Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

How good is windows in regards to that stuff?
We aren't doing so much with how specific OS do things.  
Just the how, why threads/processes work the way they do, and how to implement them.  

The professor has sometimes mentioned tidbits about certain OS's, but it's not the focus.  

the-pi-guy

The OS has to basically switch from a process to itself to a process every time interval.  
There's also special permissions that the OS has to manage to ensure that software is limited to it's own space, but also able to expand that space to look infinite.

the-pi-guy

A lot of newbie programmers are really bad.  Like I was never this bad.

Legend

A lot of newbie programmers are really bad.  Like I was never this bad.
I was bad.

On one of my first school projects I didn't understand functions yet and just copy/pasted code inside itself to nest it...

the-pi-guy

Sep 25, 2017, 11:10 PM Last Edit: Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 PM by the-pi-guy
I was bad.

On one of my first school projects I didn't understand functions yet and just copy/pasted code inside itself to nest it...
Lol. That's not too bad. 

Some of these people are in their second programming class, and they still seem to have trouble understanding some pretty basic stuff. 
Like some still have trouble understanding different data types and stuff.

Maybe part of it is I'm kinda biased towards my skill now, but some people seem to have a struggle with it.

the-pi-guy

Have to program a shell. :o

darkknightkryta

How good is windows in regards to that stuff?
Not sure now, but it was terrible before.  Windows didn't really properly multi task until recently.

The OS has to basically switch from a process to itself to a process every time interval.  
There's also special permissions that the OS has to manage to ensure that software is limited to it's own space, but also able to expand that space to look infinite.
I don't remember it that much, but memory management was interesting.  The OS, heap, etc.  So much stuff I forgot but vaguely remember.

Have to program a shell. :o
Command prompt?  

the-pi-guy

Not sure now, but it was terrible before.  Windows didn't really properly multi task until recently.
I don't remember it that much, but memory management was interesting.  The OS, heap, etc.  So much stuff I forgot but vaguely remember.
Command prompt?  
Yeah, a command prompt.

Legend

My brother is taking programing 101 classes but for one class they're using C++. Good opportunity for me to learn it through helping him  ::)

The other day he was using an int instead of a bool in his homework. I tried to help him switch it to a bool, but then he got upset and reverted to an int because he didn't want to change how the variable was assigned  :P

the-pi-guy

My brother is taking programing 101 classes but for one class they're using C++. Good opportunity for me to learn it through helping him  ::)

The other day he was using an int instead of a bool in his homework. I tried to help him switch it to a bool, but then he got upset and reverted to an int because he didn't want to change how the variable was assigned  :P
Well that's not the worst thing to do.

I convinced someone to switch their Boolean to an int, because they were trying to use a loop to find out if a move was valid and another loop for figuring out what move is valid.  

So like, the first loop says yes you can put it in this column, the second one says this is where it goes if you put it in this column.  Put the loops together, and used -1 to say that it wasn't valid.  

Some languages aren't too picky with letting you use ints as a boolean.  Pretty sure C++ let's you use 0 as false, and anything else is true.  

darkknightkryta

Yeah, a command prompt.
We never got to that.  We just had to simulate stuff in C.  Like thread dispatching, file management, etc.  We never had to make a command prompt.  Sounds like fun.

the-pi-guy

Computer Organization is pretty cool.

It's like okay, we are going to use NAND gates to build Or/And/Not gates.  
Now we are going to use these gates to make Mux chips.

And now we built ALU's, which you can use Much chips to make.  

darkknightkryta

Computer Organization is pretty cool.

It's like okay, we are going to use NAND gates to build Or/And/Not gates. 
Now we are going to use these gates to make Mux chips.

And now we built ALU's, which you can use Much chips to make. 
Yeah that stuff was fun.  I'm going to be teaching them soon to my grade 11s.  I still need to learn how to make an 8 bit cpu out of logic gates.

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

I would get so frustrated with the way Objective C handled their garbage collector.  I had this exact issue and there was nothing I could do about it.

Go Up