Rise of the Tomb Raider FAQ (Shocking News)

Started by ethomaz, Aug 23, 2014, 01:05 AM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

Aug 23, 2014, 01:05 AM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2014, 01:09 AM by ethomaz
What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren't discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message, we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.

Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course.  We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

Why didn't Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn't intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/95495143805/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-faq

Misterxmedia is crying today :( no more DX12 Raytracing Halo 5 engine in Tomb Raider.

the-pi-guy

No denial for a PS4/PC versions? 
CONFIRMED!!

ethomaz

No denial for a PS4/PC versions? 
CONFIRMED!!

Seems like the deal is only for Holidays 2015... I think PS4/PC/PS3 version will be out in H1 2016.

The sad part is that it is a Cross-gen game in late 2015.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

I wanted to share this.

ethomaz

Aug 23, 2014, 01:23 AM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2014, 01:26 AM by Legend

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

Legend

Why didn't Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn't intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details

Says that after still not really going into the details that matter lol.

I wanted to share this.

Phil said Microsoft is helping develop the Microsoft versions. They didn't lie.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

ethomaz

Phil said Microsoft is helping develop the Microsoft versions. They didn't lie.

He said marketing, no?

Legend

Oh.

Probably just the standard thing of "here's the dev kit documentation" though.

He said marketing, no?

Both, but see above. They certainly haven't said they have a studio or devs helping.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

So how are my arguing skills?

darkknightkryta

I like that person arguing that the game wouldn't be made without MS, yet unless MS pays the entire sum of 100 million (This includes marketing) the game isn't gonna make money regardless.  Though in a way I hope MS spent that much and keep on spending that much.  The more money they burn through without return the faster the division gets axed.

Raven

The end of story is the fact that the exclusivity is of a limited duration. Unlike Ryse and Dead Rising 3, this has been established since very shortly after announcement. The games I mentioned were declared completely exclusive. Funny enough, despite that declaration they ended up on the PC anyways. Microsoft is not actually publishing the game which means their rights to the title are likely nowhere near as robust as, say, Ryse. Their involvement in the project is likely little more than some financial assistance as well as a team to make sure the game runs as well as it possibly can on Xbox platforms. The fact that both parties have focused on declaring the game exclusive for "Holiday 2015" to Xbox should be a clear signal that the game will release not long after on other platforms including PS4. Else why not simply use the same language they did with Dead Rising 3 and Ryse? Both games were declared as completely exclusive and then ended up on PC. Sounds to me like if Rise of the Tomb Raider was only possibly releasing on PC a good while after they would have simply said "completely exclusive" and mentioned no particular timeframe.

Dr. Pezus

How anyone can believe with a straight face that this game won't come to PS4 is beyond me.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

How anyone can believe with a straight face that this game won't come to PS4 is beyond me.

The guy I was talking to.