Sea of Thieves to slip out of 2017?

Started by Raven, May 23, 2017, 03:18 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

Is Rare's Sea of Thieves Further Away Than We Thought?

Apparently, back in mid-April, the design director for the game posted about the game's development status and it sounds like it has a long way to go before it's ready. At that point, they were still in the process of building the game's larger systems and still had not greatly detailed the NPCs yet. Skeletons had just been added as an example of an AI threat. That's all they had at that point. No other enemy NPCs existed by mid-April and the gameplay effects skeletons had were minimal. They claimed that they were going to do more with them in time. There were functional NPCs at outposts but not where they envision them quite yet. The progression systems were also not ready by then. It was said by Greenberg that the game was supposed to be out in the same window as Halo Wars 2. That game released in February. We're approaching June and as of a little over a month ago, this game wasn't even close to being ready by the sound of it.

Legend

THat sounds like the private alpha. The internal build is suposed to be a lot farther along.

BUt I still really doubt it's 2017.

Raven

THat sounds like the private alpha. The internal build is suposed to be a lot farther along.

BUt I still really doubt it's 2017.
According to whom? You got links/sources, boy?

Legend

According to whom? You got links/sources, boy?

IT was in this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1331807

Alpha is under NDA so some user was acting coy about knowing more than others.

Raven

IT was in this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1331807

Alpha is under NDA so some user was acting coy about knowing more than others.
Oh dear god. I am not searching through that. lol

Legend

Oh dear god. I am not searching through that. lol
Found some of it.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Originally Posted by Papacheeks

Go look at a gameplay video for me. It's a giant empty nice looking sea, with only you and your crew populating it. Fighting,looting other people. That's about it. I'v watched enough to see that the game is something of a social experiment and only people who are into those like minecraft and the likes or who like streaming them will be interested for the long haul with this game. I will await and see how Rare handles content as looting chest's and shooting ships will get old in an empty sea.

You mean gameplay that's under NDA, or you haven't watched any recent gameplay videos at all. Your knowledge of the game is clearly lacking. "it's a giant empty nice looking sea" sure just like the Witcher 3 is a giant empty field. Both are maps with quests, loot, areas and enemies. "with only you and your crew populating it." wrong again, in fact you wouldn't need to be under NDA to no that. You could have watched one of their other videos from a view months ago to know that. In fact if you had watched the E3 video you would see that. "looting other people" you steal their gold that's about it there is no traditional looting like division or other online world games. It's nothing like Minecraft, in fact in that case any game with CO-OP is like Minecraft (just as large of a oversimplification as yours.) If your reasons for it being a social experiment is it takes a community driven approach to design, then I guess Blizzard is a group of psychologists. Sure except SOT has brought in a group of people who normally don't like online games just like destiny did, but sure only the streaming and Minecraft community. Well you don't have to wait it's been more than that since E3 2016, but sure you watched some gameplay. You only have to look to my other reply to you above to see another large aspect of the game. I don't think you could have written a more ill informed post about the game, like I said signing up to be a insider would help.  Sorry if I couldn't give anymore information NDA's are fun.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Originally Posted by Papacheeks

So this is not how the game plays?Or this?
 Or this which is the latest dev diary of the game that shows me nothing new I haven't already seen.
 Unless there's way more to the game they haven't shown. And if so then it's not good to have any footage of it for a game releasing this year.
 All I'v seen for NPC's are skeletons you shoot on certain islands when your looking for specific treasure that might be a quest. And things like mermaids which are mainly used as warp points to get you back to land if your ship sinks.
 If they are holding  a bunch back then they have done a shame job showing this game.

The game is definitely not coming out this year first of, what footage have you seen of crackdown, state of decay or Forza? they are all coming out this year. It's quite common for MS games especially the trinity to not show much at all until closer to release.
 The game is actively in development and is taking a community driven design, you can't market a game or aspects of it until you nail it down with your community. Rare's approach to testing is slow very piecemeal, everything is thought out methodically. The same way blizzard handles it, and in fact blizzards model has been used to describe the way in which they are going about it. Your only going to see what the community likes and Rare team is happy to sign off upon as final. It will start of slow but as we get further along in testing more and more will get added quicker and quicker up until a open beta and then release.
 Your right there is a lot they are not showing, the skeletons are simply there to test spawn rate and accuracy for the rest of the game, mermaids have more of a purpose than a spawn point. They are set up in a specific way just like ferry of the damned for the alpha testing. In terms of quests there is a lot more variance, a lot of the world role specific quests are not implemented as roles are not yet implemented. Think of it as Rare has version 1.0 but it's unfinished, buggy, still in testing and final design hasn't been signed of on for even the alpha yet. Were as we are on version 0.1, rather than most testing we won't get jumps in 0.1's but rather 0.01's, as they finish of aspects of the game and polish to were their happy they implement them one piece at a time very slowly. As they get more confident in it's design as it's building on the already testing fundamentals and systems it will speed up just like in any game development timeline.
 They multiply the size of the map and the variance multiple times in short gaps. For example the sword (dancing around this) would be finished in their version 1.0 but instead of implementing that whole system, they would implement just the fundamental aspect maybe leaving out the combos. They polish that then add another aspect, polish again and so forth until it would be fully implemented. This games alpha is more polished than the vast majority of release games, which is adding more time in development as it's being polished during development rather than towards the end. But you would find out a lot more to what Rare's doing with the game if you read over a lot of the posts in the insider forums. It's dangerous for Rare to talk about elements of the game to even insiders until there finished let alone the wider public or to market them.
 But I agree if the way the game has been shown at the last two E3's is the way they intend to market it then they are royally iced. Those showing's were awful, I don't know why they don't just at E3 do a 10 minute video quickly cutting between the different aspects and systems of the game. A fallout 4 style deep dive would be great or even just post 2-3 hours of raw gameplay going through the daily loop and a few teasers for the other activities.

