Introducing the Mike Armbrust Octahedral Mixup Magic Cube

Started by Legend, Nov 23, 2017, 05:04 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Mike Armbrust Octahedral Mixup Magic Cube_WE Octahedral Mixup_Magic Cube_WitEden's Magic Shop(Magic Cube,Magic,Sudoku)

I first invented this puzzle in 2011 and sold hand made versions. Certainly never expected to see it mass produced!!!

The puzzle is made by WitEden. I've yet to receive my copies so I can't vouch for its quality. Also I opted to not receive royalties so don't buy as a way to donate to me  ::)

For fun, here is a render of my original design:

The pieces were arranged as densely as possible to decrease the 3D printing cost.

darkknightkryta

But how does it work?

Dr. Pezus

Also I opted to not receive royalties so don't buy as a way to donate to me  ::)
Butwai

Legend

But how does it work?

You twist it.

Or do you mean mechanically?

It has a rubik's cube like center:

Except one corner and the surrounding pieces are fused together like:

Also it's a sphere like this, not a cube:

Then the eight corners are extended into the four triangle face pieces you see on the final puzzle and in this render:

Then these triangle pieces hold the center edge pieces in place. Those hold the winglets (little pieces next to the center edge pieces) in place. Then those hold the pointy center pieces in place. During a scramble, the pointy pieces and the edge pieces can swap positions with each other.
Butwai
Because there was a very real chance I wouldn't get them anyway. International business deals are hard and expensive to enforce.

Legend

My copies arrived!!!

I often forget how small my original design is  ::)

Puzzles turn extremely well! One copy catches a bit with the internal 2x2x2 but that's the only non positive thing I can say about their quality.

SWORDF1SH

My copies arrived!!!

I often forget how small my original design is  ::)

Puzzles turn extremely well! One copy catches a bit with the internal 2x2x2 but that's the only non positive thing I can say about their quality.
Nevermind the puzzle. That's one sexy dog tartan patterened Christmas cloth.

Legend

Nevermind the puzzle. That's one sexy dog tartan patterened Christmas cloth.
Here are more pics of the Christmas cloth:

SWORDF1SH

Here are more pics of the Christmas cloth:

Lol!
On a serious note, the MAOMMC looks awesome.

Legend

Lol!
On a serious note, the MAOMMC looks awesome.
Thanks! In another life, I definitely ended up a mechanical engineer and made puzzles professionally. I loved it.

Xevross

Wow that is an insane puzzle. I think I'd need to see one and use one in person to fully understand it :o

Spoiler for Hidden:
Or maybe just not on the brink of falling asleep

the-pi-guy

Puzzles are my one weakness.