Started by Slayer, Sep 05, 2014, 02:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Phil podcast about Scorpio.

Some key points...

- Scorpio will be probably called Xbox One "Something"
- Xbox One S will best seller SKU for them
- Scorpio is for hardcores and it will be priced as premium product... like Elite controller
- They got the SoC in October 2016
Him making the premium product pricing point again just keeps telling me it's gonna be $500 at the lowest.  

And does the last point pretty much rule out zen?

Raven

Him making the premium product pricing point again just keeps telling me it's gonna be $500 at the lowest.  

And does the last point pretty much rule out zen?
I do believe it was more or less confirmed in the document leak Eurogamer snagged that Zen was ruled out. Scorpio's CPU is not likely to be anything special and probably won't really be any faster than what PS4 Pro is using. From what it sounded like, the only thing Scorpio has going for it over PS4 Pro is the GPU, which is about 50% more powerful. That alone does not mean the console itself is that much more powerful, as we saw in the difference between PS4 and XBO. It also sounded like Scorpio will have to use special techniques to achieve a 4K resolution on many titles, similar to the checkerboard rendering used in Horizon. Basically, and as we all figured, Scorpio isn't actually powerful enough to brute force a 4K resolution on all games.

The most likely scenario is that Scorpio will more often achieve a native 4K resolution but not to the extent many believed and whether or not it even matters compared to special rendering techniques remains to be seen. In addition, some games may have better framerate on Scorpio but that may depend on locked framerates. If the game cannot actually achieve 60fps with the additional power, it may just be left at its capped framerate to avoid the issues that occur when framerate frequently changes. That's a big question a lot of people have right now. Can a 50% more powerful GPU achieve a 100% increase in framerate by itself? If the game was already achieving 60fps on lesser hardware, it won't matter. The difference between Scorpio and PS4 Pro is likely only to be seen by those with 4K TV sets and, again, that will boil down to how much better, if at all, a native 4K resolution looks by comparison to a special kind of rendering and upscaling.

As far as price goes, I don't think Phil is alluding to a $500 price tag. I think he's just making sure people understand that this will be substantially more expensive than the $250 Xbox One S. Anyone expecting a $300 console is going to be disappointed. If Scorpio were to launch at $500 it would be dead quite quickly. It can't be $100 more expensive than its competitor right out of the gate. Microsoft should understand by now that Xbox does not have the weight behind it to get away with charging that much.

Kerotan

The way I see it they can't go really powerful because if it's expensive it flops.  Sony have the ability to cut the base ps4 to $199 if needs be and who kbiwwith the Pro we could see a $299 or $349 pro this fall.  Going to make xbox a hard sell when the opposition has the ability to go so low.

DerNebel

Supposedly the Scorpio will be shown off next week with Forza 7, apparently through a third party site and not MS themselves (potentially Eurogamer/DF). If true then that should hopefully finally quiet down the people still left, that think this will be a totally new console generation. Cause MS would never show of their true next gen system, that is supposed to sell to the mass market in such a low key way.

All of this comes from Jez Corden, the colossal crustard, btw.

Jez

Raven

Supposedly the Scorpio will be shown off next week with Forza 7, apparently through a third party site and not MS themselves (potentially Eurogamer/DF). If true then that should hopefully finally quiet down the people still left, that think this will be a totally new console generation. Cause MS would never show of their true next gen system, that is supposed to sell to the mass market in such a low key way.

Jez
Really not understanding the insistence that Scorpio is an entirely next-gen device. The specs that Eurogamer reported on absolutely do not support that idea. It is not nearly the kind of upgrade over its predecessor one would expect. Furthermore, unless Microsoft pulls yet another 180, it was already stated that no games can be made exclusively for Scorpio. Same as it is for Pro. So not only do the specs rule that out but so does the software limitation. This sounds to me like the wishful thinking of some hardcore Xbox fans who want this generation to end now because it has basically been a nightmare for their breed. I really do not understand these people. I have personally met and know fans of all types in the gaming community and not a single one of them acts like these fanboys.

Legend

Jez
Who is Jez Corden?

Even if Scorpio was a toaster, I can't imagine Microsoft revealing it in that fashion.

DerNebel

Apr 01, 2017, 09:14 PM Last Edit: Apr 01, 2017, 09:20 PM by DerNebel
Really not understanding the insistence that Scorpio is an entirely next-gen device. The specs that Eurogamer reported on absolutely do not support that idea. It is not nearly the kind of upgrade over its predecessor one would expect. Furthermore, unless Microsoft pulls yet another 180, it was already stated that no games can be made exclusively for Scorpio. Same as it is for Pro. So not only do the specs rule that out but so does the software limitation. This sounds to me like the wishful thinking of some hardcore Xbox fans who want this generation to end now because it has basically been a nightmare for their breed. I really do not understand these people. I have personally met and know fans of all types in the gaming community and not a single one of them acts like these fanboys.
Yeah, it's embarrassing that there's an insistence like this. Though it probably doesn't help when you have some devs making stupid comments on Gaf where they say things like "the Scorpio is totally not a half step, unlike the PS4 Pro" or when Aaron Greenberg starts the year posting something on twitter along the lines of "This is the year of the Scorpio. Are you ready for the beast?" or when games media personalities like Colin Moriarty for months completely ignore MS' own public statements and repeatedly proclaim that the Scorpio is going to be a "quantum leap" over the X1 and clearly a new generation for Xbox. This dumb idea has been perpetuated for quite some time now and I think it's going to be pretty entertaining to see it all being shattered once it happens.

Who is Jez Corden?

Even if Scorpio was a toaster, I can't imagine Microsoft revealing it in that fashion.
Writer for Windowscentral, pretty reliable, mostly because Windowscentral is essentially a MS marketing outlet. I don't know if you remember the heated discussions we had last December about the November NPD number leaks, where some people didn't believe them because they came from a person that took part in crudgamer podcasts. That person was Jez Corden.

Aura7541

Who is Jez Corden?

Jez is one of the writers at Windows Central. For a while, he published the NPD hardware numbers but haven't done that since January.

I think Microsoft is doing this to maintain publicity. Switch is getting a whole lot of attention because as soon as it gets back in stock, it sells out. The PS4 is getting a whole lot of exclusive software and positive press as a result of it.

Legend

So the reveal info might be true...

Any details on it? I can't come up with a scenario that doesn't make this reveal stupid. Scorpio needs a Microsoft hosted event to be properly shown off and marketed. If they only show Forza 7 gameplay on Scorpio and not much else, then why couldn't that gameplay just be held off till E3?

Ludicrous Speed

Most powerful console ever  ;D

Can't wait. Forza though zzzzzz. Sim racers are sooooo 2 gens ago. Can't wait to see some State of Decay 2 or Crackdown running on it though.

Raven

Most powerful console ever  ;D

Can't wait. Forza though zzzzzz. Sim racers are sooooo 2 gens ago. Can't wait to see some State of Decay 2 or Crackdown running on it though.
*starts to cry*

Thank you. I said it back when this gen started that sim racers were dropping in popularity.

Xevross

DerNebel

dang so it is true. I can't wait to find out what this thing is
A somewhat stronger PS4 Pro

nnodley

A somewhat stronger PS4 Pro
Can't wait for the new list wars showing scorpio having a total 5 more games at native 4k than ps4 pro.   ;D

Go Up