The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Wait maybe I'm not getting this right. But what exactly is this minimum? I have to have 5$ minimum in my account? Or what exactly
So if I went to buy say a dynamic theme, which for me here is like $1.50 or something, it won't just charge me the price of the dynamic theme.  it has to charge me $5 to pay for it.  Then the rest of the money goes into my psn wallet.

Xevross

So if I went to buy say a dynamic theme, which for me here is like $1.50 or something, it won't just charge me the price of the dynamic theme.  it has to charge me $5 to pay for it.  Then the rest of the money goes into my psn wallet.
Yeah this is how it works for us too. Basically every item is paid for from your wallet, and you have to top up the wallet by at least £5/$5 whenever you top it up to buy something

Legend

Essentially the minimum transaction amount is $5 to your credit card, huh.

Does that even apply to in game microtransactions?

nnodley

Essentially the minimum transaction amount is $5 to your credit card, huh.

Does that even apply to in game microtransactions?
It probably would since MT's in games take you to the store to buy.  Or i would assume it would apply.  I've never liked that it has to take $5 for even 99 cents.  

nnodley

Kinda getting hyped for No Man's Sky's Next update!  Don't want to get my hopes up too much though just in case its not as good as some are hoping.  Been wanting to play it again, but would rather just start fresh with the new update.

Xevross

Aliens: Colonial Marines AI fixed by a single letter | ResetEra

In a recent thread recommending the PC version of Aliens: Colonial Marines for less than $3, a post happened to single out an announcement made on the ModDB page for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

A passionate modder who has made it his mission to overhaul aspects of the absolutely dreadful Colonial Marines was working on tinkering his highly regarded overhaul mod known as TemplarGFX's ACM Overhaul when he stumbled upon something interesting in the games .ini files.I think I'll let him explain...

A new update will be coming soon with this change included, however after getting reports back from several players on how much this effects the game, I just had to post it now

Inside your games config file (My Document\My Games\Aliens Colonial Marines\PecanGame\Config\PecanEngine.ini) is the following line of code :

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTeather

Im sure you'll notice the spelling mistake

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTether

If you fix it to look like the above and then play the game, the difference is pretty crazy!

Why is this line important? There are two reasons :
 1) AttachXenoToTeather doesn't do anything. Its basically empty or stripped
 2) AttachPawnToTether does ALOT. It controls tactical position adjustment, patrolling and target zoning

When a Xeno is spawned, it is attached to a zone tether. This zone tells the Xeno what area is its fighting space and where different exits are. In Combat, a Xeno will be forced to switch to a new tether (such as one behind you) so as to flank, or disperse so they aren't so grouped up etc. (*disclaimer* this is inferred opinion, I cant see the actual code only bits)

Whenever the game tried to do this, nothing happened. Now it does!Click to expand...
Knowing full well how absurd this sounds on the surface, I took it upon myself to reinstall the PC version of the game, look at the .ini file and check myself. Sure enough, a single letter typo was found exactly where he claimed. I was in disbelief. As recommended, I fixed the typo, saved it in Notepad and booted the game up.

The improvement is immediately recognizable in your first encounters with the Xenos. While they still charge you perched on their hind legs, they now crawl far more often, flank you using vents and holes in the environment and are generally far more engaged and aggressive. Five years after release, a single letter managed to overhaul the entirety of the enemy AI behavior in the game.

While I am still a vehement detractor of Gearbox and the game itself and would recommend against picking this up for any price, if you already own the game on Steam I wholeheartedly recommend trying this out yourself. Also consider enhancing your experience with the TemplarGFX ACM overhaul mod as it brings a host of other small but noticeable improvements to the game. And while I'm here, don't forget to give this ol' gem a watch.

UPDATE:
 JigglesBunny said:  
For those who were asking for it, PC Gamer put up an article with comparison videos and a firsthand account of their experience with the fix.

Spoiler: They also noticed the improvement.Click to expand...
[/size]

Holy shame this is hilarious. How was this not noticed?!

the-pi-guy

Aliens: Colonial Marines AI fixed by a single letter | ResetEra

Knowing full well how absurd this sounds on the surface, I took it upon myself to reinstall the PC version of the game, look at the .ini file and check myself. Sure enough, a single letter typo was found exactly where he claimed. I was in disbelief. As recommended, I fixed the typo, saved it in Notepad and booted the game up.

The improvement is immediately recognizable in your first encounters with the Xenos. While they still charge you perched on their hind legs, they now crawl far more often, flank you using vents and holes in the environment and are generally far more engaged and aggressive. Five years after release, a single letter managed to overhaul the entirety of the enemy AI behavior in the game.

While I am still a vehement detractor of Gearbox and the game itself and would recommend against picking this up for any price, if you already own the game on Steam I wholeheartedly recommend trying this out yourself. Also consider enhancing your experience with the TemplarGFX ACM overhaul mod as it brings a host of other small but noticeable improvements to the game. And while I'm here, don't forget to give this ol' gem a watch.

UPDATE:
 JigglesBunny said:       [/size]

Holy shame this is hilarious. How was this not noticed?!
Lol I posted a different article about this in another thread.  

Hmmm, it really seems like a bunch of things would have had to go wrong.  

Why didnt they notice it not working as it should have?  

Was there no error code to make it known?  (Or maybe there was a large number of errors, and they just didn't go through them) The alternative is that they messed up the try catch, or maybe they had it set up to try finding the file and running without it if it wasn't found.  

Dr. Pezus

Man, xcom 2 is bloody hard

Legend

Man, xcom 2 is bloody hard
I think I've given up on it. Even on easy it's just too frustrating to play.

Loved the first XCOM so much but either they changed some things or I'm in a different mental state.

