Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

DD_Bwest

Webcast said the interstage is just dirty from reuse, not block 5.

Is doing a soft landing in the ocean. Didn't say why.
yea i even heard the call out of the soft landing in the back ground lol  certainly interesting.

so all thats left this year is the static fire i think

Legend

Haha I love how freaking awesome it looked.

Everyone online is freaking out about it being a UFO.

Kerotan

I seen Dan Henderson post a pic of it flying over his gym. All the parents should have said it was santa claus haha. Looked great.

DD_Bwest

few hours till the window opens..  with the payload being classified, after eperation the coverage will focus on the stage 1 landing at LZ-1.

Legend

few hours till the window opens..  with the payload being classified, after eperation the coverage will focus on the stage 1 landing at LZ-1.
I accidentally missed the launch. Didn't expect it to be at the beginning of the window  ::)

edt: ZUMA might have failed after launch? This is such a mysterious mission.

DD_Bwest

Legend

New plans for Boca Chica.

Is being built as a McGregor 2.0 for BFR. That way the rocket can arrive by barge.

First rocket tests should be late this year/early 2019. The launch pad itself will take longer to finish.

Reminds me of how Blue Origin is combining their test and launch sites.

Legend

Blue Origin according to this article is only going to have about 300 people employed at their Florida facility for the next few years. Combined with some other comments Blue Origin have made about their first customer flights being ~2022 (and a reddit post figuring this all out), it seems that Blue Origin is going to build a New Glenn prototype and test it similar to their New Sheppard before commiting to a full production line for the vehicle.

So the New Glenn prototype might fly ~2020 but for are intents and purposes the rocket won't be fully ready until ~2022 or so. Means Falcon Heavy could have a few extra years without a competitor and it means New Glenn will have very little time until it's competing with BFR.

Makes me wonder if the three staged version of New Glenn might be scrapped while they instead work on a fully reusable system.

DD_Bwest

wow thats interesting and certainly gives a big hand to spacex.  

glad the shut down in over so they can get back to FH

Legend

Govsat should be tomorrow. Might be delayed a day for weather.

Legend

Xevross

Legend

What's happening in 3 hours?
"next launch"

Reused Falcon 9 sending up SES 16/GovSat to geostationary transfer orbit.

The picture above shows the Luxembourg royal family since the GovSat section of the satellite is from them.

Legend

Go Up