The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

Lol the original article was funny. Using Amazon sales ranks as sales analysis...

During the summer no less
They apparently did so, while HTC Vive was out of stock.  (Still is)
Apparently it's being sold for up to $100 more on eBay.  

the-pi-guy

A thread on Resetera made me think FFX would be awesome in VR.  

I really want a VR RPG...  

Legend

A thread on Resetera made me think FFX would be awesome in VR.  

I really want a VR RPG...  
I wish we got the VR modes that were first announced instead of just the fishing thing.

the-pi-guy

So Disney has some free VR things.  

I just tried Coco.

The lame stuff:
There wasn't a lot to do. It was like a 10-20 minute thing.  
Some animations are preset.  So if you try opening a gate in the game, it'll mostly take over and animate itself.  It's not horrid, but the game will lag behind your motion.  

The good:
It starts off with a dress up game that you can walk around. The game basically predicts where your legs are, based on where your head is.  Sometimes it's horribly off, but it'll be nearly spot on at some surprising times.  

I got to a train and there was a moment where I was completely in it.  
VR is really cool, but the moments when you feel like you are completely detached from the real world, are indescribable.  I was legitimately tearing up.  
You get a view, from the train, of the "skyscrapers" in the land of the dead.  The scenery is awesome.  

Legend

Sweet.

Yeah I get that feeling in the netflix gear vr app. I'll always love it.

the-pi-guy

Been thinking of some crazy stuff.  
In the case that we can't make a real life holodeck.   :P
Or tap into the brain.  

Some crazy VR idea:

Basically you'd have a suit that could press on you to simulate touch throughout most of your body.  
The headsets would be tiny at some point.  Basically the smallest they possibly can be while covering your entire visual space.  

The other part of my idea is similar to infinadeck.  Except take it to the 3rd dimension.  The suit could have shoes that connect, so you could walk up walls in the "infinaroom".  You could also hang from the ceiling.  

Infinaroom could also allow each part of the room to select the height of itself.  
You could have players walking on realistic terrain that slopes upward for example.  

Even better you might be able to apply this to the walls and could potentially convince the player that he's climbing onto a cliff ledge.  As you pull on it, the room could lower it and extend it slowly so that by the time you are on it, it's working on replacing the ground.  

Not sure if it's possible, but I feel like there's a way to make it convincing.  

Just my midnight brain, while trying to sleep.  

the-pi-guy

Played Minecraft in VR for about 2 hours.  Longest I've ever been inside the headset without a break.  

Wow.  

Before this I wasn't sure if I was up for a long play session.  
I really like that I can sit down in it.  I feel like it only takes a little bit away from the immersion.  

Legend

I think the hardest part of a VR holodeck is making objects feel solid. Like you'd need to put the whole body in an exosuit and then attach the back to a robotic arm so that you could simulate everything. Would need to have some insanely good sensors so that you don't feel the exosuit until you're supposed to.

the-pi-guy

So I played Minecraft for 6-7 hours today.  

While it isn't the most immersive experience, it feels very comfortable sitting down or standing up, doesn't really have a big impact on my enjoyment.  

Skyrim isn't very comfortable sitting down because you are short compared to everyone .

the-pi-guy

One VR thing I've always wanted, even before the Rift was a thing is a Lego application.  

Imagine littlebigplanet creation mode, virtually unlimited Legos, being able to move and place the virtual blocks with your hands.

Legend

One VR thing I've always wanted, even before the Rift was a thing is a Lego application.  

Imagine littlebigplanet creation mode, virtually unlimited Legos, being able to move and place the virtual blocks with your hands.
Would feel too fake imo to be anything special. Needs finger tracking and some physical feedback so you can have that satisfying snap as parts pop into place.

the-pi-guy

Would feel too fake imo to be anything special. Needs finger tracking and some physical feedback so you can have that satisfying snap as parts pop into place.
It'd be far from perfect, but I still think there is a lot of potential.

On Minecraft, the game is almost too immersive.  I'll sit down for "20 minutes", and before I know it, it's been an hour and a half.  

the-pi-guy

Next five years:

1) Universal solution for vestibulo-oculular mismatch in virtual reality

2) Superhuman sensory perception/reaction for a handful of people

3) Predictive analytics indistinguishable from time travel in some cases

4) VTOL air taxis

5) 0 to 60 in 0.8 seconds
Palmer Luckey tweeted this.

Go Up