OpenGL will be considered depreciated for macOS 10.14, still won't support Vulkan.

Started by Legend, Jun 05, 2018, 03:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

OpenGL will be considered depreciated for macOS 10.14, still won't support Vulkan. | ResetEra

Goody goody gumdrops.

To clarify, all the OpenGL based games won't break immediately when Apple releases this update, but it is official confirmation that when they do, they aren't going to fix it. Additionally, they're supporting exclusively Metal, which means that developers are either going to have to extensively re-write their games, try to get MoltenVK to work with a Vulkan build, or (most likely outcome) not bother with Macs at all.

(alternative link here, at the bottom.)  
I know Elite is dropping Mac because of this. Wouldn't be suprised if a lot of other games have/are too. Apple is crazy stupid with this and just screwing over their own users.

Xevross

I know Elite is dropping Mac because of this. Wouldn't be suprised if a lot of other games have/are too. Apple is crazy stupid with this and just screwing over their own users.
I think its less being stupid and more being extremely greedy. Always has been with Apple, they'll never change. Its why I'll never touch any of their products.

the-pi-guy

I think its less being stupid and more being extremely greedy. Always has been with Apple, they'll never change. Its why I'll never touch any of their products.
But its a greediness that makes them lose.