Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

"Did you know: The Sun is the brightest star by apparent visual magnitude (V = −26.74). wikipedia.org"

Who'd a thunk it?  Thanks Google.

Legend

"Did you know: The Sun is the brightest star by apparent visual magnitude (V = −26.74). wikipedia.org"

Who'd a thunk it?  Thanks Google.
Well most people don't even know the sun is star so...

the-pi-guy

Well most people don't even know the sun is star so...
Good point....  
People, I tell ya'.

Legend

Legend

the-pi-guy

Doing math in math class:
"huh?  You can't just assume 2+2=4.  You have to show that it's true, first!"

Doing math in Physics class:
"You should have assumed that f(x) has the following form, to show that [f(x),Af(x)] is equal to [Af(x),f(x)]"

Xevross

Doing math in math class:
"huh?  You can't just assume 2+2=4.  You have to show that it's true, first!"

Doing math in Physics class:
"You should have assumed that f(x) has the following form, to show that [f(x),Af(x)] is equal to [Af(x),f(x)]"
Which is why pure maths is dumb.

the-pi-guy

I like pure math.   :(

Xevross

We can't be friends anymore

the-pi-guy

We can't be friends anymore
That's because we're best friends.  :P

Legend

I love the puzzle of it. It's really fun developing your own solutions and methods (even if they were already discovered hundreds of years ago)

Lots of people make it dumb but the concept is awesome!

Xevross

I love the puzzle of it. It's really fun developing your own solutions and methods (even if they were already discovered hundreds of years ago)
Lots of people make it dumb but the concept is awesome!
Nope. Why try and prove something which everyone knows is true already, and has been proven by other people before in the same/ different ways. Its a complete waste of time. Its only useful if its proving/ discovering something new, but I doubt that's ever going to happen again with pure maths, for anything really significant anyway.

the-pi-guy

There's all kinds of puzzles, and weird patterns. And you have to solve the puzzle of why those patterns exist.
Plus, you can build stuff!  

Nope. Why try and prove something which everyone knows is true already, and has been proven by other people before in the same/ different ways. Its a complete waste of time. Its only useful if its proving/ discovering something new, but I doubt that's ever going to happen again with pure maths, for anything really significant anyway.
craziest-things-ever-said-to-bosses-6

For realsies, there's a lot of big new math discoveries!  Fermat's last theorem was only discovered in 1994.  The poincare' conjecture was also proven in 2006.

There are lots of big math problems like Riemann's hypothesis, P vs NP, etc; that still need solving.  

Math is all about puzzles.  Some of those puzzles have huge implications for things like physics, computer science.  Some of them are just interesting in their own right.  

Some of them are interesting in their own right, then 50 years later we find out they have applications in other fields.  

Making connections is fun, regardless of who did it before you.  

Xevross

There's all kinds of puzzles, and weird patterns. And you have to solve the puzzle of why those patterns exist.
Plus, you can build stuff!  
craziest-things-ever-said-to-bosses-6

For realsies, there's a lot of big new math discoveries!  Fermat's last theorem was only discovered in 1994.  The poincare' conjecture was also proven in 2006.

There are lots of big math problems like Riemann's hypothesis, P vs NP, etc; that still need solving.  

Math is all about puzzles.  Some of those puzzles have huge implications for things like physics, computer science.  Some of them are just interesting in their own right.  

Some of them are interesting in their own right, then 50 years later we find out they have applications in other fields.  

Making connections is fun, regardless of who did it before you.  
Yeah I know that a lot of it is useful, but I'm talking more about university / college level stuff than cutting edge research.

I just don't like it at all, and its extremely far from being fun.

the-pi-guy

Yeah I know that a lot of it is useful, but I'm talking more about university / college level stuff than cutting edge research.
Well, at that level, the fun is more about the beauty of math.  And seeing how stuff fits together.  

I just don't like it at all, and its extremely far from being fun.
Well, I don't think you've even really done any math I'd consider fun anyways.  

Go Up