Brendan Greene, copycat maker, says games need 'better protection' from copycat titles

Started by Legend, Dec 14, 2017, 06:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Brendan Greene, PubG creator, says games need 'better protection' from copycat titles | ResetEra

In the following article:http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...es-need-better-protection-from-copycat-titles Brendan Greene claims elements of his game have been ripped off and wants better protection from copycat games.
"I want other developers to put their own spin on the genre... not just lift things from our game," Brendan says.Click to expand...
Speaking to the Radio 1 Gaming Show, Brendan says: "I want this genre of games to grow. "For that to happen you need new and interesting spins on the game mode. "If it's just copycats down the line, then the genre doesn't grow and people get bored."Click to expand...
Brendan explains: "There's no intellectual property protection in games. "In movies and music there is IP protection and you can really look after your work. In gaming that doesn't exist yet, and it's something that should be looked into. "Some amazing games pass under the radar. "Then someone else takes the idea, has a marketing budget, and suddenly has a popular game because they ripped off someone else's idea. I think it's something the industry needs to look into. "You're protecting the work of artists basically. Games are art for a large part, and so I think it's important they're protected."Click to expand...
I definitely think it's a problem if developers copy parts of the game without adding anything new to the Battle Royale genre.  But I don't think these copycat games can be thought of as copyright infringement unless there's a patent or trademark on the idea.  I  think more competition is welcome in this genre and could ultimately help make PUBG a better game.  In the end, the copycats will fall by the wayside and the good games will have staying power.  Do you agree with Brendan's viewpoint on this issue?