Star Citizen

Started by Raven, Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Apr 15, 2017, 04:37 AM Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 04:44 AM by Legend
Seems the plan for the 3.0 series has completely changed. Only mention of mining is the MISC PROSPECTOR. 3.1 and 3.2 don't mention it.

3.0 Update Overview3.1 Update Overview3.2 Update Overview
MISC Prospector moved from 3.1 to 3.0.

3.1 and 3.2 have very little similarities with their original descriptions.

Raven

Seems the plan for the 3.0 series has completely changed. Only mention of mining is the MISC PROSPECTOR. 3.1 and 3.2 don't mention it.
MISC Prospector moved from 3.1 to 3.0.

3.1 and 3.2 have very little similarities with their original descriptions.
Not surprising in the least bit. That original roadmap was something they came up with prior to last October. That was 6 months ago. Hell, when they showed that roadmap it had the Caterpillar as a 3.0 ship and the 85X as a 3.1 ship... and then 2.6 released about two months later with both of them.

Legend

Not surprising in the least bit. That original roadmap was something they came up with prior to last October. That was 6 months ago. Hell, when they showed that roadmap it had the Caterpillar as a 3.0 ship and the 85X as a 3.1 ship... and then 2.6 released about two months later with both of them.
Eh they teased a lot that mining would be in the initial 3.0. I'm shocked it's not even on the roadmap past 3.0 anymore.

I let the hype get to me and started thinking 3.0 was held back by only a few elements so they were pulling new features into it. Instead it seems 3.0 was too massive and broken into 3 patches. Arcorp, Hurston, Microtech, and Crusader are all in 3.1 and 3.2 now.

Raven

Eh they teased a lot that mining would be in the initial 3.0. I'm shocked it's not even on the roadmap past 3.0 anymore.

I let the hype get to me and started thinking 3.0 was held back by only a few elements so they were pulling new features into it. Instead it seems 3.0 was too massive and broken into 3 patches. Arcorp, Hurston, Microtech, and Crusader are all in 3.1 and 3.2 now.
I don't recall them ever saying that all planets would be ready for 3.0 at all. The only thing they ever said (as far as physical locations) was that they were expanding the Stanton system, that planetary landings would come in 3.0, and that they would add additional locations to the system as the major patches rolled out. I think that's a case of you overestimating/misunderstanding what was coming in 3.0 and not a case of them having to make 3.0 smaller in that regard.

Yeah. Mining was teased but there are any number of reasons why it's not being talked about suddenly. This new roadmap could change 100 times in the next few months and we'll never know how many things were scooted around and how many times. Considering the size and scope of the game, not to mention it still has years of development to go, if the absence of mining shocks you, it's probably a good thing you're not privy to more frequent schedule updates. You'd probably have a heart attack and die young.

I'm seeing a lot of stuff in here that wasn't mentioned originally or no statements of commitment were ever made. Without a doubt, things were shuffled around. I can guarantee you there are things coming in 3.0 according to this report that weren't originally intended for it. Just enjoy what's coming. There's a ton of stuff here. It's definitely going to be a transformative moment when this patch drops when you look at what's available right now.

Legend

I don't recall them ever saying that all planets would be ready for 3.0 at all. The only thing they ever said (as far as physical locations) was that they were expanding the Stanton system, that planetary landings would come in 3.0, and that they would add additional locations to the system as the major patches rolled out. I think that's a case of you overestimating/misunderstanding what was coming in 3.0 and not a case of them having to make 3.0 smaller in that regard.

Yeah. Mining was teased but there are any number of reasons why it's not being talked about suddenly. This new roadmap could change 100 times in the next few months and we'll never know how many things were scooted around and how many times. Considering the size and scope of the game, not to mention it still has years of development to go, if the absence of mining shocks you, it's probably a good thing you're not privy to more frequent schedule updates. You'd probably have a heart attack and die young.

I'm seeing a lot of stuff in here that wasn't mentioned originally or no statements of commitment were ever made. Without a doubt, things were shuffled around. I can guarantee you there are things coming in 3.0 according to this report that weren't originally intended for it. Just enjoy what's coming. There's a ton of stuff here. It's definitely going to be a transformative moment when this patch drops when you look at what's available right now.
No I'm going off their gamescom presentation.

The new 3.0 has some small new things but outside of ships I don't see what you're thinking they added.

I think the reason mining is missing is because it has hardly anything to do with anything else. It's not a priority to add since not much on the dev side of things is built above it. Probably also the reason why it's seemingly being moved around a lot.

I am enjoying what's coming ya dork  :P

Raven

Apr 15, 2017, 05:29 AM Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017, 05:56 AM by Raven
Just read the newsletter they sent out. The plan was to have most of the planets/moons ready for 3.0 but the external team working on them, Behavior, moved away from Star Citizen and onto another project about 4 months ago. So they had to get their own teams working on it and they say they want to move away from relying on external help. This, obviously, put them behind schedule. So it wasn't a matter of them miscalculating. The people they had literally walked away to go do something else.

No I'm going off their gamescom presentation.

The new 3.0 has some small new things but outside of ships I don't see what you're thinking they added.

