How should VizionEck teach new players?

Started by Legend, May 11, 2017, 01:54 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I want to get some noob input before you fully know how VizionEck Battle plays.

It's not like any game released before. Some fps mechanics, some fighting mechanics, but mostly cube mechanics. I'm doing what I can to make the HUD self explanatory yet that can only go so far. No one will be able to just grab a controller and play correctly.

So in your uninformed opinion, how should I handle the new player experience? Do you like tutorial missions? Videos explaining everything? Hints during loading? Something else?

the-pi-guy

Tutorial missions out of your examples are by far the best way to go about it.

I've read articles (or something) about how Super Mario Bros. is basically perfection for video game design because of how it introduces players to the game.  
I remember the article going into detail about how the goomba was placed to give the player time to try stuff out.  

(Actually it was a video in this article)

Why Super Mario Bros' Level 1-1 Is Perfect

So tutorial missions are fine.  
Or try finding a way to introduce your game by throwing them into some action, without getting frustrating.

Legend

I've read articles (or something) about how Super Mario Bros. is basically perfection for video game design because of how it introduces players to the game.  
I remember the article going into detail about how the goomba was placed to give the player time to try stuff out.  

Or try finding a way to introduce your game by throwing them into some action, without getting frustrating.
Secret tutorials like that are great but they can't work in multiplayer. If I have a tutorial map without instructions, players would just be more confused.

Plus the game uses every button on the DS4. Mario only works because the controls are so simple.

If I have a tutorial, there's no way to avoid a lot of text. Is that still good?

the-pi-guy

Secret tutorials like that are great but they can't work in multiplayer. If I have a tutorial map without instructions, players would just be more confused.

Plus the game uses every button on the DS4. Mario only works because the controls are so simple.

If I have a tutorial, there's no way to avoid a lot of text. Is that still good?
Obviously you can't take every aspect of it too heart, but it still has good lessons, I think. Like the importance of having the player be able to mess around.
Maybe have a practice map, with an option to be guided or unguided.  
Guided will be a full tutorial.  Press x to do y, press z to do a, etc.  
Unguided though could be just a little play ground with empty NPC's that are just there to take hits.  No movement or anything.  

Legend

Obviously you can't take every aspect of it too heart, but it still has good lessons, I think. Like the importance of having the player be able to mess around.
Maybe have a practice map, with an option to be guided or unguided.  
Guided will be a full tutorial.  Press x to do y, press z to do a, etc.  
Unguided though could be just a little play ground with empty NPC's that are just there to take hits.  No movement or anything.  
YEah it's a good goal but I don't imagine I could pull it off with Battle.

LEtting players mess around is smart. I think some dumbed down AI could fill that role. A practice room could be good in general and for first time players would probably be more welcoming than something else. If the room had a mirror, that'd also help it click with players.

darkknightkryta

May 11, 2017, 03:31 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:33 PM by darkknightkryta

This puts it hilariously:

I think the last time I played a game that properly builds without the need of tutorials well is Arkham Asylum.  Uncharted 3 did it well too, but in the mid game.  Uncharted 4 did it way too long.  Other than that I can't think of any recent games that have well thought out gameplay progression.