Star Citizen

Started by Raven, Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

May 27, 2017, 02:23 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:36 AM by Legend
Did you hear about them confirming no ship to ship docking at release?

On one hand it sucks cause that's a pretty integral feature, but on the other hand it's a good sign that they have the end in sight and are really trying to finish it as a whole.

Raven

May 27, 2017, 02:30 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:34 AM by Raven
Did you hear about them confirming no ship to ship docking at release?

On one hand it sucks cause that's a pretty integral feature, but on the other hand it's a good sign that they have the end in site and are really trying to finish it as a whole.
Yeah. Ship-to-ship docking has been a topic for awhile now and they made it clear a while back that it's not easy. I'm guessing it's because they have all of these other systems they need to implement that ship-to-ship would require them to have and perfected before they even attempt it. Nothing would suck more than trying to dock like that and having both ships suddenly blow up because the underlying systems messed up the two combining local physics grids. Though it would make for some awesome comedy.

But yeah, it's good that they're becoming realistic about what they can get in within a reasonable time. Like you said, it shows us that they are really looking at getting this thing done.

Raven

Raven

Here is a list of things expected to have been completed for 3.0 this week. This list is based on the expected completion dates from the 3.0 schedule report. Some of these things may not end up actually being completed this week and may end up being postponed to a later date. Though until told otherwise, it is assumed these things met their target dates.

May 31st
- New Message Queue: Streamlining messages with less overhead along with features that will help with packet loss and jitters to help reduce bandwidth and latency
- Stamina: This mechanic will bring temporary consequences to some of the actions you perform such as sprinting for too long which will cause fatigue and make aiming difficult
- Doors & Airlocks: An update to how doors and airlocks work so that they operate intelligently depending on if the room beyond is pressurized or not
- Planetary Tech: Implementation of the physics grids for planets and modular space stations
- Solar System Tool: No information
- Entity Update Component Scheduler: Lower priority entities will be updated less frequently to improve framerate and allow for more content to be added
- Missions System: The overall system used to create mission flows

June 1st
- Item 2.0 Ship Conversion Part 1: The first part of a process to completely convert all currently available ships to the Item 2.0 system
- Kiosk Support: A support UI for kiosks used to buy and sell cargo
- Inventory System Support: This will offer a way for the player to manage the cargo stored in the ships they own
- Mission Board App: An app that will allow players to see service beacons set up around the universe by other players
- Klaus and Werner Gallant Rifle: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases

June 2nd
- Surface Outposts: The moons will have outposts on their surface to explore
- Mission Givers: Actual in-game NPCs with character models that give you particular missions to complete in addition to the more simplistic randomized/dynamic missions
- Insurance: The first iteration of the insurance system which you can use to request a replacement ship should your current one be rendered damaged beyond repair
- Cargo: Commodities purchased at a kiosk will become physical objects to be transported in your cargo hold
- Commodities: Implementing items to represent units of tradeable cargo
- Persistent Damage, Ammo, and Missiles: This will save the state of your vehicle instead of refreshing it every new play session
- Rover and Dragonfly in Ships: The Ursa Rover and the Dragonfly will be able to be transported in ships large enough to hold them
- IFCS Performance Improvements: The IFCS system will now work in batch updates to improve performance
- Mission Manager App: A redesign of the current Mission App that will allow for more control over mission tracking
- MobiGlas Overhaul: This will allow the mobiGlas system to better read what the gamecode is doing and make it easier for the UI team to maintain
- Environment Probe: This will allow for bounced lighting and reflections to be updated dynamically
- Physics Serialization: Fixing some long standing threading issues by improving separation of physics and netcode
- RSI Ursa Rover: This vehicle will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases

Raven

Jun 01, 2017, 03:47 AM Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017, 04:52 AM by Raven
Just to note, the list of items aiming to be completed this week is larger than the remaining items for the following weeks. Without a doubt, a lot of these will be pushed back. But I think if even 10 of these get completed this week, that will be good progress.

Also, Citizens of the Stars was interesting this week. Todd Papy was the guest for Quantum Questions this week and he had a couple answers that caught my attention. For starters, there will be no parachutes in 3.0 if you eject in the atmosphere. Might as well die with your ship for now. He was then asked when the snub fighter that attaches to the rear of the Constellation, the Merlin, will be able to detach and re-attach. He said they're aiming for 3.0 but there are some technical issues at the moment. I found this very interesting because we just talked about ship-to-ship docking not being in the game at release and this is pretty close to that. Escape pods will not function for 3.0. If you exit your ship in atmospheric flight, you will fall and die. Mess halls in ships will have uses like affecting your stamina but he doesn't see that being a thing in 3.0.

Legend

WHat are the plans for how stamina works?

DOcking a ship within one is a different problem than docking side by side. The fighter can essentially despawn once attatched and be replaced with a static model from the parent ship. Also the fighter has a single seat so there aren't physics grids to mess with in this patch.

PArachutes are dumb. Emergency jet packs make more sense since they could work in any atmosphere. Also are cooler and an automated suicide burn right at landing would be awesome!

