The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Maybe I'm the one being dumb.

But I've seen a number of exchanges like this:
> These games don't need to cost that much.
> Most of the money is actually going towards paying employees.

Well yes, you pay employees to do the programming, the art, etc.  That's not some startling revelation.

Nop you're not the one being dumb. The statement is just dumb. Most of the production costs goes to employees in most cases

kitler53

all software is like that.   rent, electricity, hardware, and (software) tools are just not that much of a cost compared to the employee wage and benefits.   if you want to cut cost you layoff employees.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

nnodley

that sounds like some good news hopefully

Legend

I hope the next mass effect is great. Andromeda did a lot of things right.

the-pi-guy

I'm sure I'll be excited in May/"E3" time.

But I think this is the lowest I've felt about the industry in a long time.

Legend

Yeah. At least last year I had starfield to look forward to.

Indies are still great. On that front things are as good as ever.

Dr. Pezus

What are y'all talking about. Three pretty big games releasing this Friday!

Btw, I wonder when reviews are out. Dragons dogma probably the best of them?

kitler53

honestly,.. i'm kind of optimistic.    massive 300m dollar games being viewed as unsustainable in the same timeframe as helldivers 2 being a massive success.   i have hope that this rights the ship a bit in terms of how publishers approach game development.   

a game can be pretty but it doesn't really need to be photorealistic, imo.   it needs a great art style but that isn't the same thing as expensive art style.

...but it is unique experiences that will go viral and make the best RoI.   

i really miss the days where sony supported more unique ideas: flower, journy, echochrome, fat princess, little big planet.   i like the other stuff too (like spiderman, GoW, uncharted) but sony has become too singular in the experience they make.   cinematic open-world single-player.   i need better variety in a line-up.   i want more low effort fast release games too.   things like MS did with hi fi rush and pentiment.   i know these particular titles didn't make a ton of money but they are great titles to bolster the value of ps+ and give some diversity in the line-up.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

What are y'all talking about. Three pretty big games releasing this Friday!

Btw, I wonder when reviews are out. Dragons dogma probably the best of them?
Dragon Dogma, Rise of Ronan, and Princess Peach?

Guess we need review prediction threads. I'm interested in Dragon's Dogma but realistically I'll never play it.

Dr. Pezus

honestly,.. i'm kind of optimistic.    massive 300m dollar games being viewed as unsustainable in the same timeframe as helldivers 2 being a massive success.   i have hope that this rights the ship a bit in terms of how publishers approach game development.    

a game can be pretty but it doesn't really need to be photorealistic, imo.   it needs a great art style but that isn't the same thing as expensive art style.

...but it is unique experiences that will go viral and make the best RoI.  

i really miss the days where sony supported more unique ideas: flower, journy, echochrome, fat princess, little big planet.   i like the other stuff too (like spiderman, GoW, uncharted) but sony has become too singular in the experience they make.   cinematic open-world single-player.   i need better variety in a line-up.   i want more low effort fast release games too.   things like MS did with hi fi rush and pentiment.   i know these particular titles didn't make a ton of money but they are great titles to bolster the value of ps+ and give some diversity in the line-up.
Agreed. Ps3 really was the golden age for me, and it continued into early PS4 days. I like new experiences, single player or unique coop/multiplayer. Indie or not does not really matter, as long as it's a good game.

Legend

Legend

Go Up