Dan Adelman On Indie Game Pricing

Started by Legend, Feb 27, 2015, 08:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

http://dan-adelman.com/post/112239049886/on-indie-game-pricing

Good read. He's convinced me to charge $80 for VizionEck, and only increase the price as time goes by.

FLGibsonIII

nice read. I have been researching economics for a while to truly understand what is happening and what should happen. I semi-agree with what is written here. I believe the idea for sales hurting games change from game to game. For Fallout and MGS the real fan of the series will buy these games day 1 along with those who aren't fans either. These are known  high quality games that only come out once in a while. Frequent sales seem to hurt games that are somewhat obscure or are JUST good. People can wait on just a good experience or an unknown one since the industry is over-saturated with many good games. This can hurt annual releases as people might just skip a year since they know one will come later and don't need a fix. I think he also underestimates the fact that people wouldn't have bought it otherwise and if the game is of high quality they become a loyal fan to the dev. As he says marketing helps a lot too. I feel like I repeated a lot of what he just said after typing this.

tldr: Market VizionEck
All aboard the hype train.

Dr. Pezus

I think he also underestimates the fact that people wouldn't have bought it otherwise and if the game is of high quality they become a loyal fan to the dev.
This

But he is dang right with this:
"Step 3 - Having played Axiom Verge about 5 times now, I feel pretty confident that at $19.99 it's a bargain. (Again, biased!) In terms of price promotions, we haven't announced our plans yet, so I may as well do it here. Sony just announced that Axiom Verge will be part of the Spring Fever promotion. All titles in that promotion will be 10% off during their launch week for PlayStation Plus subscribers. I'm happy with this, because if there's anyone who deserves a price break, it's the most ardent fans who have been supporting us all along! But after that initial week, we will not be discounting Axiom Verge for at least 6 months after launch, meaning the first time it would ever be discounted will be October 2015. To be clear, we haven't decided if it will go on sale in October. We've just decided that it will not go on sale before then.

By announcing this, I'm hoping this accomplishes two things: First, I'm hoping that people will not feel like they're about to make a mistake if they pay full price. Second, I'm hoping that people who feel that $19.99 is too expensive can make a more informed judgment. If they're waiting for the price to go down to, say, $14.99, they can decide whether waiting 6 months is worth $5. To some it will be. To others it won't. And that's fine. I'd much rather people make informed decisions with as much transparency as possible than feel any buyer's remorse. Because we need our customers to feel good about what they're buying. We're all in this together."

Legend

nice read. I have been researching economics for a while to truly understand what is happening and what should happen. I semi-agree with what is written here. I believe the idea for sales hurting games change from game to game. For Fallout and MGS the real fan of the series will buy these games day 1 along with those who aren't fans either. These are known  high quality games that only come out once in a while. Frequent sales seem to hurt games that are somewhat obscure or are JUST good. People can wait on just a good experience or an unknown one since the industry is over-saturated with many good games. This can hurt annual releases as people might just skip a year since they know one will come later and don't need a fix. I think he also underestimates the fact that people wouldn't have bought it otherwise and if the game is of high quality they become a loyal fan to the dev. As he says marketing helps a lot too. I feel like I repeated a lot of what he just said after typing this.

tldr: Market VizionEck

It's also important to distingiush between discounts and price drops. Gradual decreases in price over time attrack people whothought the launch price was bad, while sales attract them and people who like value. Like the people who have hundreds of steam games. The vast majority are from the logic "this deal is just too good to pass up" not "oh I guess I can finally afford that game."

Eh not even sure what my point is.

Tldr: VizionEck will have some sales, but I don't plan to decrease the price over time.

Dr. Pezus

^We posted at exactly the same time...wtf

Dr. Pezus

It's also important to distingiush between discounts and price drops. Gradual decreases in price over time attrack people whothought the launch price was bad, while sales attract them and people who like value. Like the people who have hundreds of steam games. The vast majority are from the logic "this deal is just too good to pass up" not "oh I guess I can finally afford that game."

Tldr: VizionEck will have some sales, but I don't plan to decrease the price over time.
Maybe you should do something like they're doing with Axiom Verge, actually have the launch price slightly lower than it will be for the next few months. Then maybe drop the price once for a short while and raise it back up.

Legend

^We posted at exactly the same time...wtf

Well obviously you posted first ;)

FLGibsonIII

Feb 27, 2015, 10:59 PM Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015, 11:02 PM by FLGibsonIII

This

But he is dang right with this:
"Step 3 - Having played Axiom Verge about 5 times now, I feel pretty confident that at $19.99 it's a bargain. (Again, biased!) In terms of price promotions, we haven't announced our plans yet, so I may as well do it here. Sony just announced that Axiom Verge will be part of the Spring Fever promotion. All titles in that promotion will be 10% off during their launch week for PlayStation Plus subscribers. I'm happy with this, because if there's anyone who deserves a price break, it's the most ardent fans who have been supporting us all along! But after that initial week, we will not be discounting Axiom Verge for at least 6 months after launch, meaning the first time it would ever be discounted will be October 2015. To be clear, we haven't decided if it will go on sale in October. We've just decided that it will not go on sale before then.

By announcing this, I'm hoping this accomplishes two things: First, I'm hoping that people will not feel like they're about to make a mistake if they pay full price. Second, I'm hoping that people who feel that $19.99 is too expensive can make a more informed judgment. If they're waiting for the price to go down to, say, $14.99, they can decide whether waiting 6 months is worth $5. To some it will be. To others it won't. And that's fine. I'd much rather people make informed decisions with as much transparency as possible than feel any buyer's remorse. Because we need our customers to feel good about what they're buying. We're all in this together."

I completely agree with that.

I agree with that too.

Legend

Maybe you should do something like they're doing with Axiom Verge, actually have the launch price slightly lower than it will be for the next few months. Then maybe drop the price once for a short while and raise it back up.

With VizionEck having multiplayer, I have an even harder task with figuring out price.

It's not just about making the most money, it's about getting the most active players and keeping that playercount high. Making money for me is almost secondary haha.

Dr. Pezus

Well obviously you posted first ;)
your post loaded when I posted lulz, didn't need to refresh

FLGibsonIII

With VizionEck having multiplayer, I have an even harder task with figuring out price.

It's not just about making the most money, it's about getting the most active players and keeping that playercount high. Making money for me is almost secondary haha.

Keeping player count high is a big deal. As I am sure you already know, high player counts lead to more sales later on

Legend

Keeping player count high is a big deal. As I am sure you already know, high player counts lead to more sales later on

More sales and more importantly happier players. If it takes 30 boring minutes to find a match, people are going to hate it.

FLGibsonIII

Happiness is the most important thing.

Max King of the Wild

More sales and more importantly happier players. If it takes 30 boring minutes to find a match, people are going to hate it.
i think making a fun game is key to that. If it's fun people will pay. The next step is exposure. Even if it's fun then someone needs to know it exists to play it. So I suggest giving me a review copy so I can tell people about it...

Xbro

I'd say $15. And hope you can get it to PS+. Not entirely sure what the process for that is though.
3 people like this