SpaceX Interplanetary Transport System announced

Started by Legend, Sep 27, 2016, 08:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Quick Info:
First flight to Mars NET 2022.
550 tons to LEO. Previous record was 130 tons for Saturn V.
13 Kt liftoff thrust. Previous record was 4 Kt for Saturn V.
100-200 people to Mars in a single rocket.

DD_Bwest

so awesome!   going to be crazy to see one of these launch.   rather ambitious time frame, but atleast they have a raptor test fire under the belt lol

Raven

While people freaked out over Brangelina splitting up, Elon Musk just announced the next step in his plan to become emperor of the human race. I, for one, welcome our new overlord.

Dr. Pezus

Elon Musk is naughtiness

Legend

so awesome!   going to be crazy to see one of these launch.   rather ambitious time frame, but atleast they have a raptor test fire under the belt lol
Raptor test fired and well underway with constructing the rocket itself.

First full sized ship mockup/test unit could be within two years! I'm amazed though that humans landing is 8 years away and yet that timescale seems like nothing!

DD_Bwest

Raptor test fired and well underway with constructing the rocket itself.

First full sized ship mockup/test unit could be within two years! I'm amazed though that humans landing is 8 years away and yet that timescale seems like nothing!
Well, Nasa got to the moon in less then 8 years after the JFK declaration.

the-pi-guy

If NASA got the same percentage of the federal budget it had during it's peak this year, it'd get about $176 billion.
About 10x what it is getting this year. 

I think that's pretty crazy. 

Legend

Sep 28, 2016, 12:48 AM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2016, 01:41 AM by Legend
The QA was so bad that they held an impromptu press only meeting right afterwards.

tombojuggles comments on r/SpaceX Official Mars Architecture Announcement/IAC 2016 Live Thread - Updates & Discussion

This is the engine that will power the rocket.

Xevross

Elon Musk is my dream future me

Legend

the-pi-guy

Elon Musk is my dream future me
If you notice in the seconds 5-7 of that video he shared, you see Xe (which coincidentally has 5 letters, and Xevross has 7 letters).  
Coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not.  But it means something!  You have a chance!  :D

Spoiler for Hidden:
It probably means nothing...

Legend

Video is finally getting some good view numbers. At 924k right now.

Legend

I was correct for once!

DD_Bwest

it better have a hand crank for redundancy lol or some kinda backup

Legend

it better have a hand crank for redundancy lol or some kinda backup
Mars has a third Earth's gravity. You could just climb up the rope.

Also video is now up to 2.5 million views. I was kinda shocked when for a while it looked like it wouldn't pass their Falcon Heavy animation.