PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

kitler53

I have a 4k tv and a 4k computer monitor that my devkit is hooked up to. Just don't have one for my PS5. It's hooked up to a 3D tv and I don't want to lose that functionality  :'(

These rumored specs are way too powerful if the only goal was to run high quality modes at high frame rates. I don't expect the specs to get fully utilized, but this sounds more like xbox one x to xbox one than ps4 pro to ps4.
sure, specs are great...

...but games are already expensive to make.  how much optimization do you expect devs to do for a tiny user base?  it's not like the PS5 has been pushed as is.  everything is still developed to scale down to PS4 and series S.  

these specs are for bragging rights of having the money to buy it.  games won't utilize it well. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

sure, specs are great...

...but games are already expensive to make.  how much optimization do you expect devs to do for a tiny user base?  it's not like the PS5 has been pushed as is.  everything is still developed to scale down to PS4 and series S.  

these specs are for bragging rights of having the money to buy it.  games won't utilize it well.
I think you're in agreement with me.

One x was for bragging rights. Xbox wanted a system that their core fans could fanboy over. This rumor sounds a lot like that.

Series s will be difficult because PS5/Series X will stop being the bells and whistles platforms. Actually start pushing them to their limit and how can series s keep up?

kitler53

I think you're in agreement with me.

One x was for bragging rights. Xbox wanted a system that their core fans could fanboy over. This rumor sounds a lot like that.

Series s will be difficult because PS5/Series X will stop being the bells and whistles platforms. Actually start pushing them to their limit and how can series s keep up?
okay,.. must have misread that "too powerful to just..." bit.   I thought you were arguing with me. 

anyways,.. may pick one up for myself.   I have 2 PS4s but only one PS5.   planning on building a theatre room in the basement soon and I'd likely get a second PS5 for that.   might as well pick up a pro for the big screen I want. 

the-pi-guy

On the one hand, it wouldn't surprise me.

On the other, the author kind of has a spotty track record for these kinds of stories

Legend

They'd be smarter to do a price cut, unless the headsets are already sold at cost.

Fully pausing production is such a doomsday scenario.

kitler53

They'd be smarter to do a price cut, unless the headsets are already sold at cost.

Fully pausing production is such a doomsday scenario.

a price cut assumes that sony wants to keep making these.    with no games on the horizon i think sony is pretty much ready to abandon VR entirely.   i just don't see this market taking off.   it's really cool for a bit but also there are tons of not-so-great things about it too.   it's like kinect in that way.

Legend

a price cut assumes that sony wants to keep making these.    with no games on the horizon i think sony is pretty much ready to abandon VR entirely.   i just don't see this market taking off.   it's really cool for a bit but also there are tons of not-so-great things about it too.   it's like kinect in that way.
Outside of PSVR2 being the exclusive option for PS5, it has practically nothing going for it. Meta Quest 3 is cheaper, higher quality, wireless, and can run games locally.

Would be cool if they just signed a deal with Facebook and officially supported Quest.

the-pi-guy

The market will take off when it's the size of a pair of glasses, and fixed a few of the other issues. And has actual use cases.

the-pi-guy

I don't remember if I actually posted this.

I think with VR they should have started from the bottom.  

Instead of spending 4-6 years making a big VR game, they should have had a studio dedicated to putting out a smaller title every ~24 months or something.

Sony had a Manchester Studio work on VR for 5 years, and closed without ever making a game. Horizon Call of the Mountain was 4 years I believe?

Astro Bot Rescue Mission was made over 18 months.  This is what they should have been striving for.

Legend

Yeah with vr being so new, they should have pumped out a lot of experimental games to give people plenty of options.

I also wish they had a team that was just focused on porting games to vr. A high quality Horizon 2 port would have been a lot cooler than call of the mountain imo.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Yeah leakers suck. It's pretty funny/sad how often something will be disclosed to 3rd parties and then immediately leaked.

the-pi-guy

Sony says that PSSR has a 250MB memory footprint, but interestingly, developer disclosures reveal that the technique can be backported to any existing PlayStation game. This is at odds with 'back compat plus' features bolted on to PS4 games running on PS5, which required games to run on modern development environments (SDKs). This could be of crucial importance in upgrading existing PS5 games that suffer from image quality problems - and we're seeing a lot of those thanks to low internal resolutions and FSR2 upscaling. The Pro could deliver vastly improved results via its extra GPU power and PSSR upscaling.

Legend

Will be interesting to see how many games get patched. How many PS4 games got patched for the pro? I never owned a consumer PS4 pro so I never got to try it out.

Dr. Pezus

Will be interesting to see how many games get patched. How many PS4 games got patched for the pro? I never owned a consumer PS4 pro so I never got to try it out.
I had a pro. Felt like a lot got patched and pretty much all games after release had a pro mode

Go Up