VizionEck Cube Royale OT: the phantom game

Started by Legend, Mar 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Eye catching!

What music will you use?
Not sure. Might use one from my sound guy, or I might find a song specifically for the trailer.

Well trailers are important. I'm sure most devs put a lot of work in to them too
I don't actually know a lot about how big devs make trailers. Closer to release you can just film stuff, but for early trailers are they making a bunch of little vertical slices similar to demos?

Dr. Pezus

Not sure. Might use one from my sound guy, or I might find a song specifically for the trailer.

I don't actually know a lot about how big devs make trailers. Closer to release you can just film stuff, but for early trailers are they making a bunch of little vertical slices similar to demos?
Well by the time most devs make trailers they probably have finished all/most of the game with just polishing left for the most part.

Legend

Well by the time most devs make trailers they probably have finished all/most of the game with just polishing left for the most part.
Not for the first non cgi trailers. Like Horizon zero dawn reveal trailer.

Dr. Pezus

Not for the first non cgi trailers. Like Horizon zero dawn reveal trailer.
Yeah I suppose they finished that section while others weren't complete

Legend

Ok I've finished the audio recorder and it seems to run well. Pretty much the only thing left is to record a bunch of gameplay.

I also have some graphics things I want to improve but the awesome thing with this setup is that I can do that even after the video is finished and edited.

Legend

Awesome I was able to get some time to record a fair amount of gameplay and try to script some things.

The replays have some issues though so hopefully I can fix that problem is in the replay code and not the recording code. Otherwise the footage wouldn't be usable. (although just the working parts are really cool to watch. Every cube is flying around and fighting inside my computer  ::) )

Legend

These things, they take time.

I'm restructuring the trailer to be more focused on first person gameplay instead of generic 3rd person camera shots. To do this I need to get a few more HUD things sorted out that I previously wasn't planning on showing. Also my recording+playback code needs a bit of work. It's somewhat unstable but most importantly the camera rotation isn't smoothed like player position so it can have a slight jitter when the playback framerate isn't synced with the recording framerate.

Legend

Please become a full member to view this content.

I'm trying to decide what the HUD should show when you kill another player. This screenshot is showing the default state of the HUD when locked on to an enemy.

Should it be floating text like the match log in the bottom left, or should it be enclosed in some sort of shape?
Should it say something like "Target Destroyed," "Enemy Destroyed," etc. or should it be a big "+5" type thing showing your score change?
Or should it not be text based, and instead be an animation or sorts that signifies you made the kill?

(also I'm using a new method to keep things private. If you aren't signed in and don't have enough posts, then you shouldn't be able to see this image)

Dr. Pezus

Please become a full member to view this content.

I'm trying to decide what the HUD should show when you kill another player. This screenshot is showing the default state of the HUD when locked on to an enemy.

Should it be floating text like the match log in the bottom left, or should it be enclosed in some sort of shape?
Should it say something like "Target Destroyed," "Enemy Destroyed," etc. or should it be a big "+5" type thing showing your score change?
Or should it not be text based, and instead be an animation or sorts that signifies you made the kill?

(also I'm using a new method to keep things private. If you aren't signed in and don't have enough posts, then you shouldn't be able to see this image)
Some kind of simple animation imo. Although, numbers can be rewarding as well (just look at borderlands)

the-pi-guy

What kind of mood do you want the player to have? 

You could be silly and do something like "One cube down, many to go."

But I think "Cube Destroyed" would be kind of fun. 

Legend

Apr 12, 2018, 11:16 PM Last Edit: Apr 12, 2018, 11:22 PM by Legend
Some kind of simple animation imo. Although, numbers can be rewarding as well (just look at borderlands)
Yeah I originally had numbers pop up as you did damage. Switched to the health bar above the enemy since it was way more informative.

Getting a kill in VCR is a pretty big deal so the animation could be pretty flashy. TTK is very long.

What kind of mood do you want the player to have?  

You could be silly and do something like "One cube down, many to go."

But I think "Cube Destroyed" would be kind of fun.  

It doesn't have to be super serious but it shouldn't treat the match like a joke.

I want to avoid a long thing like "One cube down, many to go" since it'd feel pretty repetitive having that exact thing happen every time. Instead I'd need a fair amount of variations and then that just turns it into a whole bunch of work.

"Cube Destroyed" is good but that brings me to the inverse of this question: what to display when you're killed? The kill effect and the death effect need to mesh with each other yet have very few similarities. "Cube Destroyed" could work for either situation.

Legend

Looks like I'm going with numbers popping up everytime your score changes. This way the system works for feedback for everything. "+5" when you destroy a cube, "-1" when you yourself are destroyed.

For the trailer I'm now thinking of just having it be a very basic short look into gameplay. Start with a similar opening to the one I posted, show a close up of a cube rising from the ground, show ~20 seconds from the start of a match on the first map, show ~20 seconds of a match on the second map, then show the last ~20 seconds of a match on the last map. Quick and simple, just primarily working as a video to quickly show what the game is.

Dr. Pezus

Hopefully a satisfying sound effect along with the numbers!

SWORDF1SH

Hopefully a satisfying sound effect along with the numbers!
Was about to say this. I think that's pretty important to have.

Legend

Was about to say this. I think that's pretty important to have.
Oh no

Go Up