Sony defends decision to block crossplay: "A responsibility to our install base."

Started by Legend, Jun 13, 2017, 08:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Riderz1337

I feel like Jim Ryan is the only higher up at Sony who has been saying stupid shame lately.

I can understand why they don't have cross platform play, being the market leader and all, but I definitely don't support it.

Oh well, this is just this weeks headline. People will forget about it sooner or later.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Legend

I'm guessing this has to do with Sony vs Microsoft (Not Microsoft's fault on this case).  I mean, I can be playing against someone on PS4 with my PC copy of SF 5 right now if I wasn't posting this this second so there's something else going on.
HOw does it work? Can you see their steam name?

darkknightkryta

HOw does it work? Can you see their steam name?
No.  It's Capcom's Fight Network.  I see people's Fight Network name.  I can search for PSN names on PS4, but I don't "think" I can search Steam names.  I also never tried to see if I can search PSN names on PC.  Like if you had SF5 I can find your PSN name. 

BananaKing

Sony : we support cross platform play as long as it isn't with other platforms.

ethomaz

Xevross

Yeah this isn't just a MS vs Sony thing, as we're in the exact same situation for rocket league now too. Switch, xbox and PC players can play together while PS4 players can only go with PC.

Seriously, if Nintendo, the platform holder which probably has to worry about censorship for kids the most, is on board with this then you know its just Sony being arrogant and only caring about money, and less hassle for them.

SWORDF1SH

Yeah this isn't just a MS vs Sony thing, as we're in the exact same situation for rocket league now too. Switch, xbox and PC players can play together while PS4 players can only go with PC.

Seriously, if Nintendo, the platform holder which probably has to worry about censorship for kids the most, is on board with this then you know its just Sony being arrogant and only caring about money, and less hassle for them.
Yeah the reasons Jim gave are battleship but I wouldn't say it's arrogant. Jim should of just said that Sony don't want to share their userbase with the competition. Why can't people see this is purely a business move?

Cute Pikachu

Every Nintendo is ahead in terms of this position(Rocket league has cross play with PC and XBO and you know the Minecraft fiasco). battleship sony
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play. - NeoGAF

Mojang CEO Jonas Märtensson says the account system will have you logging in to Xbox Live on Switch. Might be part of why Sony is reluctant?http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/Xbox...-p-Playstation
 Here's a quick and dirty translation of some of the interview:
We're tying everything together with Xbox Live. So you log in with Xbox Live ...Even on Switch?
 Yes. (Laughs) That's pretty unique as well! But everyone that's in on this, all the platform holders, have been pretty pragmatic and understanding of that what we're trying to do is create a good experience for the players. We needed a good system to connect everyone, and Xbox Live is a good system.

On lack of Sony support:
How did the cooperation between Xbox and Switch enter the picture? Has it been difficult, politically speaking?
 No. We have always wanted to, from a Minecraft perspective, try and give the players as many options as possible, on any platform. Nintendo has been very open when it comes to working together, so I'd say it's been very smooth.What about Sony? There's one party that's missing in the cross play here.
 Yeah, but we would really like this to come out there as well.But it's stopping at the top?
 Absolutely not on our side.On the other side, I mean.
 You'd have to ask them (laughs).Actually, we will. We have an interview with Jim Ryan later on...
 Do it! We would really like to have Sony in on this.

Dr. Pezus

^^That explains why Sony doesn't want that lol. To help make XBL more commonly used? Fudge that

Xevross

Ohhh, that's actually excusable but I would still rather they went for it.

I wonder if its the same for rocket league

Dr. Pezus

Ohhh, that's actually excusable but I would still rather they went for it.

I wonder if its the same for rocket league
MS really likes pushing XBL (or *cough*GFWL*cough*) on people

Go Up