The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Yeah, why?
It kinda popped out of nowhere for me. (Like a year ago).
Was curious if others have.

Legend

Never heard of jackbox.

the-pi-guy

Never heard of jackbox.
It was really weird, because suddenly my sister and her family was playing.
And my wife's family started playing it at the same.  

Was wondering if there was some sort of popular game that I somehow never heard of.

It's pretty fun.  

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

nnodley

Does anybody on here do this sort of analysis on whether game worlds work or if they don't? When I play games, I have criteria I test them on: I call it the the reality check. - NeoGAF

First off let me admit I am a geek, which I am sure is known to many and will certainly be evident after reading this thread.  Sure some of  you will be thinking "Well we are all on NeoGAF which makes a lot of us hardcore gamers which to most people would make us all geeks, right?" Up to a point sure. Me I have developed an admittedly obscure fascination with game worlds and I often explore them thoroughly to the point of obsession, putting them through what I refer to as the reality check. This usually involves a long exploration of any game location or building to determine if it would be able to perform the real world function required of it. I will meticulously go through a building noting the facilities it has on hand that are either unrealistic or absent and structural impossibilities (the Resident Evil series is a real doozy for impossible architecture). Also where possible I consider the exterior as well and match it against the criteria.  Thankfully while this can and does result in head scratchers it does not impact my enjoyment, for instance I am a massive fan of the aforementioned Resident Evil series. For instance here is a rather infamous example from the series - the Raccoon City police station has no toilets anywhere. Also the mansion from Resident Evil REMake (one of my favourite ever games) could not possibly accommodate all of the researchers and staff, it has far too few bedrooms and that dining room could only seat a dozen or so people at once during meal times. Recently I have been playing Deadly Premonition again (bring on the avatar quotes) I had initially resolved to play Yakuza 5 this Christmas but I reneged on this, I think my recent watching of Twin Peaks (no spoilers please, I still have a few episodes to go) had something to do with this choice. So I am still very early into the game but I have already scrutinised three prominent locations in the game and determined ways in which they pass or fail my examination. Great Deer Yard Hotel. A plausible enough location overall, it is massive but this is explained by the town once supporting a booming logging industry, meaning this large hotel is now largely empty.  Reasons why it fails. Redundant balcony in opening lobby, in the main lobby there is a staircase leading to a first floor (second floor to you US GAF) which leads up to balcony overlooking the area, it contains some display cases showcasing items from the past, strangely it does not lead off into other parts of the building with guests rooms. Although the space on the ground floor is fairly large and comparable with that of a big city hotel, this space stands out and not for good reasons.  If you go and seek out the suite Polly lives in it, it only contains a bedroom, a very large kitchen, it has no bathroom at all, not even an en suite.  Also weirdly guests can go straight through her area to a greenhouse area. I do not think many hotel owners would want guests milling through their private area in such an unrestricted manner, the routing makes no sense. If you venture outside there is a boathouse, but if you wander round the front and look in, there are no catwalks inside from which you could dismount your vessel and exit. Funnily enough the developer did have the foresight to include an exterior door, which makes this stand out even more. Also there is no back to the boathouse at all when you view the inside, just blackness. Greenvale Sheriff Department They almost had this perfect, I even like the personalisation of the office George has, but there are a few major flaws. No interrogation room, ok, so the Greenvale Sherriff Department wants to question someone, but where do they do it? There is no interrogation room and all the rooms are unsecured meaning a potential suspect could attempt to bolt the minute they are left unattended. Usually they are kept under surveillance until they are to be moved or released and in cases of violent crime, usually handcuffed to the table. No police line up possibility, we all know the setup, a group of people matching the description are rounded up and placed in a locked room with two way mirrors, the police bring in potential witnesses so they can ID the perpetrator without making themselves a target of possible revenge as the two way glass conceals their identity.  The firing range has no station for the range commander, usually there is a booth where the range commander oversees all things, they will check weapons in and out, dispense safety equipment like glasses and ear protection, they will also oversee general proceedings.  There is only one locker room, granted police departments on the whole tend to employ more males than females, but there is no separate locker room for female officers, even if Emily is the only woman on the force, she would not be expected to share a locker room with her male colleagues. This one is made even more obvious by the fact the department has separate toilet facilities for men and women.  Greenvale General Hospital So far the most complete location on the list, but it has two things one is more humorous and possibly unintentional. The first is that the signs in the hospital have been translated into English either very badly or very literally. Here is a good example. The meanings are easy enough to figure out, but this had me laughing for a second./ Anyway the main failing of this location is the complete lack of elevators, made even more fallacious by the fact that the first room you come across when entering the basement levels is a toilet, specifically a disabled toilet upon observing York even comments on how it will be extra roomy inside to accommodate wheelchair users. Also on this level are a few wards and the morgue, so unless hospital staff just carry the dead bodies and patients downstairs (I know of no hopsitals which operate in this manner.) This locations falls down pretty hard at this point, which is a shame because the ground floor level (again not the first floor Americans) is actually laid out in a reasonably realistic manner.   OK, time to draw a line under this. I wonder if any other gaffers do similar things to this? If not feel free to simply laugh at my very boring habits.

Honestly this is insane to me.  I absolutely do not even give this stuff a second thought.  I can recognize if something works better than something else, but if I analyzed everything like this I would never have any fun.  

Legend

Does anybody on here do this sort of analysis on whether game worlds work or if they don't? When I play games, I have criteria I test them on: I call it the the reality check. - NeoGAF

Honestly this is insane to me.  I absolutely do not even give this stuff a second thought.  I can recognize if something works better than something else, but if I analyzed everything like this I would never have any fun.  
I think about it passivly unless it's really bad.

Instead I mostly think about paths through linear games and if you're really moving about the larger world.

the-pi-guy

A giant wall of text, I was expecting something more substantial.  It seems like pretty basic stuff to me.  

Well.  Sometimes I think about stuff like that.  Other times I don't really think about it.  I never go out of my way to analyze things like he apparently does.  I make observations while playing.  I don't tend to let them bother me though.  Usually I get a kick out of things.    Like wow, this sign has awful English.  

Xevross

Bought Divinity: Orginal Sin 2 to play with a friend! I hope it lives up to its metascore.

With this and zelda yet to play this year, my GOTY pick isn't decided yet :o

darkknightkryta

Never heard of jackbox.
The image of the video made me think this was a GBA game.

nnodley

Xevross

That death stranding trailer is so weird, but I love it  :o

Legend

That death stranding trailer is so weird, but I love it  :o
It's incredible.

This game has had three full trailers and no one has any idea how its basic gameplay works. I love how it continues to defy expectations.

haroldperez

A new Batman trailer is being teased for tomorrow.

Go Up