It's official. Disney announce acquisition of Fox

Started by the-pi-guy, Dec 14, 2017, 01:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Dec 14, 2017, 01:23 PM Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 01:55 PM by the-pi-guy
It's official. Disney announce acquisition of Fox | ResetEra

The Walt Disney Company to Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., after Spinoff of Certain Businesses, for $52.4 Billion in Stock
21st Century Fox to spin off Fox Broadcasting network and stations, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, FS2 and Big Ten Network to its shareholders

Acquisition complements and enhances The Walt Disney Company's ability to provide consumers around the world with more appealing content and entertainment options
Transaction to include 21st Century Fox's film and television studios, cable entertainment networks and international TV businesses
Popular entertainment properties including X-Men, Avatar, The Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic to join Disney's portfolio
Expands Disney's direct-to-consumer offerings with addition of 21st Century Fox's entertainment content, capabilities in the Americas, Europe and Asia; Hulu stake becomes a controlling interest

Xevross

Very informative OP ;)

the-pi-guy

*Coughs* *coughs*

Very informative OP ;)
I don't know what you mean, there is quite a lot of good info in the OP.  

Thanks automagic.  

Legend

I wonder how Disney will handle all the mature rated Fox content. I'd be shocked if they canceled Always Sunny or the plethora of other shows and movies. Hopefully they keep it as a separate brand. Would be awesome to see a new high quality Alien movie.

darkknightkryta

Deep down I wonder id this sale was to get A New Hope Hope and X-men

BananaKing

So does this mean they have avatar?

And all xmen movies will be pg13 going forward?

Xevross

Deep down I wonder id this sale was to get A New Hope Hope and X-men
Definitely not for $52bn

Legend

So does this mean they have avatar?

And all xmen movies will be pg13 going forward?
They have avatar.

Works well since they have a whole theme park section dedicated to it. Hopefully they don't interfere.

the-pi-guy

I wonder how Disney will handle all the mature rated Fox content. I'd be shocked if they canceled Always Sunny or the plethora of other shows and movies. Hopefully they keep it as a separate brand. Would be awesome to see a new high quality Alien movie.
Disney CEO made a comment that Deadpool will continue to be R rated, but suggested that there would be a Marvel sub brand.  

darkknightkryta

Definitely not for $52bn
I wouldn't put it past old rich men to spend that money for something that petty.

Legend

I wouldn't put it past old rich men to spend that money for something that petty.
Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion. No way would they spend $50 billion on just x-men and old movie rights alone.

the-pi-guy

X men was probably a reason, but it certainly wasn't THE reason.  

Fox has a large number of huge franchises, and franchises that historically were huge. The Simpsons, Avatar, X men are hugely influential.  

Legend

Fox has a large number of huge franchises, and franchises that historically were huge. The Simpsons, Avatar, X men are hugely influential.  
It's crazy to stop and think about just how many great franchises have been a part of Fox. If you include TV, I'd argue they were bigger than Universal.

the-pi-guy

Total deal is valued at $66.1 billion.

The deal, officially valued at $66.1 billion including assumption of debt, will create an entertainment colossus that expands Disney's footprint in every area.
Disney Sets Deal To Acquire Most Of Fox In Game-Changing Hollywood Merger | Deadline

darkknightkryta

They wanted A New Hope too.  Think how many billions they'll get from a 4k version of the original version after they raid Lucas' house for his Technicolour copy.