What do you expect next gen games to look like?

Started by Legend, Apr 08, 2018, 05:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Real time lighting and pbr became big this gen. We've also had lots of dynamic animations to make things feel interconnected.

What do you expect for next gen?

the-pi-guy

I expect them to look good.

*shrugs*

Legend

I think we might start seeing raymarching engines used more. Dreams is about the only one on PS4. We'll definitely see more raymarching elements implemented into rasterized games, as that's already becoming big.

Reflections could be one of the things to get bumped up. Screen space reflections are pretty common right now but I could see lots of games switching to more accurate methods, like maybe raymarching.

Triangle counts will probably not increase that much overal. They'll definitely still go up but tessellation and what not will help make faces looking towards the camera not get unnecessary detail.

Gameplay wise the big thing IMO will be "physics" based programing. I've been talking about this for a long long time now but the industry seems to be moving towards a sandbox like approach with mechanics just to make everything react in logical ways. The Last Guardian did this, Zelda did this, AC Origins kinda did this, etc.

Last gen was FPS. This gen was mobas and hero shooters. Not sure what next gen will be. PUBG and Fortnite will probably not get that many big budget duplicates unless they continue to grow.

the-pi-guy

The biggest thing that I'm hoping for isn't graphics upgrades, but AI upgrades.  

Legend

The biggest thing that I'm hoping for isn't graphics upgrades, but AI upgrades. 
Machine learning will be really weird.

It's not an all powerful solution by any means but it could be pretty disruptive with video game AI. At the very least people could start cheating with it. Have the AI grind in the game while you're sleeping.

Outside of that I doubt AI will change much though :(

the-pi-guy

Machine learning will be really weird.

It's not an all powerful solution by any means but it could be pretty disruptive with video game AI. At the very least people could start cheating with it. Have the AI grind in the game while you're sleeping.

Outside of that I doubt AI will change much though :(
That's more optimistic than I'm feeling about it!

Legend

That's more optimistic than I'm feeling about it!
Alpha zero is crazy good.

Xevross

They'll look like this gen but better.

Dr. Pezus

It's funny how so many people always expect 60fps as the standard next-gen. This happened before the PS4 gen and is happening now lol

the-pi-guy

It's funny how so many people always expect 60fps as the standard next-gen. This happened before the PS4 gen and is happening now lol
The only way I could see that happening is if VR really takes off to the point where 4K headsets are supported on PS5.  

Sooo... not likely.  

I'm getting tingly just thinking about next gen VR.  

Legend

The only way I could see that happening is if VR really takes off to the point where 4K headsets are supported on PS5. 

Sooo... not likely. 

I'm getting tingly just thinking about next gen VR. 
I could see games havimg 30 fps, 60 fps, and vr modes.

the-pi-guy

I could see games havimg 30 fps, 60 fps, and vr modes.
That's too much work!  

(But that certainly would be nice.)

Legend

That's too much work!  

(But that certainly would be nice.)
Well if they support VR for the full game and not as just a separate mode, they'd need to have a high framerate version anyway. Might as well let users decide similar to Nioh.

the-pi-guy

Well if they support VR for the full game and not as just a separate mode, they'd need to have a high framerate version anyway. Might as well let users decide similar to Nioh.
That's why I was saying that high res VR was the only way I could see 60 fps being a standard.  Where the VR game uses the same settings as the main game.  

But really, anything can happen.  Hopefully multiple modes ends up happening.  

Legend

That's why I was saying that high res VR was the only way I could see 60 fps being a standard.  Where the VR game uses the same settings as the main game.  

But really, anything can happen.  Hopefully multiple modes ends up happening.  

I personally don't want 30 fps and 60 fps modes but other people do so shrug.

If 4K tvs stay important I could see 60 fps being less common than it is this generation. The jump from 1080p to 4k is larger than any previous generation's jump and personally I think a big reason why we've had a fair amount of 60 fps games this generation is because 720p to 1080p was so small. Devs were bounded by 1080p so they had some power to allocate elsewhere while next gen most games will be having a resolution battle trying to hit native 4k.