Sony bringing back Crash Bandicoot?

Started by Aura7541, Feb 14, 2016, 05:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Aura7541

Sony is bringing back Crash Bandicoot, says NECA director of product development - Gematsu

Randy Falk, director of product development at National Entertainment Collectibles Assocation (NECA) had this to say in regards to Crash Bandicoot:

Yeah, that's one we wanted to do way back when, and finally, we've been able to get back in with Sony and get some of that stuff out. And looking at some of their other titles, I see they're bringing Crash Bandicoot back, which is really cool. There's some great stuff there.
Gematsu also recapped the several hints that may point to Sony resurrecting Crash:

• Before PlayStation 4 launched, Sony released a trailer featuring subtle imagery that suggested Crash Bandicoot had returned to the company. The same trailer featured a Street Fighter Haduoken cab service, and both Ultra Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V were announced for PlayStation 4 a year later.
  • Robomodo has asked Activision if it could include Crash Bandicoot in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, but were denied. On Twitter, the company said it was not Activision's fault, and that it was a combination of timing and rights, so it "wasn't much of a discussion."
  • At PlayStation Experience 2015 in December, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Shawn Layden wore a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt with a PlayStation logo on the sleeve (pictured). He similarly wore a Vib Ribbon button-down for Sony Computer Entertainment America's ice bucket challenge video, and Vib Ribbon was released on PlayStation Network a few months later.
  • The official PlayStation Middle East Twitter account has on and off teased Crash Bandicoot.
  • If you're a fan of NeoGAF insiders, it's apparently happening, according to at least one well-trusted forum member.

the-pi-guy

Honestly I'm hoping so.  :P

Sony teasing the game would really be messed up if nothing came of it.  

DerNebel

Honestly I'm hoping so.  :P

Sony teasing the game would really be messed up if nothing came of it.  
Yeah, with the way things are ramping up at the moment they'd probably be wise to come out and make a statement, if there really is no Crash happening, cause the way things are developing right now, this could turn into people pretty much fully expecting a Crash game at E3, which could turn into a serious backlash if there is no such project announced.

But yeah a new Crash would be so interesting to witness.

the-pi-guy

Yeah, with the way things are ramping up at the moment they'd probably be wise to come out and make a statement, if there really is no Crash happening, cause the way things are developing right now, this could turn into people pretty much fully expecting a Crash game at E3, which could turn into a serious backlash if there is no such project announced.
I almost feel like the opposite.  
If they don't announce anything, people will be disappointed, but they can think in the back of their mind, if it's coming, they are working on it.  

If they say, "sorry no crash." That to me is a big F U, after Shawn Layden was wearing a crash shirt on stage.  

Raven

There are some other things that make me believe Activision doesn't own the rights anymore. They removed all mentions of Crash from their website a while back. They did NOT use him in their Skylanders games but they DID use Spyro. One would think that if you're going to use old mascot characters like that, you'd use both of them. Not just one. Something tells me that they couldn't. The last Crash game to release on consoles was in 2008. That was 8 years ago. Two mobile games followed in 2009 and 2010 but both were limited to only certain OS devices. Activision WAS working on two more Crash console games after the last one in 2008 but both of them were cancelled in February 2010. Why? Why were BOTH games cancelled? There's also the plain and simple fact that none of the publishers who oversaw the development of Crash titles after Naughty Dog stopped working on them were ever able to see the same success. Pretty much all of the post-ND Crash titles were met with mediocre, sometimes negative, reactions from fans and critics. Activision has also jumped in bed with Sony this generation and I'm pretty sure that if Sony asked to buy back a franchise Activision has had no luck with and stopped all development on 6 years ago, they would actually lose out by saying "no".

DerNebel

I almost feel like the opposite.  
If they don't announce anything, people will be disappointed, but they can think in the back of their mind, if it's coming, they are working on it.  

If they say, "sorry no crash." That to me is a big F U, after Shawn Layden was wearing a crash shirt on stage.  
Lol, true but wouldn't that just postpone the inevitable? At one point people are going to realize that there is no Crash game being worked on and then they'll be mad anyway. Might as well get that out of the way quickly before it gets out of hand.

Legend

Feels just like battletoads teasing.

It's not happening.

the-pi-guy

It's not happening.
Low expectations, good man.  

This is way more hinty though.  

BananaKing

who is the insider that said its happening?

also, i honestly dont care much. and i hope if it is true, that it isnt their "big E3 reveal". what i want from Sony's E3 this year is at least 3 of the following

SSM's PS4 game (most likely GoW). its about fudgy time they show it.
Sony bends new IP (again, about fudgy time they show it)
Infamous 4 or what ever its gonna be called. it would be 2 years and 3 months since infamous second son.
Bloodborne 2. just shut up, i want this.

the-pi-guy

also, i honestly dont care much. and i hope if it is true, that it isnt their "big E3 reveal". what i want from Sony's E3 this year is at least 3 of the following

Infamous 4 or what ever its gonna be called. it would be 2 years and 3 months since infamous second son.
BruceLeeRoy Teases Crash Bandicoot's Return to PlayStation

DerNebel

I think most of those will happen this year. Though Sucker Punch might be working on a new IP and I think Sony/From should wait a little longer to unveil whatever their next PS4 exclusive is unless it's really not like the Souls series/Bloodborne. They're running the risk of oversaturating the market here. If I were them I'd go for an E3 2017 reveal and a late 2017 release, From Software games don't need a long marketing cycle anyway.

BananaKing

I think most of those will happen this year. Though Sucker Punch might be working on a new IP and I think Sony/From should wait a little longer to unveil whatever their next PS4 exclusive is unless it's really not like the Souls series/Bloodborne. They're running the risk of oversaturating the market here. If I were them I'd go for an E3 2017 reveal and a late 2017 release, From Software games don't need a long marketing cycle anyway.
with the hype for DS3 not being as strong as it was for other From software games that released recently (specifically DS2 and BB). i agree. but fudge, i just want another BB.

i just hope that if they do make a new IP, it caters to western audiences like BB does.

Aura7541

It's not happening.
I would also take this news with low expectations, though it would be awesome if Sony indeed has gotten the rights back to Crash.

BasilZero

Would be cool ;o

Aura7541

Quote from: From Gematsu
Update: A representative for NECA told GameSpot that the comment was made in error.

"It's not the case," the rep said. "Someone has misunderstood a comment he made. Randy saw a faked fan-made image right before he came to the show and said that if the game were coming back, we'd love to do figures."
And so, the dream is dead.