Thread port: Titanfall has nearly 8m unique players, sequel will not be exclusive to any platform

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Dec 20, 2014, 05:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

Respawn just completed its season pass for Titanfall, so overall how are things going?

I think they're going well, the game was obviously pretty successful. I think we announced 7 million [entitlements - or unique players] a month ago or so or whatever...We're obviously still selling so we are closing in on 8 million now. So for us, as an early launch on a limited platform we're pretty happy. I think the DLC has been pretty successful especially the last one - Frontier's Edge - has been very well received. I don't know what are you hearing about it? I would be interested to hear your take.
One of the things you said that I thought was very powerful at the time we did our cover story was that focusing on one console with the exclusive Microsoft deal really helped you guys get the game done and make it exciting and fun. On the other hand, there was a lot of discussion and confusion about Titanfall being exclusive and for how long, so while the first game is exclusive to the Microsoft platform, Titanfall as a brand is exclusive to Respawn. So as you move forward are you open to different deals as it goes forward? Do you think there's a multiplatform, multi-console version of Titanfall in the future?

I've already said future projects will not necessarily be exclusive.
If it will not necessarily be exclusive, does your deal with Microsoft and EA cover just the first Titanfall title or is it multiple titles?

Just this one.

Just this one. That's interesting.

Yup.
Originally Posted by JehutyRunner

credit: Miles Quaritch of neogaf.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

Legend

All the hope that TF2 would be an xbox exclusive.

I thought most people, at least here, already assumed that.

Also nothing's to stop microsoft from swooping in and buying tf2 later on ;)

Mmm_fish_tacos

I thought most people, at least here, already assumed that.

Also nothing's to stop microsoft from swooping in and buying tf2 later on ;)

Yeah, but this is just more conformation. And I doubt it ;)

Dr. Pezus

" does your *deal* with Microsoft and EA"

It's funny how so many always denied that there ever was a deal...they just said Respawn was a small dev that couldn't make it for so many platforms lmao

BananaKing

titanfall 2 will be interesting. hope they have co-op, horde mode and multiplayer at launch. im more interested in their 3rd person game though.

Legend

titanfall 2 will be interesting. hope they have co-op, horde mode and multiplayer at launch. im more interested in their 3rd person game though.

3rd person game?

BananaKing

3rd person game?

job listing says they are looking for someone with experience with a 3rd person type game. with stig apparently leading the job chances are it can be a 3rd person shooter.

Legend

job listing says they are looking for someone with experience with a 3rd person type game. with stig apparently leading the job chances are it can be a 3rd person shooter.

Gowiii stig?

Nice! I'm hyped too then.

Raven

Titanfall 2 won't come with the same hype as the first. I'm interested in the sequel but only in what Respawn does with it. If it looks like what I imagined of the original or more, I'll be excited. If it's mostly more of the same then I'm not going to care. I only played the first one for about 20 hours total.

BananaKing

Gowiii stig?

Nice! I'm hyped too then.

yup. new ip that spent 4 years in development then cancelled before it was even announced stig!

but honestly, i am hyped too, it will be interesting to see if he just had bad luck at SSM and things just didnt work out.

Raven

yup. new ip that spent 4 years in development then cancelled before it was even announced stig!

but honestly, i am hyped too, it will be interesting to see if he just had bad luck at SSM and things just didnt work out.

I don't know. I think Stig got too much credit that he didn't deserve. Most of the ground work was already put down by Barlog on God of War III before he left. Asmussen didn't take over until 8 months into the project. A project that was a sequel in a well established franchise that was already known for excellence based on the core mechanics and principles established by the first game. Playing it safe, which the game largely did, was all that was needed for Asmussen to grab his ticket to success.

Clearly he was good at what he did prior to being the director of GoW III. I doubt he would have been promoted if he wasn't. However, I think his utter failure for 4 years to direct a new IP is a good indication that he is not ready for that. From what I understand it wasn't just a single run for 4 years that ended up being cancelled. Rather, it was 4 years of scrapping the initial plans and trying something else repeatedly and never coming up with anything good.

BananaKing

I don't know. I think Stig got too much credit that he didn't deserve. Most of the ground work was already put down by Barlog on God of War III before he left. Asmussen didn't take over until 8 months into the project. A project that was a sequel in a well established franchise that was already known for excellence based on the core mechanics and principles established by the first game. Playing it safe, which the game largely did, was all that was needed for Asmussen to grab his ticket to success.

Clearly he was good at what he did prior to being the director of GoW III. I doubt he would have been promoted if he wasn't. However, I think his utter failure for 4 years to direct a new IP is a good indication that he is not ready for that. From what I understand it wasn't just a single run for 4 years that ended up being cancelled. Rather, it was 4 years of scrapping the initial plans and trying something else repeatedly and never coming up with anything good.

im pretty sure the titanfall guys would be there to help and guide him if he needed. also, it isnt confirmed that he is heading the project, but we just know he joined the crew.

either way im interested. titan fall was good, it just was lacking content.