This was a few days after your OP article so who knows.

Raven

Found some of it.

You mean gameplay that's under NDA, or you haven't watched any recent gameplay videos at all. Your knowledge of the game is clearly lacking. "it's a giant empty nice looking sea" sure just like the Witcher 3 is a giant empty field. Both are maps with quests, loot, areas and enemies. "with only you and your crew populating it." wrong again, in fact you wouldn't need to be under NDA to no that. You could have watched one of their other videos from a view months ago to know that. In fact if you had watched the E3 video you would see that. "looting other people" you steal their gold that's about it there is no traditional looting like division or other online world games. It's nothing like Minecraft, in fact in that case any game with CO-OP is like Minecraft (just as large of a oversimplification as yours.) If your reasons for it being a social experiment is it takes a community driven approach to design, then I guess Blizzard is a group of psychologists. Sure except SOT has brought in a group of people who normally don't like online games just like destiny did, but sure only the streaming and Minecraft community. Well you don't have to wait it's been more than that since E3 2016, but sure you watched some gameplay. You only have to look to my other reply to you above to see another large aspect of the game. I don't think you could have written a more ill informed post about the game, like I said signing up to be a insider would help.  Sorry if I couldn't give anymore information NDA's are fun.

The game is definitely not coming out this year first of, what footage have you seen of crackdown, state of decay or Forza? they are all coming out this year. It's quite common for MS games especially the trinity to not show much at all until closer to release.
 The game is actively in development and is taking a community driven design, you can't market a game or aspects of it until you nail it down with your community. Rare's approach to testing is slow very piecemeal, everything is thought out methodically. The same way blizzard handles it, and in fact blizzards model has been used to describe the way in which they are going about it. Your only going to see what the community likes and Rare team is happy to sign off upon as final. It will start of slow but as we get further along in testing more and more will get added quicker and quicker up until a open beta and then release.
 Your right there is a lot they are not showing, the skeletons are simply there to test spawn rate and accuracy for the rest of the game, mermaids have more of a purpose than a spawn point. They are set up in a specific way just like ferry of the damned for the alpha testing. In terms of quests there is a lot more variance, a lot of the world role specific quests are not implemented as roles are not yet implemented. Think of it as Rare has version 1.0 but it's unfinished, buggy, still in testing and final design hasn't been signed of on for even the alpha yet. Were as we are on version 0.1, rather than most testing we won't get jumps in 0.1's but rather 0.01's, as they finish of aspects of the game and polish to were their happy they implement them one piece at a time very slowly. As they get more confident in it's design as it's building on the already testing fundamentals and systems it will speed up just like in any game development timeline.
 They multiply the size of the map and the variance multiple times in short gaps. For example the sword (dancing around this) would be finished in their version 1.0 but instead of implementing that whole system, they would implement just the fundamental aspect maybe leaving out the combos. They polish that then add another aspect, polish again and so forth until it would be fully implemented. This games alpha is more polished than the vast majority of release games, which is adding more time in development as it's being polished during development rather than towards the end. But you would find out a lot more to what Rare's doing with the game if you read over a lot of the posts in the insider forums. It's dangerous for Rare to talk about elements of the game to even insiders until there finished let alone the wider public or to market them.
 But I agree if the way the game has been shown at the last two E3's is the way they intend to market it then they are royally iced. Those showing's were awful, I don't know why they don't just at E3 do a 10 minute video quickly cutting between the different aspects and systems of the game. A fallout 4 style deep dive would be great or even just post 2-3 hours of raw gameplay going through the daily loop and a few teasers for the other activities.

This was a few days after your OP article so who knows.
Hmmm sounds like it's not coming out this year, regardless of how accurate the article was about its current development state.