Todd Howard blames Sony for no cross play in Fallout 76

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 30, 2018, 03:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

?

In regards to a hypothetical world in which the game didn't have crossplay.

If PS4+PC takes longer to find a match in SFV then they probably have it using a fully separate player pool. If a game did something like that, then crossplay would be bad for everyone in regards to matchmaking times. Instead I was thinking about the game dynamically placing players into the PS4 or PS4+PC pool if they had crossplay enabled.

I'd love to have crossplay as a dev option. Like you said a lot of the time it isn't really a beneficial feature (outside of inviting specific friends to play with you from a different system, that can be implemented without negatives and people would definitely like), but there are games that really should have it. Take MMO like things for example. Elite Dangerous is a space game on 3 platforms all within a shared universe. Your actions affect everyone on every platform but it's only possible for you to see spaceships of players on the same platform as you. The game would really benefit if crossplay was supported.
It is already heat off I guess... Spider-man is coming too... while Sony output successful games these small features doesn't matter.
Sony is doing great with games but they shouldn't rely on that exclusively. They don't necessarily need crossplay, but they do need to continue to add features to make people happy.