PUBG takes US game firm (Epic Games) to court

Started by Legend, May 29, 2018, 03:44 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

PUBG takes US game firm (Epic Games) to court | ResetEra

Seems like they still intend to do this.https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2018/05/134_249598.html
Korean game developer PUBG, a subsidiary of Bluehole, has filed a copyright violation lawsuit against U.S.-based Epic Games, asking a court to determine whether the latter's "Fortnite" was copied from the former's "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds." A PUBG official said Friday that the firm filed an injunction, alleging copyright infringement, with the Seoul Central District Court against Epic Games Korea. "We filed the suit to protect our copyright in January," said the official.Click to expand...
When the controversy flared in September, Bluehole said in a statement that the firm was mulling ways on how to respond to the claims that core elements and UI of the Battle Royale mode of "Fortnite" seemed to be similar to those of Battlegrounds.Click to expand...
Epic Games is currently preparing to make a foray into the Korean market in cooperation with Neowiz Games as the two firms signed an agreement in January to release "Fortnite" in so-called PC rooms here within the second quarter.Click to expand...
Thought they would have backed off but guess not. If there was a thread about this most recent update, you can close but searching didn't find anything.  

Legend

Guess it's officially happening

DD_Bwest

they really dont have a leg to stand on..  this isnt going to go far at all..

cant wait until my Favorite copyright attorney goes over the filings.  should be a good video

Legend

they really dont have a leg to stand on..  this isnt going to go far at all..

cant wait until my Favorite copyright attorney goes over the filings.  should be a good video
You have a favorite copyright attorney?

Tachikoma

He likely means Leonard French.

Legend

He likely means Leonard French.
I'll need to watch some of their videos. Looks like the type of channel I'd be interested in. Thanks.

DD_Bwest

There is a youtuber called Leonard French,   calls himself everyone favorite copyright attorney and likes to go over filings for copyright cases.  covers alot of fair use stuff and video game lawsuits,   he has already touched on this before, hes bound to do a followup now.

Dr. Pezus

This isn't going to go the way you think

Kerotan

Pubg are sore Losers

BananaKing

Lol. I hope bluehole loose and this causes a lot of bad rep for them

the-pi-guy

Because PUBG is revolutionary, they must have stolen it!  /s

This is stupid. 

Xevross

Oh dear oh dear. These guys don't know when to stop, they're causing themselves more damage here.

They'll lose, this is like nintendo trying to sue anyone who does 2d platforming. You can't just copyright a type of game, or gameplay.

Legend

Oh dear oh dear. These guys don't know when to stop, they're causing themselves more damage here.

They'll lose, this is like nintendo trying to sue anyone who does 2d platforming. You can't just copyright a type of game, or gameplay.
Plus there is the unlikely possibility that Epic countersues and takes their game engine away from PUBG. I don't think this makes any sense unless Blue Hole is very confident they'll win.

the-pi-guy

Plus there is the unlikely possibility that Epic countersues and takes their game engine away from PUBG. I don't think this makes any sense unless Blue Hole is very confident they'll win.
PUBG uses unreal?
Wowza .

Xevross

Even if they do win, the community will probably see them as the bad guys. This is just a completely negative move. Even though they made a lot of money off PUBG, they're still desperate and clueless. I'm glad I never touched their game, and I never will.