MCV: New Boss of Microsoft Studios on Xbox's First Party Strategy

Started by Legend, Jun 03, 2018, 11:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

MCV: New Boss of Microsoft Studios on Xbox's First Party Strategy | ResetEra

"There will always be single-player games with maybe 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, we love those kinds of games and there's a place for those, but it's also certainly the case with the focus on watching, streaming, broadcast and esports that it's really important to think about the longevity of a game," Booty explains.

"It's really difficult for anybody to think about making a large scale triple-A game these days without having in mind a content and service plan that goes one to two years into the future out of the gate."

"Games really have become much more social, much more mainstream, much more widespread. We know that the games industry is growing, and that's taking nothing away from what you call the 'single-player, narrative, cinematic game' but we see a lot of interest from our players in more community-driven ongoing franchises. I think that is in alignment with a lot of the trends we see in gaming overall."

"With games being as large as they are, with the move to games as an ongoing service...It is difficult to pivot quickly and try to chase after trends that might happen even on the scale of a year. In business terms a year can be a long time, but development time being three to four years these days, that's the span we need to think about."

"We've got to get our strategic long-term bets, our game development cycles and the things our players like to do in sync. And that will set us up for success".

https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/mcv936_june  

Legend

Guess they are sticking with their current GaaS route.

SWORDF1SH

They really sugar coated their direction with games with those comments.

the-pi-guy

Ugh.  
Please bring back single player!  

Xevross

Ugh.  
Please bring back single player!  
Nah, they don't have the quality studios needed to make good single player. They can stick to their GaaS!

Legend

Nah, they don't have the quality studios needed to make good single player. They can stick to their GaaS!
Well they're not that good with GaaS either. Halo 5 MP is the only one that has had any staying power I believe.

Xevross

Well they're not that good with GaaS either. Halo 5 MP is the only one that has had any staying power I believe.
You're right. They should just channel all their resources into Minecraft 2.

Dr. Pezus

New boss??

Coming for that booty

Kerotan

Didn't even bother reading that pr crud. Micro have been a dud this gen with first party single player games. I'll believe it when I see it

Legend

Didn't even bother reading that pr crud. Micro have been a dud this gen with first party single player games. I'll believe it when I see it
Haha I can tell you didn't read it.

Article doesn't say they're focusing or investing in single player. If anything it's going counter to that and saying MS will focus on what they have been doing for the past few years, but just getting better at it.