The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

Bound is ok. The VR camera is fighting me though. The game sure feels like VR was an afterthought, but even then it could have been better. It's a third person camera and when you rotate the camera around the player, it resets the forward direction. So instead of the dancer being towards the TV/move camera at all times, she's constantly moving sideways. Before rotating the camera, I have to look forward just to keep her in place.

This system might be fine if you played in a swivel chair though.

the-pi-guy

Have you ever tried Trinus?
It does cost money, but there is a trial version.

Well that's certainly the case now, but what about once we have headsets with perfect resolution, depth, focus, etc. The environment could be bland without any interesting geometry yet your brain would still perceive it as a physical object instead of a TV object imo.
I still think you could make a game that doesn't feel like you're in a world.  
Maybe with really good headsets, you'd almost have to go out of your way to do it, though.  

I so badly want to make a 3D model of my living room using photogammetry and try it out in VR. I feel like it'd be really strange feeling. Last time I looked into it though it'd take too much work to be worth it.
I've thought about this too.  
It'd probably be incredibly surreal, especially if you could do stuff like changing lighting.

The worst game that I played in VR was Adventure Time.  I'm not sure if there was another game, but this is the one that I know I didn't feel like I was actually in the world.  I feel like a lot of the problem was that the camera was too high up.  Or maybe there wasn't enough going on in the environment.  
Oddly though, I remember being more impressed when I tried playing it a second time.  

Lucky's Tale actually has great presence.  
Like if you go underground, everything feels smaller and a bit claustrophobic.

the-pi-guy

I wrote this on Chartz.  I've said all of this before I think, but here we go.

View Post

Yes, I own the Oculus Rift.  I've used it for a few hundred hours.  

My overall feelings on it, is that there is a huge amount of room for improvement.  But the experience is already amazing.  

The screens have a lot of room for improvement, resolution, focus, and field of view namely.  Some games can cause quite a bit of motion sickness.  Some games don't though.  

But when VR is good, it's amazingly good.  

There is nothing like the experience.  There's nothing like being able to crouch on the ground, there's nothing like being able to look underneath a virtual table, there's nothing like being able to physically look up at the stars.  There's nothing like being able to pick up a virtual ball and throwing it.  There's nothing like playing Lucky's Tale, and being able to physically get up and look at a virtual creature from all angles.  There's nothing like moving a map with your hands, placing towers with your hands, directing units with your hands.  

VR is like comparing actually being somewhere beautiful to just a picture of the place.  It hardly ever compares.  

VR is all these little things that just add together for insane immersion.  

It gets even better when you actually forget you're in the real world.  It's just a crazy moment when your brain is convinced you're standing in Rick and Morty's garage and not your bedroom.  

It wasn't even really a game at all, but I had that experience in this little Coco VR app.

You're a skeleton in the land of the undead.  You see a reflection of you in this mirror and your hands and head are all doing exactly what they would be doing in a real mirror.  You pick up stuff with your hands, and you start a record player with your hands.  You open the door with your hands.  You get to physically look around at skyscrapers, undead people, the sky.  It's just incredible.  

There are no where near as many good games as I want, and I haven't used it as much as I want.  I don't even know if there will be any games next year or the year after.  But even then, this has been worth it to me.  

I expect in 4 years, if not sooner that we will see headsets that will make the best headsets right now look like crud in every way, shape and form.  

And you can bet, that when I can afford that, I will be jumping on the new headsets.  

[/size]

Legend

My favorite VR experience still has to be the Netflix App for Gear VR. It's just so good at transporting you into a different life. I feel like I've been to that mountain resort and sat on that couch. I really really wish it was ported to other devices.

