Destiny 2 Review Thread: 85 OC (62 Reviews) 86 MC (58 Reviews)

Started by ethomaz, Sep 05, 2017, 10:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I reached the level cap.

84 seems fair. I love the gameplay and it's really really fun, but it's hard to judge. Bungie basically invented their own genre with the first Destiny and this one is a 10/10 for that genre.

darkknightkryta

I reached the level cap.

84 seems fair. I love the gameplay and it's really really fun, but it's hard to judge. Bungie basically invented their own genre with the first Destiny and this one is a 10/10 for that genre.
Bungie invented hub based MMORPGs and not Blizzard?

Xevross

I reached the level cap.

Own genre, what? What is this genre? It wasn't much different to a lot of games out there to me.

ethomaz

Well the only game Destiny-like until now is Division... the next one the Anthem.

While Destiny didn't create a new genre it is indeed unique enough to be a sub-genre that others wants so hard to copy.

Legend

Destiny is like a single player game that takes place in a multiplayer world. It has similar elements to MMOs, but it's hardly the same type of game. It's drop in drop out co-op that's seamless.

Basically Bungie really loved the sandbox gameplay in parts of the Halo games and they expanded that concept into a whole game.

Well the only game Destiny-like until now is Division... the next one the Anthem.

While Destiny didn't create a new genre it is indeed unique enough to be a sub-genre that others wants so hard to copy.
I think "Destiny-like" games will continue to release for the foreseeable future. It's a smart blend between open world single player games and MMOs.

ethomaz

I think "Destiny-like" games will continue to release for the foreseeable future. It's a smart blend between open world single player games and MMOs.
Every major publisher wants it own Destiny.

darkknightkryta

Destiny is like a single player game that takes place in a multiplayer world. It has similar elements to MMOs, but it's hardly the same type of game. It's drop in drop out co-op that's seamless.

Basically Bungie really loved the sandbox gameplay in parts of the Halo games and they expanded that concept into a whole game.

It is the same type of game though.  Just in first person and with a gun.  The first Guild Wars would play identical if it was in first person and had guns.  They innovated the shooter genre for sure, but it's not its own genre.  A sub genre maybe.

Legend

It is the same type of game though.  Just in first person and with a gun.  The first Guild Wars would play identical if it was in first person and had guns.  They innovated the shooter genre for sure, but it's not its own genre.  A sub genre maybe.
I've never looked into Guild Wars but that's still an MMO. I don't consider Destiny its own genre or sub genre because it's an FPS, but because it uses the game world as a sort of multiplayer matchmaking. It's practically a huge skeuomorphic menu system.

darkknightkryta

I've never looked into Guild Wars but that's still an MMO. I don't consider Destiny its own genre or sub genre because it's an FPS, but because it uses the game world as a sort of multiplayer matchmaking. It's practically a huge skeuomorphic menu system.
Destiny is more or less an MMORPG in the same vein of Diablo.  It's that genre.  Just with first person guns instead of top down magic.  Or in more modern cases, third person magic.

Kerotan

I believe so.

I'm expecting 500k for UK retail.
So did it open below what you expect?  
Btw isn't warframe similar to Destiny?

ethomaz

Way way way way lower than what I expected.

Unless Warframe changed since 2014... not... they are not similar.

Legend

Yeah warframe is similar. It has changed a lot since 2014 and is adding an open world map like Destiny in the next few weeks.

ethomaz

Yeah warframe is similar. It has changed a lot since 2014 and is adding an open world map like Destiny in the next few weeks.
So they are trying to be Destiny-like now?

Don't take me wrong... at launch I played over 500 hours of Warframe on my PS4 until Destiny.... it at time aren't similar.... I really enjoyed Warframe (there are some weird battle minigame that you need to create a bridge in your clan to fight others when I left).

Legend

So they are trying to be Destiny-like now?

Don't take me wrong... at launch I played over 500 hours of Warframe on my PS4 until Destiny.... it at time aren't similar.... I really enjoyed Warframe (there are some weird battle minigame that you need to create a bridge in your clan to fight others when I left).
I think they've always had the goal of expanding in this direction, but they do seem to be taking some influences from Destiny.

NeverDies

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Go Up