wishful thinking.

BasilZero

I'm 50/50 on it.

It would either make Capcom's franchises specifically smaller ones like Mega Man and Breath of Fire get more entries and not just ports or....

It could spell disaster for Namco Bandai as they could fall down to what Capcom has become and struggle lol.

I'd rather have them be separated and see titles like Namco VS Capcom (not Namco X Capcom) or Namco bandai buying Capcom rather than a merger.

Aura7541

Well, it sounds a lot better than the Level-5 and Comcept merger.