Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

The Last Jedi Doesn't Care What You Think About Star Wars

This is a fantastic spoilery read. The more I read deeper and well thought out opinion pieces like this, the more and more I appreciate the film. I'm seeing it again tomorrow and hopefully I can notice all this stuff a lot more.

darkknightkryta

Spoiler for Hidden:
It's because this film is all about characters and choices. Sometimes they make the wrong choices, and they all make mistakes. It was a mistake to go on that mission and it was a mistake to find the different code breaker. The film does this intentionally, it's not like they have terrible writing and had to try and force stuff together. And everything has consequences, they are often the development of character.

Although I didn't really like that particular plot thread; I thought it was boring and pretty unecessary. It's definitely the weak point of the film.

I though she was a great character, and her and Poe's story showed the real struggle of the rebellion and the mistakes made in the impulse of war. It was great for Poe's character development in particular.

Yeah well Finn knew that so he was going to destroy it at all costs, but Rose stopped him. That was an impulse of her character and you could argue it's a mistake.

I think this is a really deep film, that develops incredibly real feeling and meaningful characters. If you think it's a terrible film then you just don't appreciate this/ care about it. I thought it was boring often but I still get the great things the film did.
[/size]
Spoiler for Hidden:
Deep film?  Based on what?  Characters were developed?  Characters were already developed from the last film and this movie takes a shame on all of them.  This movie isn't about the characters making choices because their choices have no meaning and on top of that there's no reflection on their "wrong choices".  The director had no clue what the fudge he was doing plain and simple.  If there was a payoff to their mistakes, then sure, there wasn't, there was nothing.  2 hours of nothing because the director had no idea what he was doing or what he was making.  This is all just stuff I'm containing in the film.  It gets far worse when you take into consideration he disregarded everything Abrams did in the last movie.  While I feel the last movie was a few rewrites from greatness, it at least had heart.  This movie is a souless film that didn't know what to do to get its climax, and even then he screwed that up.  If you were to tell me Luke was going to die by overexerting his power instead of an epic fight, I wouldn't have believed you.  Also the part of the film we agree on was boring and unnecessary was 3/4 of the film.  I would never let this director direct another film to be honest.  Not only is this film boring with no payoff (Even the space fight sequences were borderline bad), when you compound the issues with the way he shimed on Force Awakens makes it far worse.  Funny thing is, I didn't go into this movie with any kind of expectations.  Literally, I didn't even want to watch it right away.  The fact that I went in with no expectations, it would have been very hard to disappoint me and boy did this movie do it in spades.  I was actually more entertained by Clone Wars (I actually do like it) which is universally considered the worse film than this.  Even taking the film as is, there was so much wrong with it in terms of actual filming and plot progression.  Like, literally every plot point he started in the movie, finding an unnecessary code breaker (He didn't even code break anything), Jumping to hyper space, Luke wanting to die (Cause you know, making and leaving a map to him in R2D2 was going to help with that), destroying the Jedi, Snoke, everything, had it's payoff ruined by making what happens in each situation irrelevant cause something else happens instead.  Do it once is one thing, doing it with all its plot points?  You might be able to get away with that in a book or T.V. series in one episode, but this is piss poor story telling in movies.[/spoilers]

Xevross

Dec 17, 2017, 01:30 PM Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 01:59 PM by Xevross
Spoiler for Hidden:
Deep film?  Based on what?  Characters were developed?  Characters were already developed from the last film and this movie takes a shame on all of them.  This movie isn't about the characters making choices because their choices have no meaning and on top of that there's no reflection on their "wrong choices".  The director had no clue what the fudge he was doing plain and simple.  If there was a payoff to their mistakes, then sure, there wasn't, there was nothing.  2 hours of nothing because the director had no idea what he was doing or what he was making.  This is all just stuff I'm containing in the film.  It gets far worse when you take into consideration he disregarded everything Abrams did in the last movie.  While I feel the last movie was a few rewrites from greatness, it at least had heart.  This movie is a souless film that didn't know what to do to get its climax, and even then he screwed that up.  If you were to tell me Luke was going to die by overexerting his power instead of an epic fight, I wouldn't have believed you.  Also the part of the film we agree on was boring and unnecessary was 3/4 of the film.  I would never let this director direct another film to be honest.  Not only is this film boring with no payoff (Even the space fight sequences were borderline bad), when you compound the issues with the way he shimed on Force Awakens makes it far worse.  Funny thing is, I didn't go into this movie with any kind of expectations.  Literally, I didn't even want to watch it right away.  The fact that I went in with no expectations, it would have been very hard to disappoint me and boy did this movie do it in spades.  I was actually more entertained by Clone Wars (I actually do like it) which is universally considered the worse film than this.  Even taking the film as is, there was so much wrong with it in terms of actual filming and plot progression.  Like, literally every plot point he started in the movie, finding an unnecessary code breaker (He didn't even code break anything), Jumping to hyper space, Luke wanting to die (Cause you know, making and leaving a map to him in R2D2 was going to help with that), destroying the Jedi, Snoke, everything, had it's payoff ruined by making what happens in each situation irrelevant cause something else happens instead.  Do it once is one thing, doing it with all its plot points?  You might be able to get away with that in a book or T.V. series in one episode, but this is piss poor story telling in movies.[/spoilers]
Well I completely disagree with pretty much all of that.

If all you wanted was entertainment then fine it's disappointing, but it's an extremely well crafted film and Rian knew exactly what he was doing. If you can't see that's it's your fault not the film's. Sure, you can blame the film for trying so much and being so complex that so many viewers don't understand though.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Although I do agree that a lot of stuff that was built up in TFA was thrown away. That sucks. Also the execution was off in a lot of areas. I don't think it's as good as TFA still, but it's really not a bad film.

Xevross

Okay I watched it a second time and now I fudgy love it. Incredible film.

Most things I thought weren't good after first viewing I completely disagree with myself on now.  :o

Legend

I am intrigued to read all this spoiler talk hopefully soon!

Dr. Pezus

Dec 17, 2017, 10:12 PM Last Edit: Dec 17, 2017, 10:15 PM by Dr. Pez

Legend

Very good opening.

Xevross

I am intrigued to read all this spoiler talk hopefully soon!
Yeah I've been very conflicted on it but I'd recommend 2 viewings whatever you think of the film, it's very complicated and a lot of things are easy to miss.

Legend

Saw star wars

Lots of good, some bad, and 1 part absolute trash. Overall I liked it. A recut with removed scenes could be really good.

Reminded me of Mad Max Fury Road.

Xevross

Saw star wars

Lots of good, some bad, and 1 part absolute trash. Overall I liked it. A recut with removed scenes could be really good.

lol basically my reaction after first watch

Dr. Pezus

Saw star wars

But mad Max was great

BananaKing

All you guys need to realize that starwars is trash.

Legend

But mad Max was great
Mad Max was great but it's also kinda frustrating. Not a generic action flick that's just casual fun.

Also the big thing

Spoiler for Hidden:
Whole movie is just the single event of them being chased by the bad guys, just like Mad Max.

Xevross

Mad Max was great but it's also kinda frustrating. Not a generic action flick that's just casual fun.

Also the big thing

Spoiler for Hidden:
Whole movie is just the single event of them being chased by the bad guys, just like Mad Max.

Mad Max didn't have side stories though.

nnodley

All you guys need to realize that starwars is trash.
Pretty much. lol I've never really cared for them.  I thought this was the first one that looked good to me, but I'll still wait till bluray or digital.  

Go Up