Avatar movies start production with billion dollar budget

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 26, 2017, 08:52 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

'Avatar' Starts Production On Four Sequels At Over $1 Billion Budget | Deadline

It is not only unprecedented in number -- Peter Jackson shot three of The Lord of the Rings installments together -- it also will be the most expensive shoot of its kind, at an estimated collective budget expected to surpass $1 billion. That would sound daunting if it was any filmmaker but Cameron, who directed the two top-grossing films of all time worldwide in Avatar and Titanic and also has Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Aliens in his win column. Fox releases the first Avatar sequel December 18, 2020, and the next comes a year later, with the last two in December 2024 and 2025.

BananaKing

An average of 250$ per film. It's not that crazy of a number. One has to wonder how much an avatar sequel can make. I doubt any one can come close to the massive 2.7 billion of the first one.

I have no idea how much avatar 2 can do, it will have a lot of buzz around it obviously because people will be talking about how much it can do and how much they expect it to do, regardless of how the actual film is, so I think that could help it. However I doubt it will make much over 1 billion if it reaches that number at all

the-pi-guy

An average of 250$ per film. It's not that crazy of a number. One has to wonder how much an avatar sequel can make. I doubt any one can come close to the massive 2.7 billion of the first one.

I have no idea how much avatar 2 can do, it will have a lot of buzz around it obviously because people will be talking about how much it can do and how much they expect it to do, regardless of how the actual film is, so I think that could help it. However I doubt it will make much over 1 billion if it reaches that number at all
Yeah, the average per film isn't that obscene.  It is a pretty big promise up front though, to basically push out 4 films back to back.  

I think the second one will probably do pretty well.  I wonder if the fourth film will make money though.  

Legend

Hopefully this really is the start of filming. It's been in pre-production for so long now. I remember thinking it was crazy that Titanic and Avatar were 10 years apart but it'll roughly be the same time between Avatar and Avatar 2. Heck by the time Avatar 5 releases, we could have humans on Mars.

I really hope they're good. I loved the first Avatar but doubt it's possible to capture that wonder of a new world in a sequel, let alone 4 of them. The writing and story need to be a lot better since that's the popular thing to hate on with the first film.

Yeah, the average per film isn't that obscene.  It is a pretty big promise up front though, to basically push out 4 films back to back.  

I think the second one will probably do pretty well.  I wonder if the fourth film will make money though.  
I could see this being like a new Star Wars trilogy. People will go see Avatar 2 because it's an unknown and then it's that film's job to get people invested in the new story arcs.

Outside of setting and Navi, there woun't be much in common with the first imo. There's peace between humans and the Navi and some other threat will have to be introduced.

3 and 4 could have lower numbers but 5 would be the "epic" conclusion and bring people back in that might of missed one or two.