General Politics Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 08, 2017, 12:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Mmm_fish_tacos

I dunno, it's stupid. But at the same time if a country has a tariff on our goods and then get mad if we impose a tariff on their goods of equal value then they shouldn't have the right to complain. Most of the list I've seen show we usually dont impose a tariff or it's so small it doesn't matter. He actually asked for all tariffs to be reset to zero which would have been truly fair trade. But was ignored.

darkknightkryta

I agree with tariffs on manufactured products.    I don't agree with them on resources.  Trump did the latter.  Now steel and aluminum prices have skyrocketted in the U.S. because of a new found monopoly.  This will force even more jobs away and affect the middle class.  Who benefits?  The few billionaires who own steel mills.  Who does this hurt?  Everyone else.  Now if Trump targeted manufactured products, you'd still have cheap steel, and you'll also give a good reason to bring manufacturing back.

Xevross

Jul 09, 2018, 02:04 PM Last Edit: Jul 09, 2018, 02:06 PM by Xevross
Its a key week for brexit, with Theresa May supposedly gaining cabinet approval for her plans a couple of days ago after the cabinet was fighting over it for months. It seems like that approval was a lie, as the brexit secretary David Davis resigned last night and the foreign secretary Boris Johnson just resigned. This is after he skipped a COBRA meeting on the new developments in the Russia nerve agent case, and now he's not attending a summit he was supposed to host with some EU members starting about 8 minutes ago.

The brexit plan was supposed to be put to parliament today, but MPs are unhappy ministers are doing most of it themselves and bypassing parliament too much.

UK politics in disarray, what a surprise.

the-pi-guy

Alabama political ads:

"(The other guy) knows in order to win, he has to pretend to be a Republican. Well I'm the Republican, not him. "

Xevross

Alabama political ads:

"(The other guy) knows in order to win, he has to pretend to be a Republican. Well I'm the Republican, not him. "

American politics is so dumb.

the-pi-guy

American politics is so dumb.
Pretty much:  "As long as my side is winning, that's the only thing that matters.  F the other side.  They can die for all I care."

Xevross

Pretty much:  "As long as my side is winning, that's the only thing that matters.  F the other side.  They can die for all I care."

Well I mean that's most right wing politicians around the world. Its stuff like that line which is weird. How can that be a line which convinces people to vote for you?

the-pi-guy

Well I mean that's most right wing politicians around the world. Its stuff like that line which is weird. How can that be a line which convinces people to vote for you?
It works in a largely right wing state.  

the-pi-guy

Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!

For the first time, Trump confesses that his campaign turned to Russia for help - ThinkProgress

For the first time in American history, a U.S. president admitted that his campaign had accepted Russia's offer of help during a presidential campaign.

Xevross

No... Collision?

the-pi-guy

One thing that Resetera gets wrong about a lot of things is that they assume every result is because of sexism/racism.

They look at an individual shooting and say this wouldn't have happened if he was white.

They look at a woman getting a bad response and they say it wouldn't have happened if it was a man.

The problem is that these things still happen in those other cases.

You can't look at a single police shooting and blame race. You can look at the overall rate and say that it'd be lower without racism. Say 1 white man gets shot and 10 black men get shot in an equal proportion area. You could look at the stats and say 9 of these shootings probably wouldn't happen if racism was gone, but you couldn't say which 9. Yet, people on resetera will look at every individual event like that and say "it's because of racism."

Similar thing with sexism. A man and a woman do the same thing. The woman gets criticism from 10 people, the man gets criticism from 1 person. So you could look at the statistics and see that 9 of those people probably wouldn't make a big deal if the woman was a man, but you couldn't say every person was being a sexist. One of those people just thinks that thing isn't acceptable regardless of who did it.

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Big news today. Hopefully the brainwashed 1/3 of America will start to wake up and see through Trumps lies.
Ha, you're funny.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Go Up