Raven

WHat are the plans for how stamina works?

DOcking a ship within one is a different problem than docking side by side. The fighter can essentially despawn once attatched and be replaced with a static model from the parent ship. Also the fighter has a single seat so there aren't physics grids to mess with in this patch.

PArachutes are dumb. Emergency jet packs make more sense since they could work in any atmosphere. Also are cooler and an automated suicide burn right at landing would be awesome!
The only thing I know about stamina for sure is that if you exhaust it, it will slow you down, cause you to drain oxygen faster, and make your aiming difficult. Beyond that, I have no clue.

The Rover certainly isn't a single seat vehicle so you would indeed have a physics grid within a physics grid. Even if it became a static model once you left it, the moment you interact with it it becomes its own model again within the ship. I never said it was all the same. I said it's pretty close. We will have a working example of ships docking, even if it is a small one-seater with a larger ship, and a vehicle that is much more than a single seater being loaded, transported, and then unloaded within other ships. We already know that we're going to be landing on things like frigates, destroyers, and carriers with an assortment of various ships in the not so distant future. I'm just wondering how much more complex it is than what they're already aiming to accomplish with 3.0. I wonder how exactly the larger ships will work when docking with stations. Will that be easy simply because the stations themselves are largely static? Last I heard, the larger ships won't use landing pads but docking points instead.

Yeah, parachutes don't make any sense to me in a science fiction setting where I have suit thrusters. Can I really not use them to at least slow my descent to a non-lethal speed?

Legend

The only thing I know about stamina for sure is that if you exhaust it, it will slow you down, cause you to drain oxygen faster, and make your aiming difficult. Beyond that, I have no clue.

The Rover certainly isn't a single seat vehicle so you would indeed have a physics grid within a physics grid. Even if it became a static model once you left it, the moment you interact with it it becomes its own model again within the ship. I never said it was all the same. I said it's pretty close. We will have a working example of ships docking, even if it is a small one-seater with a larger ship, and a vehicle that is much more than a single seater being loaded, transported, and then unloaded within other ships. We already know that we're going to be landing on things like frigates, destroyers, and carriers with an assortment of various ships in the not so distant future. I'm just wondering how much more complex it is than what they're already aiming to accomplish with 3.0. I wonder how exactly the larger ships will work when docking with stations. Will that be easy simply because the stations themselves are largely static? Last I heard, the larger ships won't use landing pads but docking points instead.

Yeah, parachutes don't make any sense to me in a science fiction setting where I have suit thrusters. Can I really not use them to at least slow my descent to a non-lethal speed?
Are the rover and dragonfly still on for 3.0? They rest inside the ships instead of attaching so it'd be a different physics problem.

It's hard though without knowing the intricacies of their engine. From the outside it honestly looks trivial. Their system might not be able to support nested physics grids, but it definitely should be possible to transfer all players over to the larger ship's grid and let local physics handle the minor movements. If they can have you ride an elevator in a ship, the same setup should work for walking on a larger moving object AKA a docked ship.

Obviously it isn't this easy with their setup but I have no idea why it wouldn't be this easy. They must have some hard limit with a component that isn't feasible to expand at the moment. A single seater sticking into it's slot avoids a lot of components: no physics grids, no non scripted movement, only a defined ship fits, game already supports the docked version, and the fighter doesn't necessarily need to be parented to the main ship. Including that doesn't necessarily solve any problems that exist with docking full ships.

Raven

Jun 01, 2017, 09:37 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 02:36 AM by Raven
Are the rover and dragonfly still on for 3.0? They rest inside the ships instead of attaching so it'd be a different physics problem.

It's hard though without knowing the intricacies of their engine. From the outside it honestly looks trivial. Their system might not be able to support nested physics grids, but it definitely should be possible to transfer all players over to the larger ship's grid and let local physics handle the minor movements. If they can have you ride an elevator in a ship, the same setup should work for walking on a larger moving object AKA a docked ship.

Obviously it isn't this easy with their setup but I have no idea why it wouldn't be this easy. They must have some hard limit with a component that isn't feasible to expand at the moment. A single seater sticking into it's slot avoids a lot of components: no physics grids, no non scripted movement, only a defined ship fits, game already supports the docked version, and the fighter doesn't necessarily need to be parented to the main ship. Including that doesn't necessarily solve any problems that exist with docking full ships.
Both the Rover and Dragonfly are in 3.0. The Dragonfly was completed weeks ago and the Rover is expected to be finished this week along with the tech for transporting vehicles inside of ships.

What makes me curious is how the Anvil Crucible will work. That's a repair ship that smaller ships land on. Many smaller ships still have their own physics grids and basically have to land right on the Crucible, which obviously has its own grid. That ship is supposed to be coming during the 3.0 patch cycle. How much different would that be than just having a specific point where two ships attach to each other? If that is largely the same problem, then the Crucible can't even perform its function.

I'm just having a hard time imagining that all of these other ways are possible but somehow two ships connecting at a specific point is just too much of a technical hurdle to have on Day 1.

Raven

Here is an update on the schedule report list.