I think game devs are still struggling with understanding that VR can be more than just a camera mode or a game mechanic.

the-pi-guy

Nice.
 PSN - PSVR Game Sale (Ends 10/23) | ResetEra

Link Here:

Some highlights:

Reg - PS+

Firewall: Zero Hour - $33.99 - $31.99
 Superhot VR - $17.49 - $14.99
 Job Simulator - $14.99 - $13.99
 PS World - $5.99 - $4.99
 Ricky and Morty - $17.99 - $14.99
 RE7 Gold Edition - $34.99 - $29.99
 Voltron VR Chronicles - $3.99 - $1.99
 WipEout Omega Collection - $13.99 - $11.99
 Star Trek Bridge Crew - $23.99 - $19.99
 Arizona Sunshine - $19.99 - $15.99
 Dirt Rally VR DLC - $9.09 - $5.19
 Dirt Rally VR Combo - $29.99 - $9.99 (WOW)
 Farpoint - $14.99 - $12.99
 RIGS - $6.99 - $4.99
 ScultptrVR - $14.99 - $12.99
 Apex Construct - $17.99 - $14.99
 DOOM VFR - $20.99 - $17.99
 DriveClub VR - $5.99 - $3.74
 EVE Valkyrie Warzone - $11.99 - $8.99
 Raw Data - $19.99 - $15.99
 Skyrim VR - $41.99 - $35.99
 Werewolves Within - $8.59 - $6.59  

Legend

Rigs made me almost puke.

It thought the forward direction was slightly off to my right instead of forward, so it just didn't feel right while playing. Then that kept drifting even farther right.

Also every time you move, the screen shrinks. It's really really nauseating and I couldn't make it far enough to find out if it was optional.

the-pi-guy

Rigs made me almost puke.

It thought the forward direction was slightly off to my right instead of forward, so it just didn't feel right while playing. Then that kept drifting even farther right.

Also every time you move, the screen shrinks. It's really really nauseating and I couldn't make it far enough to find out if it was optional.
Sucks.  :(

A weird recommendation.  
When you're playing with VR, put a fan on you.  I've been finding that if a game makes me feel a bit sick, the fan makes me feel better.

the-pi-guy

Oculus co-founder Luckey says, 'It wasn't my choice to leave' Facebook

Luckey says he didn't leave by choice.
Facebook was the best thing to happen to VR.  

Oculus' giant Core 2.0 update is available to everyone

Big software update . Haven't tried it yet .

Funny sidenote .Someone didn't want MegaMan in VR because of "jittery camera".  
He watched VR on a screen and thought that the camera was intentionally shaking, even though it was just head movements.  

Legend

the-pi-guy

How is Oculus doing nowadays? I hear about them a lot less now.
Oculus Studios has slowed down a lot, but they're focusing on larger titles.

Sales are mostly slowing, but up due to high Oculus Go sales.  

the-pi-guy

VR ideas:

-Since VR is amazing for scale, there should be a game where you fight enemies way bigger than you.

Something that would be terrible for the actual gameplay, but would have an awesome experience would be something like Shadow of the Colossus.  Setting up the camera so you have a full person sized beast, while controlling a tiny human.  

-VR should also have like education stuff.
Like you could do an algebra game where you have buckets.  
Like if you wanted to solve the following:
2x=y
You could have 2 buckets on the left that have the same number of balls in both of them.  And one bucket on the right.  You could do something dumb like that, and have the user be able to move buckets around and stuff. Also be able to put more balls in a bucket.  

Physics stuff could also be cool.  You could throw stuff around and have equations of motion showing their trajectory.

the-pi-guy

This is the Oculus opening keynote:

Michael Abrash comes on at 1:14:30, and he talks about the future of VR and AR.  

So I got to try Oculus Home 2.0.  Pretty cool.  There's a lot of customization options for your room:

Image result for oculus home 2.0

This has completely sold me on the idea of using VR for online shopping:

Some of these cubes are more impressive than others.  Some of them are like these amazing 3D cubes.  

You change rooms by grabbing these crystal spheres and throwing them on the ground:

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

I haven't been paying much attention to haptics, but this looks incredible.

Go Up