Digital Foundry Face-Off @ Performance Analysis (Latest: DriveClub Preview 2)

Started by ethomaz, May 28, 2014, 04:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ethomaz

I was joking. I was pretending to be an Xbox fan who was using battleship screenshots to prove the X1 version was better. I can't remember which site it was but they tried to pull that.

:P

To be fair this game runs great in both consoles... the differences are minor in PS4 favor.

BTW Mario Kart 8 Wii U version is the best one :D

Raven

:P

To be fair this game runs great in both consoles... the differences are minor in PS4 favor.

BTW Mario Kart 8 Wii U version is the best one :D

LOL Yes. The Wii U clearly has the superior versions of their exclusives. Why did I even buy a PS4? :(

Yeah they look identical. Just the minor differences people should be expecting in nearly every multiplatform game but for some reason we have to keep doing this because certain people don't want to let it go. My god there are still some who believe in secret sauce, cloud power, and a new API that magically changes everything while Sony sits on its hands.

ethomaz

LOL Yes. The Wii U clearly has the superior versions of their exclusives. Why did I even buy a PS4? :(

Yeah they look identical. Just the minor differences people should be expecting in nearly every multiplatform game but for some reason we have to keep doing this because certain people don't want to let it go. My god there are still some who believe in secret sauce, cloud power, and a new API that magically changes everything while Sony sits on its hands.

This is funny sometimes... people thinks that magical sources can make a physical weaker hardware stronger... MS made their choices... Sony made their choices... the final hardware have a power gap and that can't be changed until a new generation (new hardware).

API will change in both consoles for better.

Cloud is useful but not for graphics, framerate or anything else... Cloud is just a business model that make the share of dedicated servers cheaper and scalable but you won't render graphics ever.

Raven

This is funny sometimes... people thinks that magical sources can make a physical weaker hardware stronger... MS made their choices... Sony made their choices... the final hardware have a power gap and that can't be changed until a new generation (new hardware).

API will change in both consoles for better.

I tried explaining it to someone on VGC who eventually understood but it was still perplexing how they thought otherwise. I explained that the consoles are limited by their hardware. The performance ceiling of both is set in stone. There is nothing that will change it. A better API will simply allow developers to max the hardware faster. Not surpass hardware limitations. So even if an API came out that somehow gave the X1 a sudden advantage it wouldn't last long because it would just mean accelerating to that brick wall while the PS4 surpasses it. It's also the reason why multiplatform games will eventually have a bigger gap two years from now than they currently do. Because the games will tax X1 hardware while the PS4 will still have room to improve.

ethomaz

I tried explaining it to someone on VGC who eventually understood but it was still perplexing how they thought otherwise. I explained that the consoles are limited by their hardware. The performance ceiling of both is set in stone. There is nothing that will change it. A better API will simply allow developers to max the hardware faster. Not surpass hardware limitations. So even if an API came out that somehow gave the X1 a sudden advantage it wouldn't last long because it would just mean accelerating to that brick wall while the PS4 surpasses it. It's also the reason why multiplatform games will eventually have a bigger gap two years from now than they currently do. Because the games will tax X1 hardware while the PS4 will still have room to improve.

It is comprehensive that some things that the API will change the situation because they saw the PS3 having a hard time to match/catch the 360 performance in multiplatforms until the late in the gen when PS3 started to show some good multiplatform game even better than 360 version.

But the issue is different now... PS3 had a software issue... it was hard to developer, have a non-shared memory pool so devs needs to work to reach best performance and the hard coder Cell (not all devs used its SPUs)... so PS3 had a issue that you can work hard to improve it... Xbox One have a physical issue here that even working hard won't change because it is physical.

I will give a example with Tennis (table tennis to be fair)...

My brother was really good at table tennis but he broke his arm and can't play for some months with his right hand (his best)... so he started to play with the left hand (the bad one) until became good and even surpass the right hand... the funny thing is that today he is better with the left one than the right one and he can play fine with both... this is the PS3 case.

Now for Xbox One think if my brother had lost the some movements of the left hand... he could worked hard, train a lot, play a lot and because some physical limitation he will never make the left hand play like the right one because in this case the left hand is physically limited compared with the right one... in my previous example (real life example) the left hand was just hard (more time and work) to became better than the right hand... no physical limitation... it was just more hard to work/train the left than the right.

;)

Raven

It is comprehensive that some things that the API will change the situation because they saw the PS3 having a hard time to match/catch the 360 performance in multiplatforms until the late in the gen when PS3 started to show some good multiplatform game even better than 360 version.

