Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

This is probably going to be a disaster.  

But I'm gonna try browsing VizionEck in Japanese on my phone.  At least till I get sick of it.  :P I am hoping it'll give me opportunity to practice and expand my vocabulary.
I need to do that with Dutch. I haven't practiced it in the longest time.

the-pi-guy

I need to do that with Dutch. I haven't practiced it in the longest time.
It's really hard in Japanese because there aren't any spaces.  
And I only recognize a few hundred words right now.
So every time there is a handful of unfamiliar words, it's hard to look it up because the words blend together.  
And Google translate isn't always that great.  

I still find sentences I can read though.  Pretty cool.

the-pi-guy

So, I'm trying to work on making a better game.  

Has to be entertaining enough, that it'd be addicting.  
Simple enough to be implementable in a reasonable time.
Expressive enough to actually test and develop language skills.  

If anyone has ideas, I'd love that.  
Currently I'm looking into making a card game, similar to Yu-Gi-Oh.  

Legend

So, I'm trying to work on making a better game.  

Has to be entertaining enough, that it'd be addicting.  
Simple enough to be implementable in a reasonable time.
Expressive enough to actually test and develop language skills.  

If anyone has ideas, I'd love that.  
Currently I'm looking into making a card game, similar to Yu-Gi-Oh.  
You could have loot box like mechanics and lots of flashy pizazz. Would surely help make it addicting even if the gameplay loop isn't that great.

Are you wanting to make it a game that uses words and feels like a learning game, or is it more of a game that teaches as a byproduct?

the-pi-guy

You could have loot box like mechanics and lots of flashy pizazz. Would surely help make it addicting even if the gameplay loop isn't that great.
I'm not sure the best way to present that.  
But I like it.  

Are you wanting to make it a game that uses words and feels like a learning game, or is it more of a game that teaches as a byproduct?
Ideally the latter, Here's what I'm thinking so far.  
Cards are basically just letters.  For English, we might have h,e,l,l,o is a hand.  Obviously these can make a word.  Separately they can be played, but you can combine them to make a single more powerful "monster".  

So far, it's probably my favorite idea.  It's simple enough to not require any kind of language knowledge, but language knowledge is advantageous.  

Legend

I'm not sure the best way to present that.  
But I like it.  
Ideally the latter, Here's what I'm thinking so far.  
Cards are basically just letters.  For English, we might have h,e,l,l,o is a hand.  Obviously these can make a word.  Separately they can be played, but you can combine them to make a single more powerful "monster".  

So far, it's probably my favorite idea.  It's simple enough to not require any kind of language knowledge, but language knowledge is advantageous.  
I like it.

Would you want to have a grammar component or just leave it at vocabulary?

the-pi-guy

I like it.

Would you want to have a grammar component or just leave it at vocabulary?
Probably just vocabulary.  
Unless I could come up with a good consistent design to incorporate grammar.  Some grammar would be pretty easy to add, but I can imagine running into issues with adding some other parts.  

the-pi-guy

Dec 26, 2017, 09:31 PM Last Edit: Dec 26, 2017, 09:33 PM by the-pi-guy

These are the 3 books I got.  
Third one is still being delivered.  First two bought by sister.  Last bought by my wife.  

Watched "The Girl Who leapt through time".   Was cool to be understanding a fair amount of the dialogue early on in the movie.  

the-pi-guy

I decided to scrap my card game idea.  Just a lot of issues that I wasn't really finding good solutions for.  

Like I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle the writing with Hiragana, vs Kanji vs the English meaning.  Like some Hiragana words have several, completely different meanings, and that's why Kanji is really important.  Then I was thinking maybe have a separate deck of Kanji to match the Hiragana word (so that the player has the words to match them to), but I didn't really like that either.

And I wasn't sure how to handle the deck.  What happens if the player can't match any of the characters.  Imagine if you got a hand that said "hhhhh", what are the players options.  I don't like the idea of having super large hands, or an infinite deck.  

I'm not sure if those issues make sense, but I just didn't like any solution for them.  

I kind of decided I didn't want to go through with it a while ago.

I woke up this morning and I pretty quickly found myself with a new idea, to make an RPG.  With the card game project, the more I thought about it, the more that I felt that it couldn't really work the way I was wanting it to.  With this RPG though, the more I think about it, the more exciting it is.  

It kind of ties in with the Skyrim project that I posted on the first page, except I thought of some really nice ways to structure it.  

Legend

Glad you're still figuring things out even if the first idea didn't work.

So would this rpg push the language back to just being an element of the world, or would gameplay still be dependent on it?

the-pi-guy

Scots leid - Wikipedia

Reading the page about Scots language in Scottish.  

the-pi-guy

Sometimes it's kind of crazy to think of all the things in language that native speakers don't even really think about.  

Like just think about stress in English. Here's an example that wikipedia had.
I didn't take the test yesterday. (Somebody else did.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I did not take it.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I did something else with it.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took a different one.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took something else.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took it some other day.)

Or take adjective order.  
The beautiful big dragon vs the big beautiful dragon.  They just feel different.  

Xevross

Sometimes it's kind of crazy to think of all the things in language that native speakers don't even really think about.  

Like just think about stress in English. Here's an example that wikipedia had.
I didn't take the test yesterday. (Somebody else did.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I did not take it.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I did something else with it.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took a different one.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took something else.)
I didn't take the test yesterday. (I took it some other day.)

Or take adjective order.  
The beautiful big dragon vs the big beautiful dragon.  They just feel different.  
Yeah I hear that its subtle things like that which make English a baby to learn how to speak. Learning to read/ write it is a lot easier.

The big thing that my step mum complains about is the different pronunciations of the same chains of letters. Like why does adding an s in front of laughter make it sound like slaughter?

the-pi-guy

My nephew is 6 years old, and he's been learning Spanish in his classes.  Wifey says that he is better at Spanish than she is, even though she did like 5 years of Spanish in school.  

Yeah I hear that its subtle things like that which make English a baby to learn how to speak. Learning to read/ write it is a lot easier.

The big thing that my step mum complains about is the different pronunciations of the same chains of letters. Like why does adding an s in front of laughter make it sound like slaughter?
I'm pretty glad I'm a native English speaker.  Don't even have to think about most of these things.

Legend

Like why does adding an s in front of laughter make it sound like slaughter?
Because spoken language has a couple thousand sounds yet we only have 26 letters. If you want to keep the language an alphabet, it'd be impossible to not have letters affect the pronunciation of other letters. Not that English couldn't do with a spelling reform but that could never get rid of all different pronunciations for the same chains of letters.

Go Up