Switch: A Year in Review

Started by Cute Pikachu, Nov 30, 2017, 04:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Cute Pikachu

Nov 30, 2017, 04:18 PM Last Edit: Nov 30, 2017, 08:02 PM by Cute Pikachu
I am going to make tradition from now on and do a 1st year review for every new console.

Switch: Released March 3, 2017 Worldwide
Launch Games: The launch brought us particularly 3 games of emphasis with one dwarfing the other two. The Legend of Zelda:Breath of the Wild was released to some of the greatest praise in gaming history. The game itself single handily brough the Switch into a competitive state and started the momentum needed to become successful. The other two games, 1 2 Switch and Bomberman R, were both releases to mix responses by players. Despite the difference in acclaim in the titles all 3 sold very well(Zelda is at 5 Million, Bomberman is over 500k, and 1 2 Switch is at 1.35 Million)

April: An Acclaimed Racer returns better than ever.
Mario Kart 8D was the major release of the month and was the first ever Mario rerelease besides virtual console. The game broke Mario Kart record sod being the higher debuting Mario Kart debut of all time despite a low install base and being a port. The game is currently significantly outpacing the original and has sold 4.5 Million.

May and June: Fighters and Third Parties Gain
May was a rather low key month for the Switch as third parties were the only significant releases. These include Disgea 5, Minecraft, and the overpriced port of Street Fighter 2. All three of these games have been confirmed to have done well from their various publishers. June was more interesting as Nintendo's new fighting IP ARMS was released. Despite issues of lack of content over a million people bought the game to  experience what Nintendo's new fighter was about.

July: Inking Sequal
Besides the terrible name for this month the sequal to the somewhat popular Wii U game Splatoon 2 released. While the game was lax in significant changes to the franchise, the game made refinements to make it the definitive sequal. The game has been selling really well at 3.61 Million.

August and September: 3rd Party Collaborations
These months brough 3 major exclusive third party collaborations of Mario and Rabbids(Ubisoft), Pokken Tournament(BN), and Fire Emblem Warriors(KT). All three were received positively and had great to decent debuts in terms of sales. 3rd parties such as NBA 2k18 and Xenoverse 2 released to good sales while FIFA 18 seem to have disappointed.

October:
This was the month of a game that defined the system. Mario O released to vast critical acclaim and took crown of fastest selling 3D Mario. Switch stock was also starting to improve.

November:
The momentum of Mario had turned to November, and while the Switch likely did not outsell the  great consoles of Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo had a month that can be considered great. Lots of third parties released this month such as Skyrim, DOOM, and Rocket League. LA Noire and Sonic Forces were also major releases this month.

December: Elysium to end it all

This is the final month of the calendar year and an end to a great year for the Switch. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released to acclaim and the momentum is with all three of the consoles. To look at it, this was a great year for a big 3 and to see Nintendo come back from the Wii U is great.

Up next: PS5 probably
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Xevross

Nice thread! The switch has had a fantastic first year, way better than any of us expected I think.

By the way of exclusives, its possibly had the best first year of any console ever, while third party support is ... okay, I guess. Obviously much better than the WiiU.

Mario Odyssey is my game of the year so far (we'll see if zelda can change that when I get it for christmas) and I love the console overall, its a really great design.

DerNebel

Xenoblade 2's reviews are good enough for me to check it out tomorrow, so that's something.

the-pi-guy

What about next year?  

DerNebel

What about next year?  

A lot of nothing currently.

Cute Pikachu

And a perspective on metacritic scores for the main Switch games this year.
97 Breath of the Wild
97 Mario Odyssey
92 Mario Kart 8D
85 Xenoblade Chronicles 2
85 Mario and Rabbids
83 Splatoon 2
80 Pokken Tournment DX
77 ARMS
75 Fire Emblem Warriors

1 2 Switch garbage

Cute Pikachu

Unless Doc or Legend Bam me then these will be a go for as long as I'm here :)

Xevross

Mario Odyssey is my game of the year so far (we'll see if zelda can change that when I get it for christmas) and I love the console overall, its a really great design.
Lol well I had Mario just above Horizon but I just reached the last end game kingdom and its genuinely quite horrific and terrible game design imo. Back below Horizon it goes...

Dr. Pezus

Lol well I had Mario just above Horizon but I just reached the last end game kingdom and its genuinely quite horrific and terrible game design imo. Back below Horizon it goes...
*pats on head*

DerNebel

the last postgame world without the checkpoints? Yeah it's complete trash.

Btw. I've pretty much gotten all moons in the game aside from two, which I simply find too annoying an not fun to get (
Spoiler for Hidden:
the second jump rope and volleyball moons
), so I guess the game is forever going to stay "almost completed" for me.

Xevross

the last postgame world without the checkpoints? Yeah it's complete trash.

Btw. I've pretty much gotten all moons in the game aside from two, which I simply find too annoying an not fun to get (
Spoiler for Hidden:
the second jump rope and volleyball moons
), so I guess the game is forever going to stay "almost completed" for me.
Yep, I turned it to assist mode and got through it super easily but it completely ruined the sense of accomplishment I would have got. Its a shame because there's nothing in the rest of the game I'd consider to be even average, but that level is just pure garbage. Brings the whole game down a point or two (on the 100 scale) for me.

Lol well one of my friends is good at the jump rope shame and got the 100 for me so I'm good there. Yet to do volleyball though.

the-pi-guy

Yep, I turned it to assist mode and got through it super easily but it completely ruined the sense of accomplishment I would have got. Its a shame because there's nothing in the rest of the game I'd consider to be even average, but that level is just pure garbage. Brings the whole game down a point or two (on the 100 scale) for me.

Lol well one of my friends is good at the jump rope shame and got the 100 for me so I'm good there. Yet to do volleyball though.
Should have bought the loot boxes if you wanted a sense of accomplishment.  
Spoiler for Hidden:
I already made this joke, but now it's public.  So others can appreciate it.    

the-pi-guy

So Nintendo has a 3D action adventure coming up, and someone on Resetera says they typically hire these contract positions if the game is within a year of launch.  So it'd come 2018.  

I think Nintendo will have a few shows early this next year, and they will announce some games for the 2018 year.  Maybe some games will be closer than we expect.  

Cute Pikachu

I have a feeling and my guess for next year.
January: Nonthing really maybe some eshop games
February: Kirby and Wolfenstein 2
March: Yoshi UE4
April: Fire Emblem Switch
May: Animal Crossing
June: Nonthing
July: Wii U Port(My bet is Mario Maker)
August: 3rd Party Exclusive
September: Smash Bros 4 Switch
October: 3rd Party
November: Pokémon