VizionEck

Started by Legend, May 31, 2015, 07:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Cody

This game looks simple, beautiful, and innovative. Creativity is not dead and I love what you have created.  I really look forward to multiplayer and its community base.

Legend

This game looks simple, beautiful, and innovative. Creativity is not dead and I love what you have created.  I really look forward to multiplayer and its community base.
Well thank you. That's an incredibly positive post  ;D

Legend

Unity games tend to be CPU bound and VizionEck's been no exception. The gameplay premiere showed off some bad framerates (even though it was running on a beefy PC shhh!) and I'd joke that the red weapon was a framerate grenade. Today I made some changes that more than halved the framerate during action that made it go from annoying to unplayable.

So with that and the fact I need to start polishing for release anyway, I redesigned how the system handled things. All player created effects now run on their own framerate separate of the main game one. So every player can explode a "framerate grenade" at the same time and the general game will keep running at 60 fps.

The grenade effects drop down to like 5 fps for a short bit so there's still definitely room for improvement in this worst case scenario but it won't affect gameplay which is the important thing. Will also be great for VR where any drop anywhere is unacceptable.

I'm also working on my garbage collection. The framerate drops below 60 when that happens and it happens a fair amount. The blasts are all created and destroyed currently so switching to a recycling method will hopefully make that an easy fix.

(but really, ya'll have no idea how happy I am that in general the framerate is now locked to 60. Noticeable drops were super distracting when playtesting)

Legend

SWORDF1SH

I can be part of your team. I can make tea & biscuits and dust the furniture.

Legend

Oops I broke something. I've been working on HUD design so I haven't booted the game up on the testkit for a few days. Well uploaded the newest build to see how everything looked on a different TV and...

...screen tearing everywhere! Also my primary AA solution turned off.  :P

darkknightkryta

Oops I broke something. I've been working on HUD design so I haven't booted the game up on the testkit for a few days. Well uploaded the newest build to see how everything looked on a different TV and...

...screen tearing everywhere! Also my primary AA solution turned off.  :P
How is there screen tearing?  Is 120fps @ 10k too much for the ps4?

Legend

May 22, 2017, 02:59 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:33 PM by Legend
How is there screen tearing?  Is 120fps @ 10k too much for the ps4?
edt: it was just the Unity engine being stupid. The system just randomly decided to change the game to the lowest graphic settings.

Legend

Right now I'm completely redoing the platforming physics. I redid them a long time ago for Adventure, but Cube Royale's have been untouched for years.

That's because Cube Royale was incredibly "tight" in the sense that I just mapped input directly to velocity. Could stop as fast as you could let go of the stick.

It works pretty well on the ground so I might not actually change it, but in air it felt really odd. I think my new method could be pretty cool.

SWORDF1SH

Right now I'm completely redoing the platforming physics. I redid them a long time ago for Adventure, but Cube Royale's have been untouched for years.

That's because Cube Royale was incredibly "tight" in the sense that I just mapped input directly to velocity. Could stop as fast as you could let go of the stick.

It works pretty well on the ground so I might not actually change it, but in air it felt really odd. I think my new method could be pretty cool.
In what way did it feel odd?

the-pi-guy

In what way did it feel odd?
Well I mean I'd imagine it'd be odd to stop moving abruptly in midair.

Legend

Well I mean I'd imagine it'd be odd to stop moving abruptly in midair.
Exactly. Players had no momentum.

New method still allows just as much control, but movement feels weighty. Much cooler too.

Legend

Gosh I love/hate working on graphics. There's a "specific" effect I've been working on recently and now my brain can't help but notice it everywhere and critique it.

SWORDF1SH

Exactly. Players had no momentum.

New method still allows just as much control, but movement feels weighty. Much cooler too.
Oh I think you talked about this issue before. Definitely remember commenting on something like this before.

Legend

Oh I think you talked about this issue before. Definitely remember commenting on something like this before.
Almost exactly a year ago I redid the platforming for Adventure, but I'm not sure I posted anything publicly about that.

And technically 3.0 has always had a thing called "relative_velocity." Basically it's physics grids like in Star Citizen. Players moved within the physics grid independently of how the grid was moving. Not so long ago I depreciated it since I cut the big feature using it, so maybe that's what you're thinking of, but again I'm not sure I posted about it.

Go Up