What CPU?

Jaguar
Something between the two
Zen
a sexy, smoothly peeled potato

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

I wonder if Scorpio will have problems with people confusing it for a next gen system. It's stupid how many PS fans are misinformed and think Sony needs to turn around and quickly announce the PS5.

MS would be smart to include "XBOX One" in the name like the rumors suggest.

Legend

nnodley

I wonder if Scorpio will have problems with people confusing it for a next gen system. It's stupid how many PS fans are misinformed and think Sony needs to turn around and quickly announce the PS5.

MS would be smart to include "XBOX One" in the name like the rumors suggest.
Honestly I think MS is banking on people being confused.   It might help push some sales at first.

Kerotan

Honestly I think MS is banking on people being confused.   It might help push some sales at first.
Confusion is Microsoft's best tool.  And it shows how desperate they are.  they confuse people into thinking they're outselling the ps4 WW using pr from NPD.  They confused people into thinking the xbox slim was a 4k gaming comsole.  And I'm sure they'll try and confuse people into thinking this is next gen.

One thing they can't confuse people with though.  And that's all the awesome Playstation and Nintendo exclusives aren't on xbox.

DerNebel

Jesus, just saw someone on r/PS4 saying that the Scorpio would run RDR2 at 4K/60fps and people upvoted that. Sometimes I have to really wonder, are console people really that stupid?

ethomaz

Forget all the talk about DX12 features added to GPU (that is not DX12 feature itself but a Polaris feature that MS will use together with DX12 like Sony uses with their low level APIs) and others tricks added to CPU... talking about what the console can delivery with that hardware.

> XB1: GPU +358%, CPU +31%, RAM +50%, BW +379%
> PS4: GPU +226%, CPU +43%, RAM +50%, BW +85%
> Pro: GPU +43%, CPU +9%, RAM +33%, BW +49%

These are all specs that affect performance after all... so can Scorpio really reach the mystical 4k??? I do think not with small part of the library being the exception... most games won't be 4k.

- 1080p games on XB1 will probably be 4k on Scorpio.
- 900p games on XB1 will probably be close to 4k on Scorpio.
- 1080p games on PS4 will probably be close to 4k on Scorpio.
- 900p on PS4 will be probably be in the middle of half-4k and 4k.
- 4k games on Pro will be probably 4k on Scorpio.
- 1800p games on Pro will be probably 4k on Scorpio.
- 1440p games on Pro will probably be near 4k on Scorpio.
- 1200p games on Pro will be probably be in the middle of half-4k and 4k.
- 1080p games on Pro will be probably below half-4k on Scorpio.

ethomaz

Legend

I Think this reveal was actually really smart for overselling the system. DF made the cpu sound non Jaguar so the Zen group are more ok with it. The narrative of Forza 6 being 4k 60 fps without optimization or full GPU usage is also really selling the idea that this is a 4k 60 fps machine.

By the time E3 comes around and 30fps games are shown, the devs will get the blame instead of the hardware.

ethomaz

I Think this reveal was actually really smart for overselling the system. DF made the cpu sound non Jaguar so the Zen group are more ok with it. The narrative of Forza 6 being 4k 60 fps without optimization or full GPU usage is also really selling the idea that this is a 4k 60 fps machine.

By the time E3 comes around and 30fps games are shown, the devs will get the blame instead of the hardware.
The DF reveal was a PR move even AnandTech said that... like they just reveled exactly what MS said to them without doubt or try to look if it is practical what MS said to them.

Microsoft's Project Scorpio: More Hardware Details Revealed

Well, some of the details have come to the surface through a PR reveal with Eurogamer's Digital Foundry.
AnandTech is pretty used to PR slides with these type of info but what matter what the end is the result of the system with real test done... AMD, nVidia, Intel do a lot of these PR reveal in PC world.

ethomaz

Apr 07, 2017, 07:53 PM Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 07:55 PM by ethomaz
BTW the Brazilian exclusive interview about Scorpio.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It is fudgy nothing but well it is an exclusive interview.

ethomaz

Apr 07, 2017, 08:15 PM Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 08:24 PM by ethomaz
GAF thought it was a Secret Sauce of Scorpio and I said to my friends this was only how it works with low level APIs... DF now updated the article to say Xbox One already has the same DX12 feature into the hardware (it is just part of the GCN where Polaris improved over the XB1/PS4... Pro uses Polaris too).

ethomaz

Apr 07, 2017, 08:49 PM Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017, 09:10 PM by ethomaz
Quote from: Albert Penello
Beat me to it.

I'm on the podcast but this forum will hate it. I'm trying to REALLY oversimplify the DF piece for a more casual audience. Don't expect anything new really, it's a recap. Unless you like to hear me and Larry banter with each other.

Richard has said he's got more stories coming. I do not have insight into when those will hit. Possibly this weekend?

And it wasn't publicized too much yesterday, but Gamasutra will also have a deep-dive on our development work for those that are into that sort of thing. That hits next week I believe and I think people will dig hearing about how developers will create for both Xbox One and Scorpio.

So yes, moar.
No HDMI in too.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Originally Posted by Syrus

Can you give an answer if the Scorpio will have a second HDMI Out for Audio??

It does not. Same port layout as Xbox One S.

BTW he is pretty active on GAF again :D

Legend

No HDMI in too.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio
It does not. Same port layout as Xbox One S.

BTW he is pretty active on GAF again :D
HDMI in is on XBOX One S. It lacks a Kinect Port, that's what they mean.

GAF thought it was a Secret Sauce of Scorpio and I said to my friends this was only how it works with low level APIs... DF now updated the article to say Xbox One already has the same DX12 feature into the hardware (it is just part of the GCN where Polaris improved over the XB1/PS4... Pro uses Polaris too).

I didn't expect that, but it's pretty interesting. Wonder why Digital Foundry screwed up with that part?

ethomaz

But Kinect used a second HDMI out?

Legend

But Kinect used a second HDMI out?
No Kinect used a custom port.

Go Up