Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

Legend

Oh my that's sweet.

At the very very least they saved $20 million on this launch.

DD_Bwest

holy thats almost a 20% boost from before.

and another wow for the refurb costs.  the cheapest launch vehicle just got substantially cheaper

Legend

I'm worried about the ITS.

Red Dragon was delayed 2 years, Grey Dragon is happening, pressure tank exploded, and 2nd stage reuse is back to being a priority. Some of these are super cool but they show less focus is being put on Mars. Could it be that the tank exploding has set them back and everything is being revalued? It's possible the ITS was too advanced to be built.

Maybe second stage recovery will work like a mini ITS. Have a heatshield on the side and have a triangular setup of superdracos on the side. They might want to test more ITS concepts before investing in a full version.

We should know in a month or two since an ITS update is coming on their website. Hopefully it isn't scaled back or delayed. Also hope it keeps the iconic window.

Legend

Legend

Falcon Heavy is finally really happening!!!

DD_Bwest

on my phone so not sure i grabbed the best quality pic. view from fairing. spacex shared it.

Legend

nnodley

on my phone so not sure i grabbed the best quality pic. view from fairing. spacex shared it.
That's fantastic!

Legend

Great image showing how big an object the Falcon can send to space.

DD_Bwest

is it gonna be live streamed or is the classified nature of this mission going to prevent that?  lol

Legend

is it gonna be live streamed or is the classified nature of this mission going to prevent that?  lol
LIve streamed but no footage of second stage

DD_Bwest

LIve streamed but no footage of second stage
neato atleast  we get the landing then.  assuming there will be an attempt lol

Legend

neato atleast  we get the landing then.  assuming there will be an attempt lol
Yeah it's a return to launch site. Should have the best views yet!

DD_Bwest

Yeah it's a return to launch site. Should have the best views yet!
woah... maybe i will get up for this then! 7est?

edit:  just checked NSF, ya its 7est lol

Go Up