NPD has been underestimating Digital Game Sales since at least 2010

Started by Legend, Apr 24, 2017, 09:13 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

NPD has been underestimating Digital Game Sales since at least 2010 - NeoGAF

Via Gamasutra. Seems digital is and has been even bigger than we though in recent years.
According to NPD, these discrepancies came from a lack of information on digital game and DLC sales in past years. For example, the 2016 report said that 44 percent of all consumer game spending was on physical versions of games in 2015. This year's report now says that only 31 percent of game sales were physical in that same year.  As a result, 2015 consumer spending was previously reported as $16.5 billion, rather than the $23.2 billion indicated by current data. Those discrepancies go back as far as 2010 and range between 2 percent and 40 percent changes.

Some pretty crazy info here. Seems the gaming industry is actually even stronger than we thought, off of the back of strong digital market.http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...medium=twitter

Xevross

Literally just read this on the GAF, that's pretty great news!

Maybe Halo 5 did have a 90% digital rate after all

SWORDF1SH

Most of my collection is now digital but the indie games on console has taken a huge step up. This is the main reason my digital collection is so big.

Raven

So the industry has been healthier than we were being led to believe and many games were underestimated in their actual total sales. In before "NPD can't be trusted and so we really don't know who is winning".

Legend

So the industry has been healthier than we were being led to believe and many games were underestimated in their actual total sales. In before "NPD can't be trusted and so we really don't know who is winning".
NPD has probably been underestimating digital console sales too!

Raven

Jesus! How hard can that be?!

the-pi-guy

I was so mad about this possibility, I wrote a huge post.  It crashed my computer.  
I need to download more RAM to properly explain my frustration.  

Raven

I was so mad about this possibility, I wrote a huge post.  It crashed my computer.  
I need to download more RAM to properly explain my frustration.  
Why don't these people understand that it's called the "digital age" for a reason?!

BananaKing

Nintendo's digital revenue compared to Sony's. Nintendo's weak online services are clearly sub par to the rest of the industry, and i think their digital revenue shows that. of course this includes PS+ but recent figures (like Horizon Zero Dawn's and For Honor's NPD sales) shows that Sony does have a strong digital attach rate for software. it doesnt help that while Sony and MS have 500GB and 1TB storage on their consoles, Nintendo has 32GB on the switch.

Dr. Pezus

Nintendo's digital revenue compared to Sony's. Nintendo's weak online services are clearly sub par to the rest of the industry, and i think their digital revenue shows that. of course this includes PS+ but recent figures (like Horizon Zero Dawn's and For Honor's NPD sales) shows that Sony does have a strong digital attach rate for software. it doesnt help that while Sony and MS have 500GB and 1TB storage on their consoles, Nintendo has 32GB on the switch.
Even though switch came years later than PS4 and XB1. Smh