The Sporty Sports Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 02, 2018, 07:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

Would be glorious if Iran beat Portugal, which I think they can if Portugal play like that again.

Dr. Pezus

Portugal look extremely poor. Any team with finishing quality could have thumped them today, I don't think other top teams should be worried about them
That's what I thought at the euros too. I think they just play to the level of the opponent, but have Ronaldo to save them

Xevross

That's what I thought at the euros too. I think they just play to the level of the opponent, but have Ronaldo to save them
No one performed at the Euros. Well no one is performing here either really...

darkknightkryta

Well Portugal only won the Euro because they changed the rules for them to stay in.  They needed to give something to Ronaldo.  Argentina was supposed to win World Cup last time too (To give something to Messi), but then Germany ended up winning throwing a wrench in Fifa's plan.  I think they'll try to give it to Argentina again.

Xevross

Well Portugal only won the Euro because they changed the rules for them to stay in.  They needed to give something to Ronaldo.  Argentina was supposed to win World Cup last time too (To give something to Messi), but then Germany ended up winning throwing a wrench in Fifa's plan.  I think they'll try to give it to Argentina again.
What?

Dr. Pezus

Well Portugal only won the Euro because they changed the rules for them to stay in.  They needed to give something to Ronaldo.  Argentina was supposed to win World Cup last time too (To give something to Messi), but then Germany ended up winning throwing a wrench in Fifa's plan.  I think they'll try to give it to Argentina again.
Uhmm

darkknightkryta

Conspiracy theory guys :P.  I've just seen some weird things is all.

Xevross

Conspiracy theory guys :P.  I've just seen some weird things is all.
I know fifa is corrupt, but its about money not team favouritism :P

darkknightkryta

I know fifa is corrupt, but its about money not team favouritism :P
Yeah, how much money could Fifa have made if Messi and Argentina won the world cup last time?  

Xevross

Yeah, how much money could Fifa have made if Messi and Argentina won the world cup last time?  
None? They don't make money off this kind of thing. The corruption was all about bids and backroom stuff. If there was match fixing involved the scandal would be much, much bigger.

darkknightkryta

None? They don't make money off this kind of thing. The corruption was all about bids and backroom stuff. If there was match fixing involved the scandal would be much, much bigger.
They don't "fix" matches.  They favour matches.  I vividly remember after Germany won, the commentators were going on and on about Messi and his career.  Not, you know, Germany winning.  Same when Italy won in 06.  Zidane literally cost France the World Cup, and they give him the golden boot?  The president didn't even present the cup to Italy.  Portugal was kicked out of Euro Cup, but conveniently rules got changed before the tournament started and they were let through under these new rules and won.  A team that shouldn't have made it to the next round wins the Euro Cup?  Again, all conspiracy theories, but I do believe the higher ups favour teams and try to get them to win.  Not by fixing, but through favouring.

Xevross

They don't "fix" matches.  They favour matches.  I vividly remember after Germany won, the commentators were going on and on about Messi and his career.  Not, you know, Germany winning.  Same when Italy won in 06.  Zidane literally cost France the World Cup, and they give him the golden boot?  The president didn't even present the cup to Italy.  Portugal was kicked out of Euro Cup, but conveniently rules got changed before the tournament started and they were let through under these new rules and won.  A team that shouldn't have made it to the next round wins the Euro Cup?  Again, all conspiracy theories, but I do believe the higher ups favour teams and try to get them to win.  Not by fixing, but through favouring.
What on Earth do the commentators have to do with any of this? They have nothing to do with fifa.

And come on now, that team expansion was decided completely independently to Portugal finishing third in their group.

I really don't think they actively try and favour any countries, the only weird thing they do is the world rankings which don't really seem to make much sense.

Xevross

Anyway, back to what we should be discussing. Good start to this game and it has the makings to be one of the best in the group stages.

Dr. Pezus

Anyway, back to what we should be discussing. Good start to this game and it has the makings to be one of the best in the group stages.
Betting on Croatia 1-0

Pretty boring game so far though

Xevross

Betting on Croatia 1-0

Pretty boring game so far though
There's been so many missed chances. It could end up finishing 3-3 and it wouldn't be surprising. Could go any way.

Go Up