How often do you use math?

Started by Legend, Jul 17, 2018, 06:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I was just reading a thread somewhere with people making fun of learning math in school since they don't ever use it as adults. How about you?

I do math almost every single day since I'm programing. Unity is a 3D engine and if you don't use vectors you're going to have a bad time. Also it's just a lot of basic math you're setting up for the computer. Outside of general development math, I specifically like working on games with a lot of math involved. My 4D game engine for example is insanely fun to work on since I'm having to learn more math as I go.

Xevross

I usually use basic math every day, but math I've learned at school in the past like 8 years has only ever been useful in school.

Dr. Pezus

Every day but mostly simple calculations in my mind. I've always been pretty decent calculating simple things quickly, things most people would have to use a calculator or at least write down to make sure they get it right. Hasn't got a lot to do with school though I think

the-pi-guy

Every day for basic math.
Every school day for advanced math.
Whenever I feel like it, for advanced math.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Basic everyday. Advanced, never.

darkknightkryta

You can't walk without it.

the-pi-guy

I think one of the big reasons why people don't think they really use math is because when you get to algebra, the every day uses are less obvious.  

For example, if I send you to the store to get enough apples for 22 people, assuming each person will take 1 apple, and each bag has 8 apples.  How do you figure that out?
The problem is, that there are ways to solve it that are basically algebra that feel like basic math.  

We set it up algebraically like:
8 (apples/bag) * x (bags) >= 22 (people) * 1 (apple/person)
It's pretty clear that this is 3 bags.

We pretty instinctively know that we need 3 bags, even without setting up the equation:
8 apples = 1 bag
16 apples = 2 bags
24 apples = 3 bags.

This instinctiveness, combined with the belief that math is hard and only for nerds, is a big reason why people think math doesn't really get used.
We're led to believe that math is only something that really smart people use.