But the issue is different now... PS3 had a software issue... it was hard to developer, have a non-shared memory pool so devs needs to work to reach best performance and the hard coder Cell (not all devs used its SPUs)... so PS3 had a issue that you can work hard to improve it... Xbox One have a physical issue here that even working hard won't change because it is physical.

I will give a example with Tennis (table tennis to be fair)...

My brother was really good at table tennis but he broke his arm and can't play for some months with his right hand (his best)... so he started to play with the left hand (the bad one) until became good and even surpass the right hand... the funny thing is that today he is better with the left one than the right one and he can play fine with both... this is the PS3 case.

Now for Xbox One think if my brother had lost the some movements of the left hand... he could worked hard, train a lot, play a lot and because some physical limitation he will never make the left hand play like the right one because in this case the left hand is physically limited compared with the right one... in my previous example (real life example) the left hand was just hard (more time and work) to became better than the right hand... no physical limitation... it was just more hard to work/train the left than the right.

;)

Yet people still make themselves intentionally ignorant to it. I can't be the only one who remembers the comments made by Xbox fans about how the X1 was going to be superior and how that mattered. Then they started crying that it doesn't matter when they found out the opposite was true. However, they look for every chance they get to say the X1 will surpass the PS4 or somehow has. It really must be some kind of mental illness these people carry.

People are completely delusional. 

Why, look at this guy. 

Wii U version is best. 

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Raven

ethomaz

the-pi-guy

ethomaz

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-dogs-face-off

Watch Dogs Face-Off baby.

The overall perception we get here is that Ubisoft targeted its optimisation efforts for PS4, scaled back the engine proportionately for Xbox One and wasn't quite so focused on hitting that 30fps target there. The overall effect is of a title that has a reassuring level of solidity on PS4, and while still fine overall, just feels a little more wobbly on the Microsoft console.

ethomaz

Face-Off: Child of Light (Thanks nbnt@GAF)

The topic of resolution is particularly interesting where PS4 and Xbox One are concerned. Child of Light provides us with a crisp 1080p presentation, but some evidence suggests that elements of the presentation are derived from rendering at a much higher resolution and then down-sampling - a process known as super-sampling. The lack of long straight edges makes pixel counting difficult, but our analysis throws up two separate numbers for horizontal resolution - 2304 and 2112 were both extracted from the same scene - while vertical resolution is consistent at 1440. This isn't entirely confirmed, then - it may well be the case that a form of multi-sampling is in effect, but the edge-smoothing is quite unlike any other form of MSAA we've seen before.

It's with the PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 games that we see significant differences. Unlike the Rayman games, 1080p resolution is dropped in favour of a native 720p presentation that gives the game a softer appearance compared to the current generation and PC releases. The form of anti-aliasing is more difficult to pin down here, but we wouldn't be surprised to see super-sampling of some description utilised, bearing in mind that we know that the UbiArt engine is more than capable of sustaining 1080p60 on last-gen platforms. We're a little surprised that Ubisoft elected to use this technique instead of the native 1080p approach found in Rayman Legends that worked so well.

For the most part the same high standards are also in place on the Xbox One release, but there are moments where the engine falters, resulting in brief drops in smoothness and some mild - but noticeable - stuttering. The relative rarity of these inconsistencies mean they have no adverse impact on gameplay throughout most of the experience - at worse we looking at drops down to around the 52fps mark, but usually the impact on performance is much smaller and often goes by undetected when immersed in exploring the beautiful watercolour world on offer.

The last-generation versions put in a slightly more stable performance compared to the Xbox One where frame-rates are concerned, although all three platforms narrowly miss out on a solid 60fps update by one or two frames from time to time. Due to the small nature of these drops the impact on gameplay is non-existent, and for the most part they go by undetected.

Overall, this is a fascinating game with a unique charm that manages to work its magic across all platforms, but for stability and consistency the PS4 version gets the nod on console, while the PC version is certainly worthy of consideration if you don't own Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo hardware.

Sumary

PS4
1440p @ 60fps (dynamic horizontal resolution)
Unknown AA

Xbox One
1440p @ 60fps (dynamic horizontal resolution)
Unknown AA
Few framerate issues (52fps at worst)

PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360
1280x720p @ 60fps
Unknown AA
Loss of details due upscale to 1080p and some AA blur

Dr. Pezus

ethomaz

1440p? Crazy

The consoles are down-sampling to 1080p... it is a teach used to have less aliasing... it is not a surprise because the game uses the same Rayman's engine that runs at 1080p@60fps on PS3/360.

The only surprise I found is that all versions are more smooth than the Xbox One holding solid 60fps... Xbox One have little drops.

Go Up