Dr. Pezus

I think I've given up on it. Even on easy it's just too frustrating to play.

Loved the first XCOM so much but either they changed some things or I'm in a different mental state.
I started on the default, veteran or something (second easiest) and couldn't win the first mission (after the tutorial).

nnodley

This looks dope!!  Can't wait to play in 3rd person. Terrain generation looks better.   Trees and plants look better too.  They didn't show animals so i'm guessing all hope for there being animals like in pre-release is lost. AND RINGED PLANETS!!!

Legend

nnodley

So i stumbled onto like a 95% water world in No Man's Sky today.  Was really cool.  Flew around for a good 3 or 4 minutes till I finally came upon some larger islands.

Dr. Pezus

Haha banana

Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.  

Update:

3 months later and here we are. i said the NS will be dead on arrival in the west and i fairly confident in that prediction. and while a lot of the communication blunders they commited at the reveal are now rectified. the main issues have proven to turn out true. on the Home console side, The Switch is is outdated, less capable and weak, and much more expensive than a home console with those specs should be. and on the portable side its a way to expensive for a handheld, less portable and a much weaker battery life. 

As a result of its weaker hardware third parties are ditching the Switch for the most part. No Mass Effect, Ghost Recon, For Honor, FF15, Red Dead, Prey, Resident Evil and so on. And Nintendo's approach to software isnt any better. still insisting on these over priced ridiculous Mini games. 1, 2 Switch? sigh... Arms.... Sigh... 

This whole thing just seems like another WiiU all over again.

Original OP:

The Dust is starting to settle of the Nintendo Switch announcement. And its pretty clear Nintendo hasnt learnt much after the horrendous WiiU Reveal.

- The Trailer certainly gives a better idea about what the NX is, much more than the WiiU trailer did. The trailer gives the impression that the NS is a Hybrid system. however, nintendo did say that the docking station only serves to connect the NS to the TV, as well as provide power. basically, the Dock is pretty much a glorified charging station that has an HDMI, Thus resulting it in technicially being a portable. you wouldnt call a PSP a "Hybrid" because you can connect it to a TV with a cable, right? However, one of the issues arises when Nintendo is calling the NS a "home gaming system". even though it technicially isnt.

- The first point isnt that bad, its not a huge problem sure. it doesnt really matter what the NS technicially is considered if the consumers like it. but it does show that Nintendo still has a communiction problem, and that these 3 minute trailers are no where near enough to illustrate what their consoles are and what they have to offer. 

- Nintendo then goes on to say that no new information will be given out until next year. Leaving a plethora amount of crucial questions unanswered. which is simply baffling. so many crucial questions go unanswered. for a system that is just 5 months away from launch, the number of question marks circling around the reveal is outstanding.

Taking a look at PS4 reveal, the shortcomings are astronomical in comparison. First and foremost, Sony took the time to explain their vision for their new console, where they believe the market place is heading, where they would like to take it. they explained what type of gamers the PS4 would appeal to. they explained the PS4's specs, what its capable of and what we can expect, they talked about networking features,  they showed their support for devs, both tripple A and indie, and what comes in between. And most importantly they announced games, and many of them.  Nintendo didnt bother to do any of these things. 

- This takes us to another point, The Games. What types of games are we expected to play on the NS? how can nintendo reveal a new console, without revealing any games for it? and a massive miscommunication blunder accures here. Skyrim and NBA for both shown for the NS, yet it turns out, both games arent even confirmed for the console. how can this be? How can Nintendo show off this console with games that arent even confirmed for the system yet? chances are they are coming to the system, yes. but the fact that nobody can be certain is just mind boggling, and shows a huge in inefficiency at communicating what this system has to offer. whats even more confusing is that they showed off first party games, that arent even confirmed. are mario kart, splatoon and 3D mario new games? are they ports? are they even coming to the system? How can nintendo not have these questions answered?

- With the NS, Nintendo seems to have made a similar issue they did with the WiiU. They are making a system that is trying to appeal to everybody, which in return will appeal to nobody. well obviously not nobody nobody, but you get my point. As Nintendo said, NS is supposed to be their next "Home System". But by making it a hybrid, they have lost a crucial aspect that other home systems have. the fact that its a dedicated home system. adding portability to it means that is will be weaker, it will be less capable, and it will be more expensive than it should be, in exchange for offering a feature that dedicated console gamers dont want or really need. does that ring a bell? if not, ill spill it out for you. its one of the main issues the WiiU had. 

And the same logic goes for the portable gaming consumer. The system is more expenisve, has less portability, and will have a weaker battery life. and whats baffling here is not did Nintendo not learn from their mistakes, they also didnt learn from Sony's with the Vita. consumers dont really want AAA and home console gaming experiences on the go. 

My rant can go on for even longer than it already is. but to try and cut it a bit, lets see how many unanswered questions there are about the NS. How powerfull is the NS? what games are on it? What games can we expect at launch? whats the price? how much storage does it have? does it support HDR? what kind of network features does it have? does it have virtual console support? does it have apps like netflix and youtube? is the screen a touch screen? how long is the batter life? how big is the screen? Does it support external hard drives? what type of screen does it have? 

As it stands now, Nintendo is just selling us the concept, not the product itself. and considering that the NS is releasing in roughly 5 months, that is concerning to say the least. And Nintendos refusal to even talk about their console is not only puzzling, but out right stupid. Nintendo seems to be a company that refuses to learn from its mistakes, and the mistakes done by others. 

Xevross

Haha banana

Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.  

Lol, well I guess it wasn't an unreasonable prediction. It was hard to tell where the Switch would go. I think the consistent game launches in the first year helped a lot. As did launching the platform with one of the best games of all time.

Go Up