Will legend be rich or die of starvation? (figures included)

Started by kitler53, Mar 02, 2015, 10:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

legend is going to:

die.
0 (0%)
cry.
0 (0%)
fly.
4 (100%)
buy.
0 (0%)
lie.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

kitler53

indie game sales figures per platform.

These are all from an indie conference from GDC.

more numbers at: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=199074&page=1

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

That high end is just way too low when we know of several games selling a lot more than that

Dr. Pezus

kitler53

Legend

Those numbers are slightly off as far as what I've heard from indies. I think this is US only too.

Anyway at just 1,000 sales I'd more than recoup my dev costs. Because I'm just a single person, my personal income is much higher than most indie teams. At 10,000 sales, the max of the poor indies, I'd be jumping up and down from success!!!! That'd be like a lot of money for just two years of work!!!!!!!!!!

@the poll "lie" option.

I think I'll have live stats of the game up on this website. Offline player info will have to be excluded, but online sales data and what not could all be shared in real time.

kitler53

Those numbers are slightly off as far as what I've heard from indies. I think this is US only too.

Anyway at just 1,000 sales I'd more than recoup my dev costs. Because I'm just a single person, my personal income is much higher than most indie teams. At 10,000 sales, the max of the poor indies, I'd be jumping up and down from success!!!! That'd be like a lot of money for just two years of work!!!!!!!!!!

1,000 in sales would recoup your dev costs?!?  what are you charging??  a "high end" indie seems to chart $20 and if all i got for 2 years of effort was 20k i'd rather work a minimum wage job flipping burgers...  i'd get ~60k for that at least.

200k at 10,000 in sales isn't soo bad though.

..wanna mentor me in game development?  i've always kinda wanted to but i just haven't tried.

kitler53

@the poll "lie" option.

I think I'll have live stats of the game up on this website. Offline player info will have to be excluded, but online sales data and what not could all be shared in real time.

i started with "die" and then just started rhyming because i'm badass like that..

Mmm_fish_tacos

10,000 sales at 10 = 100,000 at 15 150,000 at 20 200,000 either way i'd be happy for two years of work. And not just work, but working on something you love, and being your own boss.

kitler53

10,000 sales at 10 = 100,000 at 15 150,000 at 20 200,000 either way i'd be happy for two years of work. And not just work, but working on something you love, and being your own boss.

i already make 100k a year so it wouldn't be something i'd be "excited" about.  it would be nice to be my own boss but i actually love my current job.   ..and there is something to be said about a steady paycheck.  useful for paying those bills that pop-up monthly instead of bi-annually.   health insurance is nice too.  and 401k.  and life insurance.  and paid time off.  and maturity leave.

..okay i like my job but i'd kind of like to code something up in my free time.  coding is fun.

Legend

1,000 in sales would recoup your dev costs?!?  what are you charging??  a "high end" indie seems to chart $20 and if all i got for 2 years of effort was 20k i'd rather work a minimum wage job flipping burgers...  i'd get ~60k for that at least.

200k at 10,000 in sales isn't soo bad though.

..wanna mentor me in game development?  i've always kinda wanted to but i just haven't tried.

It'd recoup the actual money I've spent on the game. Hardware, software, services, and licenses.

Time wise yeah, working part time minimum wage would make way more money.

100k a year for me would be a lot of money!!!!!! However with fees and realistic pricing, it's more like 50k a year before tax. Not the best for a job, but for me as an indie dev that'd be a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My financial goals with VizionEck are to at least break even on dev and living expenses for the past two years. Building up the portfolio, gaining the real life experience, and making a product that's loved by at least a few gamers are my main priorities.

Maybe after VizionEck. Ideally the game would be a huge success and actually allow me to pay people to work on the next project.

Mmm_fish_tacos

i already make 100k a year so it wouldn't be something i'd be "excited" about.  it would be nice to be my own boss but i actually love my current job.   ..and there is something to be said about a steady paycheck.  useful for paying those bills that pop-up monthly instead of bi-annually.   health insurance is nice too.  and 401k.  and life insurance.  and paid time off.  and maturity leave.

..okay i like my job but i'd kind of like to code something up in my free time.  coding is fun.

But what if he manage 30,000 copies? or got a deal with ps+. 

Yes all those thing are nice. I have them too. But i could losses all those things tomorrow. As my life is in the hands of someone that already has more money than they know what to do with but would cut my job just to make his bottom line look that much better and wouldn't think about it twice. When you go down the path that legend is building for himself you'll get all that plus some if he makes it.

Legend

Yes all those thing are nice. I have them too. But i could losses all those things tomorrow. As my life is in the hands of someone that already has more money than they know what to do with but would cut my job just to make his bottom line look that much better and wouldn't think about it twice. When you go down the path that legend is building for himself you'll get all that plus some if he makes it.

Yeah I mean if I make it, this game could make me a millionare.

And if I'm lucky like Notch, this game could make me a billionaire haha.

kitler53

that's a big if though.  america will certainly reward those with the ballz to try and be an entrepreneur.   ...america will also baby slap those same entrepreneurs if the business they create isn't a hit. 

FLGibsonIII

Mar 03, 2015, 02:02 AM Last Edit: Mar 03, 2015, 02:08 AM by FLGibsonIII
I'd try to send your game to youtubers to gain publicity. It says this on the steam indie sales one.
All aboard the hype train.

Legend

I'd try to send your game to youtubers to gain publicity. It says this on the steam indie sales one.

Yeah lets plays can be extremely beneficial.