Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

Started by Legend, Jun 03, 2015, 05:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

I'm not buying enthusiasm on twitter day one of a new endeavor as evidence of anything other than that. But if their Gears games are good, then IDGAF if they never make anything else.
Well I thought gears was mediocre. As an xbox own I wasn't please to hear they would take over gears and even less please that they won't work on anything else. I'm having a hard time finding reasons to turn it on and can't remember the last time I did. Ms better bring new ips at e3 or I'm selling it off in favor of a win u.

Aura7541

The thing is is that Rod's tweet was very definitive and put-his-foot-down-esque. It wasn't really the right thing to say and perhaps, he will retract that statement later on. However, for now, it looks like The Coalition will be a Gears machine.

Dr. Pezus

Wat. Sony studios usually come up with their own new IPs and if it's successful they make sequels. Being assigned an already popular IP to work exclusively on for the foreseeable future is completely different.

darkknightkryta

And in pretty much every case where a dev is working on a new AAA IP, they'd spent the last 6+ years working on multiple iterations of the same hit franchise for Sony. Yet MS is supposed to allow a dev to do that right off the bat.

When SSM's new IP was killed off and they were moved back to yet another God of War title people assumed it probably just wasn't any good. Yet people treat the new Black Tusk canceled IP as if it was going to be stellar. Maybe MS figured it wouldn't be worth it?

As for Coalition being religated to Gears forever, bump this thread in 6-7 years of they have not released or began working on a new IP and I will eat some delicious crow.
That's more or less their choice.  Studios get a chance with an IP.  If successful they'll probably wanna make a few sequels to generate some revenue, then when they get bored with the IP they move on.  Sucker Punch moved on from Sly, Naughty Dog moved on from multiple IPs, Guerrilla has a new IP in development, Media Molecule moved on from Little Big Planet, Santa Monica takes on smaller projects and helps code for other studios; like they helped code The Order.  Plus Balrog has a new IP in development at Santa Monica.  Zipper moved on to Mag.  Etc.  Other than Rare, which hasn't made a successful IP since leaving Nintendo and probably would have been forced to make Kinect Sports if kinect was still a thing, all MS studios have been stuck on one IP for all time.  Was Black Tusks canceled game any good?  Maybe, we'll never know.  They now have the unfortunate pleasure of having to hammer out a new Gears of Wars title within two years.  Considering they couldn't finish their own game in that time doesn't bode well for the studio.

Legend

Plus Balrog has a new IP in development at Santa Monica.
No Cory is doing GOW4

darkknightkryta

Legend

Raven

Go Up