Barbie computer engineer story withdrawn after sexism row

Started by 7H3, Nov 21, 2014, 02:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/21/barbie-computer-engineer-story-withdrawn-sexist-mattel
All future Barbie titles "will be written to inspire girls' imaginations and portray an empowered Barbie character", Barbie manufacturer Mattel has said, after apologising for the Barbie I Can Be A Computer Engineer book and pulling the problematic title from online sale. The book had caused outrage this week for showing Barbie entirely dependent on the help of men to actually be a computer engineer.

First published in 2010, the title was brought to the internet's attention earlier this week by a blog from the author Pamela Ribon. Ribon quoted a scene from the story in which Barbie tells Skipper: "I'm designing a game that shows kids how computers work … You can make a robot puppy do cute tricks by matching up coloured blocks!" But Barbie goes on to admit: "I'm only creating the design ideas … I'll need Steven and Brian's help to turn it into a real game!"

Later Barbie, who wears her flash drive on a pink heart-shaped necklace, gets a computer virus, and infects Skipper's computer. Ribon quotes: "Hi, guys," says Barbie. "I tried to send you my designs, but I ended up crashing my laptop -- and Skipper's too! I need to get back the lost files and repair both of our laptops."

"It will go faster if Brian and I help," offers Steven."Great!" says Barbie."

Ribon concludes: "IT WILL GO FASTER IF BRIAN AND I HELP, offer the men voices. 'Step aside, Barbie.' YOU'VE BROKEN ENOUGH, NOW."

Her post brought down an avalanche of criticism on the book, which had already attracted a host of negative reviews on Amazon. Now Mattel has pulled the title from online sale, and issued a statement via the character's Facebook page.

yes ladies do not ask or accept help from men or you are fueling sexism!
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Yeah maybe the book is bad, but just from those quotes it seems like an over reaction.

7H3

Yeah maybe the book is bad, but just from those quotes it seems like an over reaction.

that's what I'm thinking as well, but I haven't read the book so I don't really know. I also heard about this on the radio yesterday morning lol
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

darkknightkryta

Yeah, there's only women in school and in the work place.