Why are gaming reviews so inflated?

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 21, 2019, 09:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Statistically the average game rating is a little above 70/100 regardless of platform.  

So why do you think the average game is rated so much higher than 50/100?  Especially since it seems like other mediums do a better job of reaching this average.  

Xevross

Because most games that are reviewed by a few different outslets are pretty good.

There's so many games that the bad ones are usually swept under the rug and ignored, unless they're from a big pub. But big pubs usually make good games , it's harder to fudge up a big AAA game than it is a blockbuster movie.

Legend

Improving tech and quality. Games today are better than games from the past in lots of ways. Say you give a person pong to review and then give them Donkey Kong. It'd be hard to not give DK a better score.

I wonder if historically reviews increased over time.

Every other medium has been around for a lot longer.

ethomaz

But I was told this gen they were hasher than PS360 gen...

DerNebel

But I was told this gen they were hasher than PS360 gen...
They most definitely are actually, with exceptions for certain devs/publishers (Nintendo, Rockstar etc.), just compare the amount of 90+ metacritic on PS3 to the PS4 or how on PS2 sports titles, which nowadays rarely break into the 80s I feel, constantly went above 90.

In regards to the thread I think it's because game reviewing is still a comparatively young field that is still kind of trying to figure things out somewhat. We've started to see some level of "course correction" this generation, with more of the score spectrum being used in game reviews. However I think that there's still a certain hesitation to use the entire spectrum simply because people have been conditioned over the last 10+ years that anything below an 8 essentially means that a game is trash. So I feel like we're still in this process of being eased into review scores actually using the whole 10 point scale this generation.