I think the reason mining is missing is because it has hardly anything to do with anything else. It's not a priority to add since not much on the dev side of things is built above it. Probably also the reason why it's seemingly being moved around a lot.

I am enjoying what's coming ya dork  :P
dang. How in the world did I miss that?

@Legend
The things I'm talking about are just a bunch of small things they never told us were coming in 3.0, said would be coming soon but gave no timeline on, or were more recent topics they implied would be coming in 3.0 which obviously was not something we knew back at CitizenCon. The Prospector being a part of 3.0 wasn't a part of the plan originally. A couple new weapons and reworks. The rail gun is a significant addition to the game as it represents the first of the heavy weapons they've talked about for on-foot use. The first iteration of outposts was something they started really talking about more recently that will apparently make their appearance on the moons in this patch. If I had more energy I would go down the list of a bunch of individual things that weren't originally said to be on the way as of late last year. The patch is pretty much what I expected. Some things pushed out while others were pushed in. Some aren't what I expected. I'm just happy planetary landings are happening at all on the first go. I fully expected that to be pushed back to 3.1 or later.

BasilZero

So.......when's the release date? 8)

Legend

So.......when's the release date? 8)
6/29/17 for 3.0

Raven

The Banu are going to be revealed this Friday. That same day, one of their ships, the Defender, goes on concept sale for $185.

Raven

Been reading around the forums and apparently I missed something where CIG said that not everything they're working on for 3.0 is on the schedule report. They are doing R&D on some things but they don't want to make any kind of commitment yet and say that it will be ready. So they're intentionally leaving those things off the report for now. If something changes and some of those things look like they'll happen, they will be added to the report.

Raven

Legend

A Lot of people are asking for SC on scorpio.  kinda interesting.

BasilZero

Apr 22, 2017, 01:45 AM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2017, 01:49 AM by Legend
A Star Citizen player waiting for the full game to be released

Spoiler for Hidden:
l0l jk , dont hurt me plz ;(

Raven

Apr 22, 2017, 02:02 AM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2017, 02:10 AM by Raven
A Lot of people are asking for SC on scorpio.  kinda interesting.
Not going to happen. The devs already have their hands full just trying to get this game done for the PC. They're not going to add more workload to develop a Scorpio specific version. Which, according to Microsoft, isn't even allowed. By the time this game is in a release state, the next generation will have started or be releasing soon. Makes no sense to develop this for any current consoles. Plus, after all of the graphical effects are added and the game's visuals are finalized, I doubt the Scorpio could run the game in any decent capacity. Just don't mention that to the crazies. They're convinced Scorpio could run the most demanding games three times over with no issues. Chris Roberts is a pro-PC guy in general, too. Best chance of seeing this game on consoles any time soon is the next generation. I know you know this, I just felt the need to get my thoughts out.

A Star Citizen player waiting for the full game to be released

Spoiler for Hidden:
l0l jk , dont hurt me plz ;(

lol

Funny thing is, this game has only been in development for 4 years now and it's being developed alongside a stand-alone single-player game, Squadron 42. Mass Effect Andromeda took 5 years. According to Herman Hulst in his interview with Neil Druckmann, Horizon took 6 years. Star Wars: The Old Republic took almost 7 years. Alan Wake took 7 years. Let's not even talk about the development hell FF15, TLG, and Nioh went through.

It's just bizarre to me how many people think this game is taking an unreasonably long time to release. It's an MMO and it's an incredibly ambitious project. The company making it was actually being built from the ground up for the first couple of years.

You're joking, but there are so many people out there who have incredibly unrealistic ideas about how long games actually take to make and what it takes to make them.

nnodley

Not going to happen. The devs already have their hands full just trying to get this game done for the PC. They're not going to add more workload to develop a Scorpio specific version. Which, according to Microsoft, isn't even allowed. By the time this game is in a release state, the next generation will have started or be releasing soon. Makes no sense to develop this for any current consoles. Plus, after all of the graphical effects are added and the game's visuals are finalized, I doubt the Scorpio could run the game in any decent capacity. Just don't mention that to the crazies. They're convinced Scorpio could run the most demanding games three times over with no issues. Chris Roberts is a pro-PC guy in general, too. Best chance of seeing this game on consoles any time soon is the next generation. I know you know this, I just felt the need to get my thoughts out.
lol

Funny thing is, this game has only been in development for 4 years now and it's being developed alongside a stand-alone single-player game, Squadron 42. Mass Effect Andromeda took 5 years. According to Herman Hulst in his interview with Neil Druckmann, Horizon took 6 years. Star Wars: The Old Republic took almost 7 years. Alan Wake took 7 years. Let's not even talk about the development hell FF15, TLG, and Nioh went through.

It's just bizarre to me how many people think this game is taking an unreasonably long time to release. It's an MMO and it's an incredibly ambitious project. The company making it was actually being built from the ground up for the first couple of years.

You're joking, but there are so many people out there who have incredibly unrealistic ideas about how long games actually take to make and what it takes to make them.
Yeah and here I am gonna hopefully have a super small/simple game thats like less than 5% the size of star citizen or less that will likely take me up to a year.  And not to mention vizioneck is gonna be upwards of 10 year development by the time that Mike Armbrust guy gets it finished!

Go Up