Here is a list of things expected to have been completed for 3.0 this week. This list is based on the expected completion dates from the 3.0 schedule report. Some of these things may not end up actually being completed this week and may end up being postponed to a later date. Though until told otherwise, it is assumed these things met their target dates.

May 31st
- New Message Queue: Streamlining messages with less overhead along with features that will help with packet loss and jitters to help reduce bandwidth and latency
  (Pushed back to June 9th as bugs have arisen)
- Stamina: This mechanic will bring temporary consequences to some of the actions you perform such as sprinting for too long which will cause fatigue and make aiming difficult
   (Complete though it will be iterated on further in future releases)
- Doors & Airlocks: An update to how doors and airlocks work so that they operate intelligently depending on if the room beyond is pressurized or not
   (Pushed back to June 22nd due to tech side delays)
- Planetary Tech: Implementation of the physics grids for planets and modular space stations
   (Complete)
- Solar System Tool: No information
   (Complete)
- Entity Update Component Scheduler: Lower priority entities will be updated less frequently to improve framerate and allow for more content to be added
   (No update)
- Missions System: The overall system used to create mission flows
   (No update)

June 1st
- Item 2.0 Ship Conversion Part 1: The first part of a process to completely convert all currently available ships to the Item 2.0 system
   (Complete)
   (Pushed back to June 9th)
- Inventory System Support: This will offer a way for the player to manage the cargo stored in the ships they own
   (Pushed back to June 16th as the Network Engineering Team is occupied)
- Mission Board App: An app that will allow players to see service beacons set up around the universe by other players
  (TBD)
- Klaus and Werner Gallant Rifle: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
   (Complete)

June 2nd
- Surface Outposts: The moons will have outposts on their surface to explore
   (Complete)
- Mission Givers: Actual in-game NPCs with character models that give you particular missions to complete in addition to the more simplistic randomized/dynamic missions
   (Pushed back to June 9th for additional work on new requirements)
- Insurance: The first iteration of the insurance system which you can use to request a replacement ship should your current one be rendered damaged beyond repair
   (Pushed back to June 9th though the network and persistence work has progressed to a point where they can now move to complete this item)
- Cargo: Commodities purchased at a kiosk will become physical objects to be transported in your cargo hold
   (Pushed back to June 16th as the Network Engineering Team is occupied)
   (Pushed back to June 9th as the Network Engineering Team is occupied)
- Persistent Damage, Ammo, and Missiles: This will save the state of your vehicle instead of refreshing it every new play session
   (Pushed back to June 7th as the Network Engineering Team is occupied)
- Rover and Dragonfly in Ships: The Ursa Rover and the Dragonfly will be able to be transported in ships large enough to hold them
   (Pushed back to June 16th as ship physics needs to be altered)
- IFCS Performance Improvements: The IFCS system will now work in batch updates to improve performance
   (Complete)
- Mission Manager App: A redesign of the current Mission App that will allow for more control over mission tracking
   (TBD as work will not begin until Kiosk UI is complete)
- MobiGlas Overhaul: This will allow the mobiGlas system to better read what the gamecode is doing and make it easier for the UI team to maintain
   (TBD)
- Environment Probe: This will allow for bounced lighting and reflections to be updated dynamically
   (Pushed back to June 9th as previously unknown issues have caused delays)
- Physics Serialization: Fixing some long standing threading issues by improving separation of physics and netcode
  (Pushed back to June 9th as bugs have blocked needed departments)
  (Pushed back to June 9th as this item is still waiting for code support)

Debris Fields, which were previously intended to be complete on May 26th but had no update, are now complete. The Behring P8-SC gun was also completed this week. So overall, 9 items were completed this week.

Raven

Raven

Legend

What's that first photo? A Store? Looks kinda fan made and low quality compared to everything else.

I love the chinese writing in that white environment.

Raven

What's that first photo? A Store? Looks kinda fan made and low quality compared to everything else.

I love the chinese writing in that white environment.
LOL That is a picture of an initial design idea for how the Dumper's Depot kiosk would look. It was on their January Studio update. Definitely NOT fan made.

Raven

June 5th
- Item 2.0 Multi-function Displays: All MFDs are being converted to the new system to allow players greater control of their ships

June 6th
- Cargo Manifest App: This app will allow players to check their ship's cargo
- Inventory System: Personal inventory that is closely linked to the cargo manifest app

June 7th
- Kiosk UI: This will allow players to buy and sell commodities with various vendors

June 8th
- Player Manned Turrets: No Information
- Personal Manager App: This app will allow players to look at their inventory and customize their suits and weapons

June 9th
- Derelict Ships: Added for exploration and potential points of interest
- Heavy Armor for Star Marine: Heavy armor will now be available for selection in Star Marine
- AI Turrets: This will allow NPCs to operate turrets and accurately track and fire at correct targets
- Volumetric Fog: More realistic fog/mist effects
- Apocalypse Arms Scourge Railgun: This weapon will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
- Arrowhead Sniper Rifle: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases
- Ksar Devastator-12 Shotgun: This rework will now be ready for use when 3.0 releases

Go Up