God of War UK Sales - Best Opening for Series But Only Half of Uncharted 4

Started by Xevross, Apr 22, 2018, 06:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

UK God of War launch is the biggest in the series history | GamesIndustry.biz

I thought I'd make a thread for it. 35% more than GOW 3 is great for the series, but quite disappointing for Sony this gen. It means God of War sold 90k first week in the UK.

Uncharted 4 sold 180k, Horizon sold 120k. So quite a lot less than both. Also much less than Far Cry and Monster Hunter, so the third biggest launch of the year so far.

God of War has always been stronger in North America, but I was expecting to see a better UK performance than this. Lets hope for good legs.

Xevross

Apr 22, 2018, 06:54 PM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 06:55 PM by Xevross
One thing which might have negatively influenced this is the lack of stock on amazon. Maybe second week sales will be much stronger than normal for AAA games. Word of mouth (which is obviously top draw) will help with that.

None of my friends have got it yet but I'm hoping to convince them.

Also note that U4 and Horizon were Tuesdays, which gives them a fair advantage. If God of War was released on a Tuesday then sales might be quite a bit closer to Horizon.

Legend

Friday release makes sense.

Supa sales!!!

the-pi-guy

Apr 22, 2018, 07:08 PM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 08:44 PM by the-pi-guy
One thing which might have negatively influenced this is the lack of stock on amazon. Maybe second week sales will be much stronger than normal for AAA games. Word of mouth (which is obviously top draw) will help with that.

Also note that U4 and Horizon were Tuesdays, which gives them a fair advantage. If God of War was released on a Tuesday then sales might be quite a bit closer to Horizon.
Both probably hurt. 
Also digital is probably even bigger now, than a year ago.  (Especially considering the Amazon thing).

Dr. Pezus

Apr 22, 2018, 07:17 PM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 07:27 PM by Dr. Pezus
Pretty disappointing. Expect digital to be huge though due to shortages among other stuff and global sales 3.5m+ fw

BTW, why are UK sales out so early?

BananaKing

I told you guys who were in the video game sales thread to not predict insane numbers. It's a good launch but not great. Hopefully it can achieve similar growth in the EU so it can have decent and strong sales there. And hopefully it will be stronger than ever in the USA.

Xevross

Pretty disappointing. Expect digital to be huge though due to shortages among other stuff and global sales 3.5m+ fw

BTW, why are UK sales out so early?
No idea, I guess one site which gets the info decided to post it today

DerNebel

Jesus christ, I see the Franz Ferdinand reactions that this news created on Resetera and come here just to find people talking the same way around here?

Seriously people, the game, including digital sales, will have close to doubled the launch numbers of the previous strongest launch in the series, and you are talking about "disappointing numbers".

What did you expect? God of War tripling God of War 3 launch numbers? Let's keep things in perspective please.

Xevross

Apr 22, 2018, 09:01 PM Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 09:03 PM by Xevross
Jesus christ, I see the Franz Ferdinand reactions that this news created on Resetera and come here just to find people talking the same way around here?

Seriously people, the game, including digital sales, will have close to doubled the launch numbers of the previous strongest launch in the series, and you are talking about "disappointing numbers".

What did you expect? God of War tripling God of War 3 launch numbers? Let's keep things in perspective please.
Most of us were expecting 100k+ physical sales, following the huge increases and success of other Sony franchises this generation. Obviously 90k is still a great result compared to the series past sales, but its not the fantastic result I was hoping for.

Its only compared to Uncharted 4 it looks bad really. Uncharted/ God of War had similar sales for the first three main games, but Uncharted 4's UK launch blasted this one's to bits (2:1), which I didn't expect at all. I thought this would at least manage around 2/3 of what Uncharted 4 could do. Maybe with increased digital it did, bit 2/3 is probably still the upper limit.

Uncharted 4 had very poor initial legs, I hope God of War is better.

Xevross

I just checked and yep, Uncharted 4 was up 66% on Uncharted 3 in the UK. I was expecting God of War to get a similar boost over GoW3, and perhaps more than that due to how big this game seem to have got. 66% boost would have given it almost 120k, basically equal to Horizon. That was probably not an unreasonable expectation, so seeing it only get a 35% boost is a little disappointing.

Calling this a Franz Ferdinand reaction is a pretty bad look.

DerNebel

Most of us were expecting 100k+ physical sales, following the huge increases and success of other Sony franchises this generation. Obviously 90k is still a great result compared to the series past sales, but its not the fantastic result I was hoping for.

Its only compared to Uncharted 4 it looks bad really. Uncharted/ God of War had similar sales for the first three main games, but Uncharted 4's UK launch blasted this one's to bits (2:1), which I didn't expect at all. I thought this would at least manage around 2/3 of what Uncharted 4 could do. Maybe with increased digital it did, bit 2/3 is probably still the upper limit.

Uncharted 4 had very poor initial legs, I hope God of War is better.
Uncharted 3's launch sales were way above God of War 3's in the UK.

Dr. Pezus

I just checked and yep, Uncharted 4 was up 66% on Uncharted 3 in the UK. I was expecting God of War to get a similar boost over GoW3, and perhaps more than that due to how big this game seem to have got. 66% boost would have given it almost 120k, basically equal to Horizon. That was probably not an unreasonable expectation, so seeing it only get a 35% boost is a little disappointing.

Were Amazon's issues with Sony prevalent back when Horizon and UC4 launched?

Anyway, I'm still expecting at least 3m all things considered. Might take the UK a while to realize how great the game is and different from previous ones.

DerNebel

Taking what is going to amount to maybe an 70%+ launch growth for a historically not particularly strong franchise in the UK, and calling it disappointing because it doesn't measure up to what was essentially Sonys biggest launch in who knows how long, is pretty fitting of that term.

Like I said, people need to learn to keep things in perspective and to not let fudgy internet hype completely cloud their judgement with these things, especially with an US centric franchise like this, since so much internet culture is driven by the US.

Xevross

Were Amazon's issues with Sony prevalent back when Horizon and UC4 launched?

Anyway, I'm still expecting at least 3m all things considered. Might take the UK a while to realize how great the game is and different from previous ones.
No, not at all. Its a weird one to judge. It was available elsewhere quite widely so I don't know if the lack of stock at amazon will have had much of an effect. It maybe increased the digital ratio slightly.

Taking what is going to amount to maybe an 70%+ launch growth for a historically not particularly strong franchise in the UK, and calling it disappointing because it doesn't measure up to what was essentially Sonys biggest launch in who knows how long, is pretty fitting of that term.

Like I said, people need to learn to keep things in perspective and to not let fudgy internet hype completely cloud their judgement with these things, especially with an US centric franchise like this, since so much internet culture is driven by the US.
I said it was still a great launch, and a great growth for the series. The size of Uncharted doesn't matter, the relative increase can still be compared. 35% physical sales increase compared to 66% is not as good. Straight up. God of War hasn't grown anywhere near as much as Uncharted did in the UK on PS4, when God of War had more potential to as it was a reboot.

I wasn't judging anything off hype, just numbers. You're forgetting Horizon as well, which managed 30k more first week than God of War. You'd have thought those two would be more comparable, since God of War was already an established franchise, but Horzion did a fair amount better. Maybe with digital and the extra days taken into account, they're more equivalent but its hard to tell about that. Horizon still had 30% digital sales.

Kerotan

Gow3 ps3 didn't have digital so this is quite a big increase. Congrats