2018 game of the year predictions, will God of War stay on top?

Started by Legend, Apr 29, 2018, 07:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

At this point GOW has a really strong lead. Do you expect any game to come along and steal the crown?

Red Dead Redemption seems like it has a shot. Same with Bethesda's space game if it really releases this year. Nintendo has Super Smash Bros but without reinventing the franchise like they did with Mario and Zelda, I don't think it'll win that many goty awards.

Personally I'm not excited for RDR2 that much and I've lost faith in Rockstar but it'll very likely get crazy reviews and be near GOW so I don't feel confident predicting one or the other yet. Bethesda's space game hasn't even been revealed so it's hard to predict but if the nail the game and avoid the Fallout 4 problems, it could beat GOW imo.

the-pi-guy

RDR2 will probably get a 95 or something.  

Smash Bros will probably get around a 92.

No idea about Bethesda's game.  Could very well be mid 90's, or just upper 80's probably.

Dr. Pezus

Rockstar is always a safe bet for 95+.

Still expect GoW to sweep up a lot of awards

BananaKing

I think this E3 might bring a few surprises. So this question is better asked after E3. Bathesda did seem to hint that like last E3, the games they will show this years E3 the games will be released in the same year. And a new IP from bathesda can make a lot of fans roar in excitement.

Maybe From Software will release their teased game this year as well?

However I think RDR2 will be a smash hit commercially and critically. And it will between it and GoW with RDR2 taking more GOTY awards. Unless rumors of bathesdas new IP are real and it's awesome. Then it will be a three way battle with rdr winning and GoW being third.

the-pi-guy

From Software might be a good bet.  They put stuff out fast, but I doubt they'll reach GoW.  

Legend

Heh, similar thread on resetera was just made

With God of War now in the lead, what viable contenders remain this year? | ResetEra

I was thinking, GoW is clearly ahead of the pack for the goty, what games do you think could upset this? The only other game that's coming out this year that I think stands a chance is red dead redemption 2. Thoughts?  

the-pi-guy

Spiderman might make it, if they really pull it off.  

Xevross

Its hard to say. RDR2 will obviously be a contender, as will a big Nintendo game (be it Smash.. or whatever is the best received Ninty game).

MH:W and Celeste have great reviews too, so they might get a few each but I'd be quite surprised. Bethesda probably won't win much, unless they improve dramatically. I just think their game will be a straight up downgrade from RDR2. Or maybe I'm just biased because I don't like Bethesda games.

the-pi-guy

Its hard to say. RDR2 will obviously be a contender, as will a big Nintendo game (be it Smash.. or whatever is the best received Ninty game).

MH:W and Celeste have great reviews too, so they might get a few each but I'd be quite surprised. Bethesda probably won't win much, unless they improve dramatically. I just think their game will be a straight up downgrade from RDR2. Or maybe I'm just biased because I don't like Bethesda games.
A little bit of both. 
Skyrim was very well received.  It has a 96 on the Xbox version.

If you like what they have to offer, they are fantastic games. But they are games that pretty much have more potential than actual successes. 

Xevross

A little bit of both. 
Skyrim was very well received.  It has a 96 on the Xbox version.

If you like what they have to offer, they are fantastic games. But they are games that pretty much have more potential than actual successes. 
Yeah Skyrim was the big winner of 2011, but Fallout 4 lost by a considerable margin to The Witcher 3. I think this'll be similar. RDR2 will just easily beat whatever Bethesda have to offer, unless they absolutely nail it.

the-pi-guy

Yeah Skyrim was the big winner of 2011, but Fallout 4 lost by a considerable margin to The Witcher 3. I think this'll be similar. RDR2 will just easily beat whatever Bethesda have to offer, unless they absolutely nail it.
That's why I said both.  They need to make some improvements.