The dying of old technology

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 22, 2016, 07:01 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Jul 22, 2016, 07:01 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2016, 03:49 PM by the-pi-guy
Fact number 1:

Japan ceasing production of VCR players - NeoGAF

From Nikkei, via BBC:
Production of the last videocassette recorder (VCR) to be made in Japan will cease by the end of the month, according to the Nikkei newspaper.
 Funai Electric has been producing VHS-playing VCRs for 33 years, most recently for Chinese company Sanyo.
 But last year it sold just 750,000 units, down from a peak of 15 million a year, and has been finding it difficult to source the necessary parts.
 VCRs were introduced in the 1970s but were superseded by DVD technology.
 Last year, Sony announced it would stop selling Betamax video cassettes - a rival to the VHS. VCRs were required to play or record such tapes.
 It was 12 years ago that UK High Street retailer Dixons decided to phase out the sale of VCRs due to the popularity of DVD players.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-3...alflow_twitter
 I haven't used a VCR in years. The last time I came into contact with the format was a Christmas many years ago where I used VHS tape as decorations for the Christmas tree.
 Do you still use VCR?

Japan is stopping production of VCR players.
Fact number 2:
But last year it sold just 750,000 units
VCR outsold Xbox One last year in Japan.

Fact number 3:

With all this, I am reminded of when these were a thing.
Honestly, it's crazy how far we've come.  It's crazy to think back when companies sold special devices to rewind VHS tapes.  :o
There isn't really any equivalent today to that.

So firstly we started with some dying technology.  VCR players, VHS rewinders, Xbox One, all wonderful technology and they will be missed. 
What weird or crazy technology from your younger days do you miss/not think about ever/ not miss/ think is crazy/etc?

"Let me rewind your DVD in my special machine"  What?
"Let me rewind your USB flash drive in this USB rewinding machine!"  No way man!

Xevross

Actually I'd totally forgotten about this but the thread reminded me but I remember having things which we called tapes. They're like small VCRs and played music and we had a stereo with the slot in the front. I totally forgot those existed :o

darkknightkryta

Yeah, my dad asked if we should throw the VCR away and I was like "No".  Cause I knew you can't find them anymore.  I'm actually sad MD players didn't last long.  It was the next logical step for floppy disks.   Even today, a 4gig mini disk in their fancy plastic casing would be awesome.  dang you thumb drives!!!!!!

Legend

My parents run their own company and naturally they don't upgrade the home office a lot. One computer is still running Windows 95, and up till last year floppy discs were still used. Only stopped using floppy because buying them was getting too hard.

I like old tech. Still watch VHS every once in a while.

Xevross

My parents run their own company and naturally they don't upgrade the home office a lot. One computer is still running Windows 95, and up till last year floppy discs were still used. Only stopped using floppy because buying them was getting too hard.

I like old tech. Still watch VHS every once in a while.
What company do they run?

Legend

What company do they run?
A local pest control one.

Xevross

A local pest control one.
Well I guess computer tech isn't that important then

Legend

Well I guess computer tech isn't that important then
Yea why change what isn't broken.

the-pi-guy

Yea why change what isn't broken.
Speaking of changing broken things, I fixed the OP.  
Like 2/3rd of it went missing for some reason.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

People in here forgetting what it tape is. how many actually has seen or heald or listen to an 8-track how many actually had to get up off the couch and dial in your TV  like an old FM radio how many people had a TV that was the size of a small car made out of wood in your living room? Yet it was only a 12 inch screen.

Legend

People in here forgetting what it tape is. how many actually has seen or heald or listen to an 8-track how many actually had to get up off the couch and dial in your TV  like an old FM radio how many people had a TV that was the size of a small car made out of wood in your living room? Yet it was only a 12 inch screen.
I've had everything but the last one, thanks to my grandma. We've got so many cool old things. Have a 44 star flag for example.

Mmm_fish_tacos

We need to go a head and make a 54 star flag.

Legend

We need to go a head and make a 54 star flag.
Which territories are you wanting to add?

Mmm_fish_tacos

Which territories are you wanting to add?
Sorry 55,

Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa.

All these places should have been states a long time ago.